Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late 70s alternator air boot question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
Available here:
https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/alternator-cooling-boot-

021903655D

$20 ea

Thanks. I’ve ordered from them before so hopefully this is indeed the correct part.

I’ll update this thread when mine comes in.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

Here is a corrected link:

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/alternator-cooling-boot-1
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

I'm a little concerned though as the bottom of the page lists the B part.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

The part number ending in B is for standard 55 amp alternators. The one ending in D is for high-output 70 amp ones (generally found on Buses that were factory equipped with a gas heater or A/C). As I recall the B is oval on one end whereas the D is rounded on both ends. We have both versions.

https://www.busdepot.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=0...sort_order

Last edited by Busdepot on Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
The part number ending in B is for standard 55 amp alternators. The one ending in D is for high-output 75 amp ones (generally found on Buses that were factory equipped with a gas heater or A/C). As I recall the B is oval on one end whereas the D is rounded on both ends. We have both versions.

https://www.busdepot.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=0...sort_order

That is incorrect. The B part # has a port that fits a smaller hole on the fan shroud and has a D shaped port to fit the 55amp alternator cover.

The D part # has a port that fits a larger diameter fan shroud hole and a port that is D shaped that fits the 55amp alternator.

The part # with no letter suffix is for the 70amp alternator. It features a larger diameter on the fan housing side like the D part but it has a circular port for 70amp alternator cooling port.

They are not interchangeable and contrary to what almost every website states, none of the parts replaced anything.

I would hope you would update your 70amp boot listing to reflect these facts.

Last edited by ivwshane on Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

Ron at BusDepot. This part gives people fits because many repros are mislabeled. I bought (and returned) six to ten of them until I found an original from VW that fit. We aren't talking small differences.

The general consensus is:

021-903-655 B small hole in fan housing, early T4 55A. Falls out of late engine shroud.
021-903-655 D big hole in fan housing such as late T4, GD, GE engines
022-903-655 70 Amp alternator

I'll take photos soon of a GD shroud when my shroud is off. Ivwshane is correct.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification.

Looks like this is an issue of a bad part number cross-reference from our supplier. It seems the one we list as a 655D is in fact the 70 amp one like our site says. So our website description is correct, but our part number reference is wrong, it should be an 022903655. I will see if we can get an actual 655D and if so bring in a sample to compare to the other two versions we have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Thanks for the clarification.

Looks like this is an issue of a bad part number cross-reference from our supplier. It seems the one we list as a 655D is in fact the 70 amp one like our site says. So our website description is correct, but our part number reference is wrong, it should be an 022903655. I will see if we can get an actual 655D and if so bring in a sample to compare to the other two versions we have.

That is correct.

Good luck!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

Ron - I still have the D boot (genuine VW part) I bought from Bus Depot 20 years ago in my possession. I could take measurements if you tell me what you wanna know. Presumably the diameter of the fan housing side based on what I'm reading in this thread.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

Thanks, if I get one that is purported to be correct and doesn't look like the other two, I'll take you up on that offer.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

So I just got the boot from 914rubber and it is incorrect. There are no part numbers on it but it matches the description of a “B” part.

Interestingly, my existing part is labeled 021903655B and looks completely different.

Note that my existing “B” has a lip on the fan shroud side for a spring clip* (I don’t know if that is the correct name for it) and the new part does not.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Ron at BusDepot. This part gives people fits because many repros are mislabeled. I bought (and returned) six to ten of them until I found an original from VW that fit. We aren't talking small differences.

021-903-655 B small hole in fan housing, early T4 55A. Falls out of late engine shroud.

I'll take photos soon of a GD shroud when my shroud is off. Ivwshane is correct.

Anyone have any luck sourcing the correct “D” boot yet? Ron at Bus Depot said his latest arrived samples were still incorrect from vendor. Have some old ones that will be re-used, unless someone has ordered and actually received the correct one for the later bigger hole cooling shouds.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Anyone have any luck sourcing the correct “D” boot yet? Ron at Bus Depot said his latest arrived samples were still incorrect from vendor. Have some old ones that will be re-used, unless someone has ordered and actually received the correct one for the later bigger hole cooling shouds.

I have what I believe is a NOS "D" boot sitting in front of me. Certainly willing to let someone use it as a pattern.
Salders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

Auto Atlanta remakes them so the part number isn't molded on the boot but from the picture, it looks like the right one.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/results.php?partnumber2=021%20903%20655%20D

021 903 655 D

If anyone orders it please let me know if it's actually a D part
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

All I know is that this one came from VW thru Paruzzi a couple years ago. I tried it this morning on my late GD shroud and it fits perfect on the shroud. Can't test the alternator side yet. The alternator is on its way to my friend Telford in San Diego so it can be tested for waveform since I replaced the brushes and bearings. It was a genuine Bosch rebuild that came from Bus Depot in 2009 and started squeaking on the last trip to Yosemite with only about 2500 - 3000 miles on it. Not Ron's fault. The bearings in this were an off brand Chinese set, so I replaced them with non-chinese SKF and FAG bearings plus added new brushes from NAPA. I tried test fitting the boot to the GD shroud and it is tight, fits just right.

I do not believe VW has anymore of these. Also, in 2009 I used the model boot that was too small for the GD opening but barely stayed in it. When I removed the shroud last week, with age, heat, and the internal expansion ring, it had expanded to be tight in the shroud. I hope this helps. FWIW I offered to numerous people to use this one from VW to make a mold but now time is up and I am going to use it. I do hope the community eventually gets this sorted out. I think when this all began I had to return about 10 - 15 mislabeled ones to different vendors. If you have a late shroud, you want the D version. See part number on the part itself in the photos below.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

just looking for an update. Just used the 021-903-655D one I had on the engine build I am working on, and it fit the shroud and alternator perfectly. It came from VW as documented earlier in this thread. The engine is a 1977 GD w/ 55 amp alternator. Has anyone found a source that has the correct part. I'd like a spare.

SK
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
just looking for an update. Just used the 021-903-655D one I had on the engine build I am working on, and it fit the shroud and alternator perfectly. It came from VW as documented earlier in this thread. The engine is a 1977 GD w/ 55 amp alternator. Has anyone found a source that has the correct part. I'd like a spare.

SK

I believe there is mention of one earlier in this thread. I obtained a NOS one and was thinking of having a few produced, but saw that someone was already making them so put my plan on hold.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
SGKent wrote:

SK

I believe there is mention of one earlier in this thread. I obtained a NOS one and was thinking of having a few produced, but saw that someone was already making them so put my plan on hold.

Need confirmation where they bought it, and that it fit properly. There are lots out there that are mis labeled. AutoAtlanta for example has one but the description says 70 amp... There have also been some others with D on them that were actually repops of a B.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

I got mine from buslab.com, it’s not made by vw but it did fit.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I got mine from buslab.com, it’s not made by vw but it did fit.

was it a good snug fit or did you feel you had to manipulate it? The factory one was like putting on a custom fitted glove. It sat in the shroud perfectly, aligned with the alternator when it was rotated into it, and was perfect in every way. The B one I had used before was really loose and bordered on falling out. Over time it set with heat into the correct shape but didn't fit right when new.

Here are the photos how the correct one fit:
SGKent wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: