Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trapped oil cooler flapper- WTF?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Trapped oil cooler flapper- WTF? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

I don't really care if Jake builds extremely expensive engines, that counts for little in my book especially as I have said before with this being supported by Jake's own published performance charts, Jake makes a lot of his data up.

the guy single handedly pumped new life into the T4 platform and makes his data up? Laughing

and people wonder why he doesn't post on forums anymore...

like him or not, that's fine. but to say that he "makes up data" is bullshit. did you ever have data to back up your claims...not "I've seen this happen" I mean REAL numbers?

i call bullshit on a 250k mile air-cooled. no way did that happen without splitting the case....let alone not having a seat drop. especially in a bus

I like Jake...always did. never cared for the T4...and not because I was afraid of them...they just did nothing for me. so other than following Jakes work...I had no "need" for him.

I did reach out to him when I did my first Subaru swap on my bus. frustrated with cooling issues....I asked him for help. I went as far to tell him I would pay 2,3,5k for his cooling system....it didn't matter...I needed results.

he wouldn't sell to me because he couldn't log any data and guarantee the results. he had only worked with late buses at that point. I respected him for that.

in the end, he provided me with data and components that i'll never speak about publicly. I told him I would take it to the grave with me. sounds to me like you have a personal ax to grind with him for some reason...fine. to call what he does "made up" and "bullshit" is ludicrous

did you see the high mileage T4 he took apart? probably not....

You can call me a liar if you want but I built an engine back in 1990 and ran it mostly as my primary and sometimes only driver until the five'ish years ago, it went fourteen straight years without being pulled once. It made something like 5 coast to coast trip including a crossing of right at 3000 miles in under 3 days. It also went as far south as the Guatemala border with Mexico. It was the only car I had for many years and was always my chosen long trip highway vehicle for 25 years because of its dependability. If you can't make a VW engine last for that long maybe you should listen and learn.

I would point you to the post where I showed two of Jake's contradictory performance graph and his mealy attempt to justify his actions, but he did what he is known for by going super negative and got the thread deleted.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Trapped oil cooler flapper- WTF? Reply with quote

Im gonna ask the moderator to delete this post. I only put it up to ask if anyone has seen what I saw, and maybe offer their opinion on what or why it was. Im still new to this forum, and have moderate experience with these engines. Im not an engine designer, machinist, shop owner, engineer, or whatever else you very learned men are. I come to this site for tips, knowledge, and levity occasionally.

Im not interested in being part of a pissing contest.

I appreciate everyones input and have actually learned a bit from both sides of this debate. It unfortunately feels as if its going off the rails, and turning very personal. If this is a debate one of you would like to continue, then by all means start another thread. I will read it, but dont care to be in the line of fire.

Thank you all for your input and sharing your experiences.

Cheers, jay

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Trapped oil cooler flapper- WTF? Reply with quote

I wouldn't delete anything...

it's a discussion. any one of us can cash out at any time. if you find 2 people disagreeing as personal attacks I really don't know what to say...

I respect WT enough to walk away when I've had enough...I can't speak for him but I think he's adult enough to do the same.

besides, you had a guy with probably the most experience answer the question. every cooling/oil/gearing question turns into a multiple page fuck fest anyway.

I sure don't feel like I was attacked...and if I did I wouldn't delete a thread over it.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Trapped oil cooler flapper- WTF? Reply with quote

Quote:
Im not interested in being part of a pissing contest.

Jay - we bicker as a group but we all support one another too. Oil temperature control is a touchy subject. The comments in this thread are interesting. If you delete it, those comments will be lost. If you want it locked, the moderators can do that. FWIW very few threads here stay on topic.

I will also say this - if you all lived near me and promised to follow social distancing guidelines, I'd have a big party with lots of BBQ and have all of you over. We'd even over BBW some Kale for Abscate, make sure it was tough and blackened around the edges.

Hey - is everyone doing Ok with the SARS2 thing? Everyone keeping their head above water?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: