Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Tugmaster wrote:
Quick question. Is your steering column support the one from Berrien/Acme or is it your pun design? Thanks, Todd

The bar going from side to side is the berrian support. The one around the column through the fire wall is my design.

The berrian bar needed some modification to fit correctly. The brackets that bolted to the body needed twisted so the bar would sit flat on top of it.
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Today's progress: carpet formed and glued to the padding and installed. Roll bar installed. Seats, harnesses, and side pods left to do!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

I hope this looks as good in person as it does in photos, because it is very attractive so far. Plus carpet padding in a buggy is something I wouldn't have considered, but if you can keep her dry . . . Wink
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:
I hope this looks as good in person as it does in photos, because it is very attractive so far. Plus carpet padding in a buggy is something I wouldn't have considered, but if you can keep her dry . . . Wink

well that's the plan.. no windshield wipers either, so she has an enclosed trailer that's her home unless its nice out! lol but that unexpected rain is always worrisome..
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Many years ago a guy my brother worked with built a dune buggy. This was in Kansas right after they had hurriedly passed a vehicle inspection law. To get it to psss inspection it had to have wipers. The law also had specs for what area in front of the driver the wipers should wipe and for how big windshield cracks could be and in what areas of the windshield so they wouldn't block the driver's vision. BUT, they never actually said you HAD to have a windshield. So the guy passed inspection with wipers on his buggy, but no windshield. Very Happy

The inspection law didn't stay on the books for very long. I lived there for at least another 15 years after the law was passed and never had to have a vehicle inspected. Laughing

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Update time! Seats are in, 4 point harnesses are in. Side pods on! Now waiting on insurance and registration so its road ready. Got a few minor things to wrap up and final details but she is pretty much done and ready to cruise!

Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

I got busted for driving a car that low once.

Nothing much happened, but I lived in a small town. I had to move or raise the car.

Anyhow it looks like it's as low as it can go and not scrape the floor.
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:
I got busted for driving a car that low once.

Nothing much happened, but I lived in a small town. I had to move or raise the car.

Anyhow it looks like it's as low as it can go and not scrape the floor.

that's all aired out. i have airbags in the rear and air shocks in the front. i can adjust the drive height. this is how it will sit when its parked or driving around parking lots. when driving on the road it will be raised
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

So did you loosen the torsion bars almost all the way?
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:
So did you loosen the torsion bars almost all the way?

no torsion bars at all. if you go back to page six about half way down it shows the rear suspension set up. i eliminated the torsion bars and installed lower control arms as bag mounts and fabbed upper bag mounts. the spring plates are still there, just no bars.
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

so unfortunately i forgot to put check valves in after the Y in my air system. i wanted the front and rear to be able to air down independently. they both fill up together and have separate release valves to air them down. not sure why i didn't test it all before hand Embarassed .. None the less, the connection where the check valves needed to go was buried on the back side of the fire wall under the fuel tank. d'oh! so i had to clip all my dash wires, remove the hood, and gas tank again to install check valves.. In doing so i decided to install plugs for all the wires in case i ever need to remove the hood again.

As much as i love the headlights, they came with a giant hole in the rear, i guess cause its a motorcycle headlight this part of the light would never be seen cause it would be up against the forks maybe.. IDK.. but the giant hole had to go. got some 1/2" thick rubber and made some grommets... not the best looking things, but much better than a giant square hole..

Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Home where she belongs!

SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Applause

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

This looks very much like one of my favorite dune buggy’s of all time and I am really digging the whole thing.

I’d like to see a picture of it with the suspension pumped all the way up.

I like the headlights and I might suggest you make some little smoked plastic lenses that go in the hole, with a little LED to let you know when your headlights are left on in the day.

My Cadillac did this with fiber optic cables and that would be another interesting idea.
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:
This looks very much like one of my favorite dune buggy’s of all time and I am really digging the whole thing.

I’d like to see a picture of it with the suspension pumped all the way up.

I like the headlights and I might suggest you make some little smoked plastic lenses that go in the hole, with a little LED to let you know when your headlights are left on in the day.

My Cadillac did this with fiber optic cables and that would be another interesting idea.

Thanks!

Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

time to address the rear seat. making my own for now.. until i decide what i want permanent.. depending on how this turns out it may say for a while.. but here goes.

Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

So its not the nest but it was worth the 20 bucks and 3 or 4 hrs until I decide exactly what I want for the rear. Used cardboard patterns, plywood some.old foam and some fabric that matched as close as I could find to the front seats. Carriage belts through the body and I now have a finished looking rear seat.

Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Back of the seat was I bit more complicated. Being that it curves the straight plywood when not going to bow enough. So I used a second piece to fill the gap. All in all I'm ok with it for now.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Excellent job!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: