Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash bracket vs windshield hidden brackets
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
L8ndeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Dash bracket vs windshield hidden brackets Reply with quote

Hello all,

Just checking to see if this is the norm. I’m test fitting the new windshield with new hidden brackets, with a new dash, dash bracket for a Manx wannabe. I have fiberglassed the dash to the hood, and installed that into the buggy. Then slid the windshield on top of the dash/hood to get the correct angle (match the roll bar). Marked the windshield brackets on the dash/hood with a felt pen. Took off the hood, drilled the two holes on each side of the hood/dash assembly for the windshield brackets. My issue is, first, the predrilled holes in the dash bracket that are supposed to accept the bolts from the hidden windshield bracket don’t match up. About an inch to long. Second, once I get a bolt through the top holes of the windshield bracket, hood/dash, and the dash bracket, the bottom holes are about an inch to far forwards.
I can cut the bottom, sides of the dash (where they come to a point) to allow the dash bracket to move more towards the face of the dash, but wanted to
know if this is normal?

Hope this makes sense. Below are a couple of pics. The black bracket must align with the black lines on the dash.

Thanks to all and God Bless the Hero’s not only on Memorial Day, but for all time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
L8ndeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Dash bracket vs windshield hidden brackets Reply with quote

Any takers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
L8ndeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash bracket vs windshield hidden brackets Reply with quote

100 views and nobody has any suggestions? Nobody has dealt with this? I’m looking for helpful suggestions.

TIA
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash bracket vs windshield hidden brackets Reply with quote

That doesn't look good.

The dash frame uprights need to be vertically centered behind the bonded seam between the dash and hood. The two holes for the windshield mount bolts are both drilled right on the seam. If you use the "hidden mounts" which slide inside the windshield frame extrusion shown in the picture, the holes for the two studs should also be directly on the seam between the dash and hood. I recommend the hidden mounts but coat them with anti-sieze before putting they go in the aluminum windshield frame or they'll seize

Try to bend or twist the verticals to make them fit but if its been welded so the vertical bars just won't fit flat against the inside of the dash/hood directly inside the seam, it might need to be cut apart and rewelded

The lower ends of the vertical bars should extend out of the pointed lower corners of the dash. The bottom couple inches of the vertical bars which extend below the dash might need a twist so they lay flat against the inside of the body tub.

Last edited by BL3Manx on Tue May 26, 2020 12:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Dash bracket vs windshield hidden brackets Reply with quote

This is a picture of an old ABS dash with an original type dash frame with the upper cross bar so its not exactly what you have however you can see how the vertical front edge of the black plastic dash runs right up the center line of the flat vertical bars.

When your frame is inside the dash/hood it should fit together the same way

If you think you need additional assistance there are a number of Manx Club members in the Reno area who have Manx building experience

L8ndeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Dash bracket vs windshield hidden brackets Reply with quote

BL,

Thank you so much for your reply. I've read numerous articles regarding windshield installation, and most of them mention the holes will be drilled in the seam (hood to dash) area. I've also read, one in particular from Bruce Meyers saying one of the most common mistakes for windshield installation was not getting the tilt correct to match the roll bar. He said it makes it looked warped. One guy on the forum here said the outside vertical bars fit into the dahs. Well, that's not possible as a small portion hangs out the bottom to bolt to the tub.
so, with the varied opinions out there, it makes it a little confusing.
With the pic you supplied, with the old style dash bracket laying flat against the front of the dash, I can tell you there is not a snowballs chance in hell the newer style bracket I have will do that.
Lastly, the tabs that hang out the bottom of the dash and bolt to the tub on the new one I have are not as long as the one shown in the pic you supplied. Mine would line up with the center of the tube for the wiring that runs the length of the car.
With all that said, I think your suggestion of trying to contact somebody locally that has done this before tp come over and look at what I've got. Ya'know, I wouldn't think this would be this difficult considering I didn't opt for 3rd party parts. I purchased the dash and dash bracket from Meyers Manx. IDK, maybe it's me.
SO, CALLING ALL BUILDERS IN THE RENO AREA TO PLEASE EMAIL, PM, OR CALL ME (775-742-5135). It would be very much appreciated. And of course, anything else BL you can suggest is welcome.

TIA
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash bracket vs windshield hidden brackets Reply with quote

My personal experience/observations are the angle of the windshield is determined by the angle of the dash seam. The angle of the rollbar is determined by the angle of the rear corner of the body tub. They are not parallel, the rollbar is slightly more vertical. They are fairly close, but not parallel. They look fine that way. Its not worth the effort to try to make them exactly parallel

I'll repost your request on the Manx Club Facebook page

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: