Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project: Vandemic - '67 13 Window
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brenthughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Project: Vandemic - '67 13 Window Reply with quote

Hey Y'all!

I've been working on a '67 13 Window during lockdown and frequently referring to this forum for guidance. I owe all of you here a big "thank you" for sharing your knowledge. I've been around Vdubs for a while but somewhat new to the world of Splitties, so thanks to Everett and the community here for doing what you do.

I've shot video of the entire process and have been posting weekly updates; see the playlist link below if you're interested in catching up on the project. It's a solid bus that has been sitting for the better part of a decade. The goal is to have this bus on the road before the lockdown is lifted...I'm running out of time but still digging and having a lot of fun sharing the progress.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-pzJpyGd2slROYIXT1DkLHePgj7HONmu

Link

Brent

Last edited by brenthughes on Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Project: Vandemic Reply with quote

Any chance you'll update this thread with pictures of the build?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brenthughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Project: Vandemic Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
Any chance you'll update this thread with pictures of the build?

Sure, I'd be happy to.

First, my apologies for using the term "van". I know better but it just worked.

I had been storing the bus in my backyard for the PO. After the deal was made, it would run well enough to drive about 50 feet from it's spot to the garage. No brakes, varnish smell from the tank, old cracked tires, dead battery... what one would expect for a bus that had been sitting outside for so long. It needs to run, drive, and stop reliably. The engine was out within a couple hours of purchasing the bus.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The engine was pushed aside to focus on wheels and brakes. It all came off for sandblasting and painting.

This is just one of my favorites during this part of the project.

Documentation of the project is almost all video, but I'll be happy to update this thread for those interested.

Brent
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Project: Vandemic Reply with quote

Hey Everett can you put brenthughes 67 deluxe in the builds thread as I think he is going to go all in on this one and his videos have already been helpful especially where he has great angles on removing the engine something I'd like to do to clean up my 67.

brenthughes, this thread below is where Everett places an additional link for our thread so it's easier for others to learn and work on their bus, mine is there listed as 67 Westy.

Split Bus Projects/Builds and Preservations
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627245

Also, congratulations on finally purchasing the bus as I'm sure you had to wait a long time to get the PO to workout a deal. I like how you have tucked in the camera (phone?) to the tight spaces for the engine removal as that tells me it will be a real aggravating project to pull my 67's engine out with those tight spaces and I might have to get a buddy to help as I will be cursing up a storm on my own LOL.

I also like the other videos you have on your YouTube channel, good flow with the dialog too! Looking forward to more updates. I really love this rivet removal video as I'll be doing that very soon and direction of removal made it a real win win! Thanks for doing a great job, A+ from this shop teacher.
Linda

VW Splitty Bus Brake removal - Hub cap clips - Sandblasting - Tires VW Split Bus Rescue Restoration

Link

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Project: Vandemic Reply with quote

Wow! Great videos in your "Vandemic" series, great descriptions, how-to tips, very beneficial to new and inexperienced VW Bus owners. You dog is pretty cool too! I just wish you wore eye protection a little more, don't damage your eyesight. Keep up these great videos! I watched the first one and was hooked, watched the first six back-to-back.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brenthughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Project: Vandemic Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

brenthughes, this thread below is where Everett places an additional link for our thread so it's easier for others to learn and work on their bus, mine is there listed as 67 Westy.

Thanks for suggesting this and the kind remarks, I'm glad you're enjoying the channel! It would be super cool to be included in that list at some point. I'll keep posting updates here for the duration of the project in an attempt to earn my way in!

In the meantime, enjoy this picture of Tig. Shop dog, knows the difference between suspension and Kong.

Brent
brenthughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Project: Vandemic Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Wow! Great videos in your "Vandemic" series, great descriptions, how-to tips, very beneficial to new and inexperienced VW Bus owners. You dog is pretty cool too! I just wish you wore eye protection a little more, don't damage your eyesight. Keep up these great videos! I watched the first one and was hooked, watched the first six back-to-back.

Bill Bowman

Thanks Bill! There were a few cringe worthy moments while under the bus without eye protection. I'm really good about hearing protection, and mostly good about eye protection around power tools but could always be better. Gloves... not so good. Thanks again for taking a look!

Brent
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Project: Vandemic Reply with quote

Just watched and subscribed. Looking forward to it. I'm hoping (soon) to do something similar with my DC. I love the "gonna save a buck and still do it right" attitude. Sacrifice tools that are easily replaced to make or repair parts. Cool!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brenthughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Project: Vandemic Reply with quote

Thanks peecee69, gotta make due with what we've got!

peecee69 wrote:
I'm hoping (soon) to do something similar with my DC.

Your DC looks like a great project- lots of fun work ahead that will make driving it rewarding on multiple levels. Keep us updated on your progress!

Brent
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Project: Vandemic Reply with quote

I like that shift tube clean out segment. Good stuff!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brenthughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Project: Vandemic Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
I like that shift tube clean out segment. Good stuff!

Thanks Okie Adam, I was happy with the way that turned out. Thanks for checking out the video!

I need to catch up on build updates, so I'll pick up where we left off after the paint party.

The bus had some crusty side mirrors that I wanted to save. It was a stretch but funds were tight after purchasing this thing. They needed new external clips and a skinny washer in the adjusters. After turning down a 10mm washer and a trip to the hardware store I thought I was all set:

Then I broke one of the mirrors and ordered new ones. Cool.

I've had good luck with this bus regarding most of the things that are always seized or rusted away; the brakes are a good example. There was one fitting that wanted to twist the hard line, but after some soaking and heat it finally broke free without carnage.

The front end lube job was a breeze with everything removed. Here's a look at why we do this- check out the old rusty grease being pushed out of the seal as compared to the new grease on the zerk fitting. I kept pumping until new grease came out; didn't want any of that rusty stuff in there grinding away the pins. I'm already collecting parts for a front end rebuild!

I'm pretty sure Florida Man is so crazy because he lives in an oven. However, that oven works well to bake freshly painted parts without making national news every day.

If you'd like, you can see all the above and more in the video:

Link

Brent
brenthughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Project: Vandemic '67 13 Window Reply with quote

Tell me if you can relate: the shifter is a little sloppy but works fine once you figure out where the gears are.

I expect some of that with an old VW but want to at least make sure the parts are in good shape. So, off with the shifter!

Not enough time in this project to remove the transaxle for this, so the swing lever was moved out of the way and the shift rod came out the front. Made a mental note to replace these bushings anytime the transaxle is removed.

The shift rod tube had plenty grit inside, so it seemed like a good idea to give it a thorough scrubbing. Otherwise the bushings would be filed down like the old was in short order. The cleaning started by pushing some kerosene soaked paper towels through to loosen up the old grease. Here is the first one; makes sense that it had more grime on the bottom.

The paper towels were followed by several passes of a "Chore Boy" pot scrubber to scrape away sand and rust. All with healthy doses of kerosene to wash out the crud. Here is the pot scrubber stuck at the hockey stick after a pass from the front.

I used a few PVC fittings to rig up a good rinse. The bus was high enough on the jack stands to make room for a 5 gallon bucket to catch the water coming out the other end. Actually worked pretty well!

The cheapie endoscope shows a decent result. The tube will be greased its entire length to prevent rust, and of course, seals installed to keep the Florida sand out. But anyone who has been to the beach knows sand gets in everything.

Link

Brent
brenthughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Project: Vandemic - '67 13 Window Reply with quote

I hope everybody had a great holiday- here's a belated update on the bus progress.

Next things on the list are the control cable guide tubes; clutch, parking brake, and accelerator.

Removing the clutch cable revealed a part that was close to the end of it's service life, thanks to a lack of lubrication and the rigors of normal duty.

In the name of saving a few bucks, it was welded up and re-drilled. No, it doesn't really make sense. Unless we're using hobby physics and don't want to wait for a new repop...

Old dried up grease was removed from the clutch pivot point. These poor things go years without this kind of attention. Hopefully it'll repay the favor with smoooooth operation for a while.

A hose was used to connect an oiler to the various cable guides so a generous amount of kerosene could be pumped through. A few more steps were used to thoroughly soak, remove, and rinse all the built up crud. Seems like leaving that in there would shorten the life of a cable.

The pot scrubber trick wasn't going to work here because these tubes are too small. The "frayed cable chucked in a drill trick" was attempted several times with no luck. Works great on heat riser tubes but just didn't cooperate here. Instead, pulling a pipe cleaner through several times worked well.

To see all of this and some homemade tools to attempt removing stubborn accelerator and parking brake pivots, check out the video on YouTube:

Link

If you like spoilers, there are several more episodes already available on YouTube. Enjoy!

Brent
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Project: Vandemic - '67 13 Window Reply with quote

Not to be a debbie-downer, but damn dude, invest in some nitrile gloves when handling those chemicals, those pics are cringe-worthy. That crap's going right into your pores and into your bloodstream. Among other horrible crap, you're at minimum risking a chronic case of dermatitis, then you'll be peeling like a lizard and have no other choice BUT to wear gloves.
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Project: Vandemic - '67 13 Window Reply with quote

I have been watching the videos and appreciate the detail you provide on all the procedures. You and some of the other Samba rebuilders (e.g. sgellis) show a standard of work to which I aspire (but probably will never reach)
brenthughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Project: Vandemic - '67 13 Window Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Not to be a debbie-downer, but

Thanks for your concern Busstom, I should probably wear gloves more often than I do.

Don66bus wrote:
I have been watching the videos and appreciate the detail you provide on all the procedures. You and some of the other Samba rebuilders (e.g. sgellis) show a standard of work to which I aspire (but probably will never reach)

Thanks Don66bus! I'm betting you could do this or better. Thanks for the kudos and for checking out the videos.

Brent
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: