Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

missing
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetle683
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: missing Reply with quote

i have a 57 oval , when parked up for long periods all the petrol evaporates,when i fill up and start up,is missing on cylinders 3 or 4 ,i remove the plug and turn over ,plugback in and all is back to normal?????? why is that happening and is there an easier way of clearing it ??? i should and do normally start it more often, but with the lockdown iwas unable to make the journey thanks Question
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: missing Reply with quote

do you guy's have ethanol in your gas there in the uk? we do here in California.
that shit is evil . use stabil additive in the gas for long term storage . here the fuel evaporates and leaves behind the white powder that clings to the bottom of the fuel bowl turns to cement! I think that is the other additives they put in it? my guess Confused
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: missing Reply with quote

… Closer to home is Oklahoma and our QT gas offers gas-with corn = ethanol or NON-ethanol - I always purchase the latter, in spite of the fifteen cents per gallon higher price.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: missing Reply with quote

in the uk we currently have 5% ethanol but they want to raise it to 10% by next year. I am not aware of any non ethanol option. I use an additive and regularly fire-up my car during hibernation. you say all the petrol evaporated Shocked is that in the tank? it is advisable to keep the tank full as ethanol absorbs water from the air.
I'm not sure why only cylinders 3/4 are affected. what are the plugs looking like?

ps just wear a dominic cummings mask and you can do anything under lockdown Wink

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
beetle683
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: missing Reply with quote

Yeah, it has only happened twice , each time as I say when it has been left for long periods .and up to now it’s only been affecting cylinders 3 the first time and 4 the second time ? Al petrol in tank gone !!!! Plugs are fine ? As I say once I remove the plug and turn over , it runs perfect ?? The first time it happened I took it for a good run thinking it would clear itself but it didn’t !! removed plug - turned over and sweet as a nut ! Puzzled ??? Will be making more of an effort to keep it ticking over ....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: