Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbo Twist Wheels - 18" or 17" on a 66 Bus?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mraible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the speedometer tips. It's nice to know leaving it as stock can be done by Tacoma Speedometer. However, it would be nice to have a speedo that reads over 80 and has a tach built in. Speedhut has some nice (spendy though) gauges that do both.

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR4.5-DUALGPS-ST-03T/1/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mraible wrote:
Thanks for the speedometer tips. It's nice to know leaving it as stock can be done by Tacoma Speedometer. However, it would be nice to have a speedo that reads over 80 and has a tach built in. Speedhut has some nice (spendy though) gauges that do both.

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR4.5-DUALGPS-ST-03T/1/

a 66 beetle speedo will go to 90 mph, not sure how fast you plan on actually driving your bus, but a 90mph speedo will not hit the needle on the 0mph mark for a while... Smile you would be hitting 120...

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at the Pelican Parts site for used wheels as I think the going price for 17" twists are about 4 to $600 for all four, sometimes with good tires, of course there is shipping but those wheels seem common, I would try to stick with the Porsche stagger, as that is what is available and will help your rear-biased weight in the handling dept.
For the spare I would also stick with the stock Porsche space-saver, cheap, and saves space!
Rennlist site also has alot of wheels for sale but they tend to be the larger diameter later model wheels.

I ran my truck with 214/40/16 tires for about a year and had no problems with the lower profiles even on my local crappy county roads, of course they are not as forgiving as a higher profile tire but I carry some heavy loads and flog my work truck. My present tires are 205/45/16 and I like the added sidewall but still would not run any thing higher than a 50 series even if I had the room (which I do not with the present suspension.)
I checked out your rear suspension shots and was wondering what your front suspension looks like and what kind of driving the bus will see and what your overall performance expectations are?
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, on the speedo ideas, I put the stock Porsche tach where it belongs, front and center, and my first plan was to install a small digital speedo readout in the face, but after driving it daily for over a year not sure I would bother-after you get some ideas about speed in gears using the tach readout it seems to be not needed. Just know to shift at around 6000r.p.m. as Porsche intended.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wrenchnride247
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 205-50-16's on 7 inch rims at all four. This is running a 4 inch beam, 944 hybrid spindles (no offset). They rubbed on the inner fender well like this with a 160lb+ passenger. I put some 1 inch spacers on it, and now it rubs the inner part of the dogleg with said passenger. Gonna try 1/2 inch spacers and see what happens. Its not all the time... just dips in the road at speed Wink Got a little over 2k miles on this.

'62 SC 69x90.5 SP TI
'70 T1 84x105 DP T4
mraible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips about the wheels. I'd love to move my 7.5x18s to the rear and find some matching 7.5x17s for the front. From David Martin at wheelenhancement.com:

---
The Porsche Factory Turbo-look wheels were only produced in 18” sizes, the 7.5x18” that you currently have on the front is the narrowest of the OEM wheels.

There used to be 17” aftermarket replica wheels available but they are no longer in production. These wheels were produced in the following sizes and offsets:

7.5x17” ET52
7.5x17” ET23
9x17” ET47
9x17” ET15
---

The 7x17” ET55 996/Boxster wheels look a bit different than the 18" turbo twists I currently have.

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/index.php?t=WheelDetail&id=35

67dubcab wrote:

I checked out your rear suspension shots and was wondering what your front suspension looks like and what kind of driving the bus will see and what your overall performance expectations are?

I don't know the specifics about the front suspension, but I know it's from Franklin's VW Werks and cost me $5500. I'm guessing it's something like the following:

http://www.franklinsvwwerks.com/Products_beams2.html

4" narrowed, adjustable beam w/ torsions and side plates
6" Drop, flipped and welded
Set of narrowed tie rods w/ ends (German)
Reconditioned control arms
Straight-axle kit (includes 2 modified spring plates, 2 modified axle tubes, 2 E-brake extender tubes, 1 transmission overhaul gasket kit)
Franklin's Porsche kit w/ 4-piston Wilwood calipers

I've also installed a Steering Rack Kit from Creative Engineering.

http://www.creative-engineering.com/index.php?page...;Itemid=26

As far as driving, I plan to drive it a lot (a few times a week). Mostly around Denver, running errands, etc. I ride my bike to work downtown now, and will likely continue to do that. I'm guessing around 100 miles per week.

Performance wise, I expect it to get up and go, but doubt it will have crazy power like a Corvette or anything. The engine is a 3.2L 911SC, brand new, built by Gordon Ledbetter. I expect it'll be able to cruise at 90mph on the freeway, similar to how our Syncro (with a 3.0 H6 Subaru) can do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mraible wrote:
I expect it'll be able to cruise at 90mph on the freeway, similar to how our Syncro (with a 3.0 H6 Subaru) can do.

90 seems like it would not be an outrageous speed, even on a stock-ish suspension, however, if you have ever gone that fast, wind noise is a HUGE issue. Unlike your vanagon, the front of a split has plenty of places where the wind catches... well, then again, maybe that is what you like

Uli

Breckskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this bolt pattern & wheel size fit directly on a stock bus? What else would be needed to make it work well?

Tire size : 255/40R17 94H
Tire brand: Bridgestone
Tire model : Blizzak LM-22 winter tire
Tire tread depth: excellent

Wheel size: 17"X9"
Wheel bolt pattern: 5-130
Wheel offset: ET 47
Wheel made in: Italy
Wheel model: Cup 3
67 912(911.5 Outlaw build spring 2015), 90 C4Cab. Formerly: 59 DD, 78 SuperB, 81 911Cab, 82Vanagon, 81Vana & other German / US stuff..
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breckskier wrote:
Will this bolt pattern & wheel size fit directly on a stock bus? What else would be needed to make it work well?

Tire size : 255/40R17 94H
Tire brand: Bridgestone
Tire model : Blizzak LM-22 winter tire
Tire tread depth: excellent

Wheel size: 17"X9"
Wheel bolt pattern: 5-130
Wheel offset: ET 47
Wheel made in: Italy
Wheel model: Cup 3

while i seriously doubt a 255 wide tire would fit on the front anyway, i think you would not be able to turn the wheel since your bus comes with armstrong powersteering.

Uli

mraible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Twist Wheels - 18" or 17" on a 66 Bus? Reply with quote

My bus was finished in April of this year and I've been driving it for a few months now. At first, it was super stiff in the front. However, after a visit to KCW in Grand Junction, it's much better now. To make it even smoother, they recommended I swap my 18" turbo twists for 15" Fuchs. I've ordered the Fuchs and look forward to a smoother ride. Here's what my bus looks like with the 18s.

I hope to throw the 18s on my Syncro and cruise with those while the weather's nice. I currently have Carat 2's on the Syncro.
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Twist Wheels - 18" or 17" on a 66 Bus? Reply with quote

Awesome Bus Buddy. I am planning of installing a set of 17' Porsche Turbo Twist on my 1967 Split bus, which has a set of 15 Fucsh now. Will there be rubbing issues and will I need to install spacer too? Thanks in advance to your reply. Wonderful ride!
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mraible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Twist Wheels - 18" or 17" on a 66 Bus? Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the spacers. I ended up sticking with the 18" wheels (after trying the Fuchs and not liking them as much) and getting "rubber band" tires on the front.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: