Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 bay window - hack gone wrong??
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdl3051
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: 72 bay window - hack gone wrong?? Reply with quote

Previous owner may have tried adding access panel but also looks like they ripped it open trying to get to the gas tank? Who knows?

I don’t know if there enough metal left to match everything up and weld?!

I have the access panel so I’ll probably try and finish that part once I get it back together.

Could I get a new piece here?

Any thoughts?? Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bay window - hack gone wrong?? Reply with quote

Double post, delete

Last edited by Wildthings on Mon May 25, 2020 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bay window - hack gone wrong?? Reply with quote

Man what a major FU. A good metal worker could fix that up for you in an afternoon fairly well, or maybe you could find a donor bus to cut the metal out of getting a large enough piece to get some overlap to make the welding a bit easier. Note that the pattern of the ribs has changed over the years so you want to match what you have. Since it looks like you have a hatch in the deck to access your engine that would make you bus a '73.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bay window - hack gone wrong?? Reply with quote

Holy smokes! Did he use a rock and a dull chisel?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bay window - hack gone wrong?? Reply with quote

Savage! Shocked

If you can get the seat belt mounts back into shape the rest can likely be welded up with a strip of metal over the seam. If not then explore a clip section from a bus wrecker that's a little wider all around than the cuts on yours.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bay window - hack gone wrong?? Reply with quote

was the previous owners birth stone crystal meth?

holy shit Shocked

I would see how straight I could get it, then it would be donor time. seeing how bad it's bent up there I would suspect damage to the gas tank floor as well. the seat belt brackets are diesel...so if those are bent, I suspect the tank floor would be as well.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
mdl3051
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bay window - hack gone wrong?? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Man what a major FU. A good metal worker could fix that up for you in an afternoon fairly well, or maybe you could find a donor bus to cut the metal out of getting a large enough piece to get some overlap to make the welding a bit easier. Note that the pattern of the ribs has changed over the years so you want to match what you have. Since it looks like you have a hatch in the deck to access your engine that would make you bus a '73.

It’s a 72 but looks like they tried to ad the access panel like a 73+.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bay window - hack gone wrong?? Reply with quote

Hello,
Those damned DEA/Border crossing searches...
Yep, Let's check the gas tank boys, I've never cut into one of these before...
mdl3051
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bay window - hack gone wrong?? Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:
Hello,
Those damned DEA/Border crossing searches...
Yep, Let's check the gas tank boys, I've never cut into one of these before...

You know that’s just crazy enough to be true!
mdl3051
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bay window - hack gone wrong?? Reply with quote

Decided to drill out the spot welds so I can straighten everything out easier. Still gonna need to patch.

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bay window - hack gone wrong?? Reply with quote

that is just gross. everything on that crack heads bus is suspect. check the fuse panel for bullets and tinfoil.
mdl3051
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bay window - hack gone wrong?? Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
that is just gross. everything on that crack heads bus is suspect. check the fuse panel for bullets and tinfoil.

Took care of that already! Smile

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: 72 bay window - hack gone wrong?? Reply with quote

Hope there is something good about that van. Looks like more work than I would be wanting to put into it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: 72 bay window - hack gone wrong?? Reply with quote

Stop now, sign it, and call the nearest Modern Art Museum
mdl3051
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: 72 bay window - hack gone wrong?? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Hope there is something good about that van. Looks like more work than I would be wanting to put into it.

Yep, plenty good about it. Yep, lots of work but I’m learning tons and excited to bring an abused bus back to life!
mdl3051
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: 72 bay window - hack gone wrong?? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Have faith my son!
mdl3051
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: 72 bay window - hack gone wrong?? Reply with quote

mdl3051 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Yep, plenty good about it. Yep, lots of work but I’m learning tons and excited to bring an abused bus back to life!

Lots of good - worth the effort.

babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: 72 bay window - hack gone wrong?? Reply with quote

mdl3051 wrote:
Yep, lots of work but I’m learning tons and excited to bring an abused bus back to life!

This right here.^^^^ Plus you have a team working on it. Though you may never recover the monetary investment, the sweat equity is worth every tired muscle. You've got this. Subscribed. Very Happy
mdl3051
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: 72 bay window - hack gone wrong?? Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
mdl3051 wrote:
Yep, lots of work but I’m learning tons and excited to bring an abused bus back to life!

This right here.^^^^ Plus you have a team working on it. Though you may never recover the monetary investment, the sweat equity is worth every tired muscle. You've got this. Subscribed. Very Happy

Definitely a labor of love. Not doing it for the money!
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bay window - hack gone wrong?? Reply with quote

mdl3051 wrote:
mdl3051 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Lots of good - worth the effort.

Why does that First Picture remind me of my Ninth Grade Shop Class, with the person in the Rear who's painting, about to possibly spray the head of the person standing in front of them ,accidentally.... Razz Razz
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: