Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 flywheel saga continues
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Type 4 flywheel saga continues Reply with quote

I guess it is ADD that has me jumping from one problem to another. That and the lack of everything I need, shipping lead times, etc...

To recap: I have 2 flywheels that measure 215mm across the opening to the friction surface.

1 is believed to have come out of the 72 bus 1.7 liter type 4 engine that came in my bus. I bought the other to have something to compare and hopefully find one that is better.

I then purchased a clutch and pressure plate labeled for a 72 bus. That assembly is ~210mm overall diameter. The PP bolts right up to both FWs I have. I thought I was done! Very Happy

Then I found out VW made a 215mm set up starting in 74 IIRC. Then I bought a 215mm PP and clutch disk cause my FW is 215mm. Several of us discussed the larger surface area and benefits of having 5mm larger diameter clutch.

Guess what? The 215mm PP and clutch are indeed 215mm and they will not fit in the FWs because all 3 are the same size.

I suppose I am going back to the 215mm FW and 210mm PP and Disk. Am I going crazy here?

Before I send the 215mm (1974) PP and disk back, maybe I should consider finding the next size up FW.... Is that 220mm?

Has anyone gone thru all this before?
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 flywheel saga continues Reply with quote

Another thought... maybe all this 215 mm stuff is supposed to fit together, but having a FW made 40 years ago match new PP and clutch is tuff to make.

Should I have someone slice a bit off the disk and PP?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 flywheel saga continues Reply with quote

first, I would have kept this in your last thread

second, I am running 200+hp thru a 200mm clutch without issue. I really wouldn't sweat it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 flywheel saga continues Reply with quote

take a photo of the new PP laying on the flywheel. Let's see what it looks like. Did you measure the contact area on the new PP? Does it measure 215mm or did someone slip a 228 into a 215 box?

Next big question, did this flywheel come out of a running bus so that you are sure it works with your starter?
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 flywheel saga continues Reply with quote

FLYWHEEL opening 216MM using a large caliper
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Close up of the scale on the caliper. Camera is at a bit of an angle, but that 0 is on 216mm

Friction disk.... will not go in the FW opening.

PP is upside down so I can see if the mounting holes match to the FW and they do. The disk is also 216mm

and finally the PP sitting on the FW and also will not go in the FW.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 flywheel saga continues Reply with quote

measure the contact area on the flywheel, not the opening. If the caliper wont fit, take scissors to a piece of paper, draw lines on it, and measure that.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 flywheel saga continues Reply with quote

With paper: 209mm
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 flywheel saga continues Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
With paper: 209mm

It is a 210 mm flywheel if the cross section of machined driven surface is what you measured. For example, on my 228 mm flywheel that smooth machined area measures 228 mm.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 flywheel saga continues Reply with quote

So now i am 1 part away from upgrading to a bigger set up. Is that an upgrade that is worth it?

Just need a 215 mm FW.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: