Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

White walls on my Westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: White walls on my Westy Reply with quote

Anyone know where I can find a set of true white wall tires that meet or exceed the spec. for my air-cooled 82 (full) Westy. Ya know reinforced side walls yada yada. I bought a set real cheap from Costco a while back, and there starting to bulge out in curtain spots. Guess I learned the hard way Rolling Eyes I'm starting to get nervous about a blowout Shocked Surprised
A real thick white wall stripe is preferred.
Big B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coker tire handles many radials with 2 to 3" ww's, but i'm not sure if their reinforced
B
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx
I'll look in to that.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.whitewallsplus.com/prod02.htm
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!
That's what I'm talking about!
Thanx Cool
earthmuffin
Samba Worm Farmer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be real surprised if you can find some adequately rated whitewalls in a 14 inch tire. You said you have some cheapies on there right now...........you should get some good reinforced blackwalls and the difference in ride will make you care a lot less about fashion. Wink
Big B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muffin is right, if it's a 14" wheel you are staying with you need a reinforced sidewall and your best bet might be to use a porta wall (fake ww), I have installed them and they work fine if installed correctly, just dont curb one.
The Ideal thing to do is go to a larger wheel size, then you don't 'need' such a heavy reinforced sidewall and have a larger tire choice as long as the load cap is around 1500-1700 per tire.
Big B

PS what are you building a rat rod vanagon????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked around for correct whitewalls for a short time with no luck, was hard enough just to find the correct tire. I got a set of the agilis, great tires. You will forget about whitewalls when you drive with the right tires.
It's like you upgraded the suspension. Ever have a truck pass you on the expressway and the wind makes you westy "wobble" from side to side?
Thats your mussy sidewalls, all that sloopyness stopped after the new tires. Plus I gained about 3-5 mpg with the correct tires.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: