Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper shaft lengths? Manx clone wiper angle wrong - need to fix
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Wiper shaft lengths? Manx clone wiper angle wrong - need to fix Reply with quote

Have a Manx clone that the wiper mounting surface is too vertical to get a decent contact with the arms. The original builder just bent the hell out of a set of arms and it looks like crap. Measuring the shaft mounting surface on a bug to windshield and the same on this means I have to increase the angle of teh wiper shafts by 20 degrees (70 ish wiper assy BTW) This is a bit too much to get just from the grommets. Was planning to use some UV compatible plastic bushings/sleeves that are 1" OD and 1/2" OD to make angled sleeves. Problem is the wiper shaft is too short. My sleeve would be almost 1/2" long and I would have enough to put on the sleeve and a nut, but not enough to get through the body. Make sense?

Was thinking if there was a longer wiper shaft, might be able to make it work. Bus ones look way too long, BUT this is a possibility.

Any ideas?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper shaft lengths? Manx clone wiper angle wrong - need to fix Reply with quote

Is the mounting surface too vertical or did he lay the windshield back far enough that it’s too far from the wipers?
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper shaft lengths? Manx clone wiper angle wrong - need to fix Reply with quote

By the way if you make a custom sex bolt, that will increase the mounting depth possible and allow you to use angled washers.

You’re probably not gonna buy one off the shelf anywhere but a Sex bolt is a bolt which has a hole drilled through the middle and the threads are on the inside.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper shaft lengths? Manx clone wiper angle wrong - need to fix Reply with quote

The windshield angle is back some. Not extreme. The wipe mount surface is too vertical relative to it.

A sex bolt or coupler wont help. The shaft is too short to go through my angled pieces (to get the angel correct) and through 3/3" of fiberglass.

What I may try is using the thin threaded wiper shaft backing nuts instead of the existing nuts to gve me a little more length.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper shaft lengths? Manx clone wiper angle wrong - need to fix Reply with quote

My fiberglass body appears to have a Volkswagen electric wiper motor it but it is shimmed away from the body a lot, with four big flat washers underneath the cowl. Maybe you have a motor with a much shorter shaft.

I need to take mine all apart anyways so I’m going to have a look at the assembly.

I could have a Carmen Ghia wiper motor or a bus motor & I would have no idea.

I have just the opposite situation as you which is that my shaft seems to be too long. I was going to add extra fiberglass to the body there to build it up and remove 2 flat washers.

Even then I seem to have too much sticking out of the body so I was going to shave the acorn nut and shave the retaining nut to get more clearance.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper shaft lengths? Manx clone wiper angle wrong - need to fix Reply with quote

Your problem is easy - just add spacers or an extra nut on the inside...
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper shaft lengths? Manx clone wiper angle wrong - need to fix Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Your problem is easy - just add spacers or an extra nut on the inside...

This is how mine is, with 4 washers.
I have the long-shaft wipers, and they are really close to the exterior body.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: