Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cobra88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Even the Wife is Laughing Smile

Subscribed Matt
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Thanks Cobra88! I hoped that they would be amusing and informative. I look forward to continue honing my skills in video shooting and editing. Hopefully they get easier and easier to watch Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Vanagon Tin-Top Conversion ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

captmatthew1 wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Karmann Vandiego is officially 40 years old this month.

So many milestones I have gotten to share with this old yellow box!

That's an early production van.

My second Vanagon was also a '79 with an even earlier VIN 25A0008082

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Vanagon Tin-Top Conversion ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
captmatthew1 wrote:

Karmann Vandiego is officially 40 years old this month.

So many milestones I have gotten to share with this old yellow box!

That's an early production van.

My second Vanagon was also a '79 with an even earlier VIN 25A0008082

Indeed! There are a few things about these early vans that didn't make it into regular production. I love blowing the minds of other owners with the little differences. Laughing
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

The fam and I had a great time putting this video together showing our conversion progress. I continue to struggle with poor audio as I search for the right combination of equipment. We hope you enjoy!

Link

Cobra88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Another great Video Matt

love the magic chairs Laughing
Nice to see everyone too

Regards
Rick in England
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Cobra88 wrote:
Another great Video Matt

love the magic chairs Laughing
Nice to see everyone too

Regards
Rick in England

Thanks Rick!

We wanted to try some new things to make the video fun. The kids were super excited to be included on this one! We look forward to creating new content as we become more familiar with the equipment we have, and upgrade the stuff that holds us back.

I have some ideas for the next one that I hope will be a hoot!
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

I was pretty stoked to see that Karmann Vandiego has been featured in VolksMania Magazine! Check it out if your interested. Page 26!

https://issuu.com/pitstoppublishing/docs/volksmania_4_digital_150/2
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Just uploaded a new video. Enjoy!

Link

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Can't believe I missed this topic back when it first was posted. Just read the whole thing.

You are having a lot of fun and the bus is looking great! Very Happy

I hope to run across you sometime in my travels.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Can't believe I missed this topic back when it first was posted. Just read the whole thing.
You are having a lot of fun and the bus is looking great! Very Happy
I hope to run across you sometime in my travels.

Yes D’oB I agree.

captmatthew1 wrote:
It has been important to me in a sentimental way to keep the old van a tin-top. As my decal says:

Sometimes it seems like the obvious solution would be a hightop...but every childhood memory of the old yellow tin-top, stops those thoughts dead in their tracks.

I was thinking that “this fella needs a high-top”.
Then this.
I hang my head in shame.

Thanks Cap’n for the great, well written and pic’d Vanagon story.
Your family is super-cute too.
One of the best threads On theSamba.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

If your ever on the Oregon Coast give me a shout!

I've had a lot of fun putting the old van back on the road and tastefully modifying it to suit our lifestyle. I still struggle with the idea of a high-top and have almost ripped that sticker off the window a couple of times... Laughing

I've been having fun making videos recently, and the kids are really excited to get involved. I'm not sure which direction we are going with them quite yet, but I'm learning a lot and continue to acquire new filming equipment to make them better as we go!

Thanks for the kind words!
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Been a while, so I thought I would update a few things!

Through the course of a project, I acquired 2 nearly complete Vanagons for parts.

One van had a nearly new set of shocks fitted with overload springs that I was able to use

The other was fitted with a zbed. Though I liked the bed I built from scratch, I have been waiting for one of these to come along at the right price.

At the same time, I have started to update the wiring under the rear seat by adding a fuse panel.

captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Recently, I sold the roof rack that I built last year. I felt we outgrew it, and i wanted to build a full length rack this time.

I started with some scrap steel, sourced from Yamaha ATV shipping crates.

After cutting it all apart, I began laying out the frame. The dimensions will be 57" wide by 11' long.

More pictures as I make progress.
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Some progress on the new roof rack!

I welded the frame together, and test fit it to the roof (I knew it would fit)

Once I verified that the rack filled the proper footprint, I welded all of the cross bars in. I welded them all in on 12" centers, because I intend to deck it full length with pressure treated 1x4

Next, I need to fabricate the legs and brackets to attach it to the rain gutters. I plan to use 4 legs per side (total of 8 ). The roof tent will now be mounting to the rear of the van, as apposed to the front as we had it before.
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Another exciting milestone as Karmann Vandiego is featured in VolksAmerica Magazine! In print this time! Surprised

https://volksamerica.com/issues/product/volksamerica-17-super-deluxe-vw-magazine/

Needless to say, I'm stoked for my copy to come in the mail. Very Happy
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Some progress on the roof rack. I decided on 6 legs instead of 8, which I think looks just right.

Next up is fabbing the rain gutter clamps.
Cobra88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Looking good Matt 👍🏻
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Tin-Top Chronological PIC Build Thread ~Karmann Vandiego~ Reply with quote

Taking a small break from the roof rack, I started wiring and ducting under the rear seat.

On the last bed, I installed 1 heater outlet mounted higher up on the kick panel. I've learned a few things from that and decided to mount 2 outlets down low.

I'm hoping the new location of the outlets will help eliminate hot air being trapped under the bed when its folded out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: