Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

removing door hinge screws
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: removing door hinge screws Reply with quote

I wanted to drive my 73 Thingster around with the doors off. I then realized that with the windshield down, and the doors off, I had no rear view mirrors.
SO I got the stainless modified hinges from TTS and went out to change the front top hinges. I have a super large Phillips screw driver that will take a 10mm wrench to add torque. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the screws to move. I will try WD 40, but I think it needs more. I did fix the screws holding down the hood, and they were greased so that I can remove them when the hood release cable breaks. It happened once, and obviously since I now have a fix, it won't happen again.

So any suggestions to remove the hinge screw that has been untouched for 47 years!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge screws Reply with quote

Impact driver that you hit with a hammer and the right bit which I think is a P4

https://www.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge screws Reply with quote

Thanks, I need a reason to visit my friendly Harbor Freight, so I'll try that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
concpt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge screws Reply with quote

I used the harbor freight head and screwdriver from the impact driver with a 1/2" drive breaker bar worked great
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge screws Reply with quote

I bought the impact driver set and no help. I see that It does carry a 1/2" drive so I can try that with a breaker bar.
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge screws Reply with quote

I took the Thingster round to Greg Noble (campingbox) and he fixed it in a short time. He had a pneumatic chisel that he used like impact driver and loosened the four stubborn screws in no time at all, with no mess!
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge screws Reply with quote

This is why I have a mirror on the driver side only. I got the driver side screws out with the impact driver and hammer, but after that I was too scared to do the passenger side. Shocked
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge screws Reply with quote

I found drilling into the center of the Phillips Head "X" made a certain screwdriver dig in a little better, plus the heat from the drilling helped a bit. You've tried sprinkling Liquid Wrench "like holy water?" Also try tightening a little before loosening.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge screws Reply with quote

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-screw-buster.html

Ive had great luck with this in the past... worth the investment!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge screws Reply with quote

I think that is what Greg used to do it in 2 minutes
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge screws Reply with quote

Nothing like the right tool for the job. Work on a lot of antique cars and this is one tool is worth its weight of shipping! LOL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Technut27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: removing door hinge screws Reply with quote

I bought one of those screw busters (shake n break in my case) for this same problem but my harbor freight air hammer leaked so badly it it didn't work. For me it was the passenger side.

I finally got mine out when I borrowed my father in laws older than me impact wrench with a #4 bit that came with a manual impact wrench. It still took a lot of hits but the wrench was a tank, my small compressor could only run it for 5-10 seconds at a time.

Similar story, the driver hinge screws came right out, the passenger fought me for months.

There is a plastic body plug on the inside part of the door frame above where the hinges mount. Pop that off and you can spray some penetrating oil on the back side of the screws, that might help, I could feel the screws with my finger. The plug might be painted over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: