Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

A great find, indeed. I spy the original rivets in the bed, where the slats used to be. I welded those over, since they leaked into the compartments underneath. I have slats held on with 3M automotive tape.

What are your plans? It seems like there is so much original goodness on there that you should want to keep the original parts as much as possible. For example, you might consider keeping the original rims. Maybe you are, and keeping them in original condition, which is cool.

That floor mat, while not used in the double cab, would be nice for someone with a station wagon. Wolfsburg West makes a decent rear floor mat for the DC.

Let me know if you want a tilt. Smile

baz76: Ireland is where my 1978 double cab came from!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
A great find, indeed. I spy the original rivets in the bed, where the slats used to be. I welded those over, since they leaked into the compartments underneath. I have slats held on with 3M automotive tape.

What are your plans? It seems like there is so much original goodness on there that you should want to keep the original parts as much as possible. For example, you might consider keeping the original rims. Maybe you are, and keeping them in original condition, which is cool.

That floor mat, while not used in the double cab, would be nice for someone with a station wagon. Wolfsburg West makes a decent rear floor mat for the DC.

Let me know if you want a tilt. Smile

baz76: Ireland is where my 1978 double cab came from!

Thank you! I plan on preserving the original paint and interior. Overtime I'll fix the small amount of rust and blend it in leaving the patina and smaller dents.

The only modifications I have planned are:
- 15" split bus wheels painted an off white color wrapped with general grabber AT2's

-steal the trailer hitch from my wifes bus
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-possibly a roof rack/ladder rack that spans from the cab all the way back. Like the one that bulli driver steelworks had on his split double cab. (This truck did come from the factory with a tilt and bows, so that is tempting to go back)

-possibly mount a set of amber period correct fog lights on the bumper.

It does need the bumpers straightened, so those may see the same color white as the wheels are getting. That's all I have planned for now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

VW made a factory hitch for early bays. It bolts right into the threaded holes in the frame and the center section can be removed for engine removal without taking the entire hitch off.

I have a few photos in my gallery on here.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Just my opinion, but a roof rack looks a bit silly on a truck. Unless it has ladders and stuff on it. I'd stick with the tilt.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Dumb question, why is it called a tilt?
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
VW made a factory hitch for early bays. It bolts right into the threaded holes in the frame and the center section can be removed for engine removal without taking the entire hitch off.

I have a few photos in my gallery on here.

I have never seen that before! I'll have to do some digging in your gallery.

Thanks for the info!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Quick question, does anyone know a source for the blue basket weave vinyl for the seats?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

thefalconer_88 wrote:
Quick question, does anyone know a source for the blue basket weave vinyl for the seats?

Not that I know of. That is why I wanted to see photos of the interior. If it is complete with little wear it my be unobtanium.
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Ok fine I'll quit holding out! Haha. Not too bad besides that passenger front seat. The sapphire radio works too!

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

^^ I'd say that looks pretty damn good. Nice to see those door panels WITHOUT six inch speaker holes hacked in.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Dumb question, why is it called a tilt?

I've always wondered the same thing. Razz
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

thefalconer_88 wrote:

That middle flap of seat covering over the spare tire (tucked in, in this photo) is definitely unobtainium. I wish someone like Wolfsburg West would reproduce it, but so far, nothing. I'd like to have one for my RHD, but I know that is never going to happen.
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
thefalconer_88 wrote:

That middle flap of seat covering over the spare tire (tucked in, in this photo) is definitely unobtainium. I wish someone like Wolfsburg West would reproduce it, but so far, nothing. I'd like to have one for my RHD, but I know that is never going to happen.

I think I recall you talking about this on another thread.. 70crewcab maybe? I'm glad it here, but it is crumbling like the rest of the wheel tub mats!
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
thefalconer_88 wrote:

Not that I know of. That is why I wanted to see photos of the interior. If it is complete with little wear it my be unobtanium.

https://www.tmiproducts.com/swatches/blue-08-basketweave/

I just ordered a sample of this blue basket weave vinyl... they sell it by the yard. Hopefully it's a match, or maybe I can use dye to get it close
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Great truck and story. Love that early '68 blue interior. Here is a photo of more blue seat material

Tool kit was wrapped in the blue seat material.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
Great truck and story. Love that early '68 blue interior. Here is a photo of more blue seat material

Tool kit was wrapped in the blue seat material.

Dude that is one nice double cab! Is it yours?

Now I want to get that tool roll! Mine didnt come with one... sigh.
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

I worked on the truck tonight draining the fuel tank... when I first got it the tank was disconnected and running from a lawn mower tank. I pinched the fuel line off, added a few gallons of fuel and some special additive that I found that breaks down old fuel gunk. I let it sit till tonight when I decided to drain. The pick up tube must have been plugged initially because the brown tinted gas just kept pouring out! I must have drained 9-10 gallons out of it. I was so unprepared!

Beer helped forget the stink of old gasoline.

I found this cool old cassette player inside while cleaning it out last Sunday. Even had a cool old blue tape in it.

Doing dong? Maybe a name for the truck. I listened to it in my daily driver yesterday... it is literally just bells and ambient noise. I about fell asleep on the way to work.

The rims were blasted yesterday, just waiting for me to paint them now.

Thanks for all the feed back everyone!
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

I got the rims primed...

and painted!
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

205/75/15 grabbers mounted on split bus rims painted with Chrysler "Cool Vanilla" base coat. I didnt clear them. I want to see how basecoat open to the elements behaves. I'd like them to weather a bit. ... should be a fun little experiment.

earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Here is a better angle!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: