Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door panel upholstery material layering?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Door panel upholstery material layering? Reply with quote

One quick question about door panel upholstery.

I am making my own door panels out of ABS sheet. I bought the door panel trim kit (polished stainless) from Wolfsburg West, and I have the new upholstery material from TMI.

What I am wondering is, on a deluxe style vintage vinyl two-tone interior, are the materials over-lapped at the colour change, or, are they just butted together? Either way, the join is hidden by the trim piece.

My thinking was a slight overlap would only leave one edge the chance to roll up (25 years from now).

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
ozinbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Door panel upholstery material layering? Reply with quote

edge to edge, not butted. Having removed the material from mine it looks like the upper and lower strips were glued in place first with a clear glue remnant that suggested special attention to the edge that would be against the middle strip. That was then glued in place and the trim strips were placed to mostly overlap the middle piece. The slots for the trim clips , at least from what I removed were only visible on the middle material.
I defer to more expert opinion but this is what it looks like to me.
Maybe Clara, who makes panels can chip in.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Door panel upholstery material layering? Reply with quote

hey, thanks for the reply.

While I was waiting for someone to chime in, I used some scraps to test both ways.
The edge with the overlap, shows the edge of the piece under it. So, if it was to be a slight overlap the cut lines would need to be just as accurate as edge to edge.

It's too bad there wasn't a seem binder tape with a super strong bond, like the way they join carpets.

Gordo.

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Door panel upholstery material layering? Reply with quote

I've posted a lot of pictures of interior panels:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nos with trim missing:

flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Door panel upholstery material layering? Reply with quote

Thanks for those Clara. I have been through you gallery time and time again, but I usually get lost in there and forget why I was there in the first place.

The mouse grey door panel at the bottom seems to show a slight overlap of about 3/16". I would like it if my trim hold downs went through both pieces of upholstery, So I guess that's where I'll start.

I hope there is an understanding that I am making my own because I didn't want to hack holes in someone else's hard work, or worse, originals. Plus, I am far more accepting of any flaws when it's my own work.

Since we are talking door panels...Do you, Clara or any others that dabble in this, pre-bend the front door panels before you apply the upholstery? Or, is it such a slight bend that the material does not wrinkle?

Thanks, Gordo.

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Door panel upholstery material layering? Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
Thanks for those Clara. I have been through you gallery time and time again, but I usually get lost in there and forget why I was there in the first place.

The mouse grey door panel at the bottom seems to show a slight overlap of about 3/16". I would like it if my trim hold downs went through both pieces of upholstery, So I guess that's where I'll start.

I hope there is an understanding that I am making my own because I didn't want to hack holes in someone else's hard work, or worse, originals. Plus, I am far more accepting of any flaws when it's my own work.

Since we are talking door panels...Do you, Clara or any others that dabble in this, pre-bend the front door panels before you apply the upholstery? Or, is it such a slight bend that the material does not wrinkle?

Thanks, Gordo.

It may be six of one or half a dozen of the other.

If the material wrinkles, sounds like it is only glued in a few areas.

I do not pre-bend for front doors, under-dash kick panels, cab roof panels, even though they all get a curve when installed.
IME, the curve in the door is not enough to bother pre-bending for. The panel takes the bend easily w/o any special prep.

Where it does need special attention to bending is the center bulkhead panel for microbuses, which I pre-bend.
Also the back corner panels; there are tricks to installing those.
I have seen og upper back upper corner panels where the vinyl came unglued and shrunk to cut the corner.
But some were painted:

flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Door panel upholstery material layering? Reply with quote

Thanks Clara.

My backs are done..bend was a bit tough. Just have to make the long side, the front kicks, walk through panels and the under seat kicks. And of course upholster all of them.

Gordo.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: