Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brake line between upper reservoir and lower
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwjordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: brake line between upper reservoir and lower Reply with quote

so i replaced brake servo and master cylinder the hose between upper reservoir and lower didnt survive. not really finding what i need from vendors. what have you guys used for this? thanks,jeff
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: brake line between upper reservoir and lower Reply with quote

Hi Jeff, try web searching for the part number you're looking for, in this case 211 611 805E.

Available from a few sellers, measure yours and compare:

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Brake-Reservoir-Hose-1968-71-Type-2-211-611-805E-p/211-611-805e.htm

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-211-611-805-G

https://www.justkampers.com/us/211-611-805-e-32-brake-reservoir-pipe-vw-t2-bay-1967-1971.html

Don't forget the two rubber grommets, (211 611 833C,) one for each end, and a small/light hose clamp if you can't find the original plastic clamps. Do Not Over-Tighten.

Also, letting us know what year bus you're working on will usually result in faster/better help Smile

(I find part numbers a few places, mostly searching on here, the JerseyLooker fiche pages, and the Pacific Parts PDF catalog, which is searchable here, though you can't order from them, as they're a wholesaler.
http://www.pacificparts.net/vwbook/web/mobile/index.html

See you on the road!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: brake line between upper reservoir and lower Reply with quote

I used the gates15/32" power brake vacuum hose. It is brake fluid resistant.

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
vwjordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: brake line between upper reservoir and lower Reply with quote

robbie thanks ! great refreence book for part numbers!! i looked at the ones from vendors you listed most are for up 71 and alot longer than needed i actually bought one from busdepot, couldnt make it work. the one from cip1 looks right but the description makes it seem like it would be quite a bit too short. ill probably get a piece of fluid resistant hose and use it for now. thanks again for the info and time,jeff
vwjordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: brake line between upper reservoir and lower Reply with quote

i didnt realize power brake vacuum hose is fluid resistant thanks
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: brake line between upper reservoir and lower Reply with quote

vwjordy wrote:
so i replaced brake servo and master cylinder the hose between upper reservoir and lower didnt survive. not really finding what i need from vendors. what have you guys used for this? thanks,jeff

different years, RHD and LHD different solutions. Since you don't list your bus year etc it makes it hard for someone to assist.
vwjordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: brake line between upper reservoir and lower Reply with quote

wasnt thinking its a 74 lhd
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: brake line between upper reservoir and lower Reply with quote

vwjordy wrote:
wasnt thinking its a 74 lhd

put it in your sig line so next time you post everyone knows what it is they are looking for parts for please.

You use this style, the correct upper and lower reservoirs. Some of the lower reservoirs have the nipple in the wrong direction. You also need the two new inner rubber grommets. If you want an original ask someone like Ken Madsen at TheBusco to find you one - or Avery's Air Cooled in Washington. I use Ken.

vwjordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: brake line between upper reservoir and lower Reply with quote

sgkent i did order one, have see how it is. looks right in pic but length described in ad didnt seem to match up with my old one. thanks
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: brake line between upper reservoir and lower Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
I used the gates15/32" power brake vacuum hose. It is brake fluid resistant.

I would not trust this at all.

The gates power brake vacuum hose...is designed as a VACUUM hose. This means that its inner liner MUST be compatible with oil and fuel vapor from the engine...which means it MUST be made with either Viton or Butyl rubber or neoprene (most common) or Nitrile......NONE OF WHICH...work with brake fluid.

Only EPDM and to a lesser degree...EPR rubber....are useful with brake fluid.
According to the Gates spec....this hose has ONLY an outer sheath of EPDM....which will "resist" brake fluid contact....but is mainly there to meet the DOT FMVSS 106 VL spec for ozone cracking resistance....because conversely EPDM....is terrible with mineral oils and solvents.

Along with brake fluid resistance....all brake cups, seals and fluid hoses are made with or lined with EPDM.....EPDM has the best ozone and UV resistance of any of the rubber types mentioned here. Thats why your door and windshield/window seals are made from EPDM.

Get the correct hose. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: brake line between upper reservoir and lower Reply with quote

My decision to use vac hose is from this article and quote from aeromech
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675833&highlight=power+brake+vacuum+hose
I have never had trouble

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: brake line between upper reservoir and lower Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
My decision to use vac hose is from this article and quote from aeromech
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675833&highlight=power+brake+vacuum+hose
I have never had trouble

Good to hear! I'm not worried that it will ever cause a "danger" because its not a pressure line. And its highly reinforced so if nothing else the reinforcement should hold it together if the inside starts swelling.

Just so everyone understand the chemistry here. EPDM rubber is the only rubber that works with brake fluid. Brake fluid eats the other rubbers listed...for lunch.

The only way this works really well for brake fluid....is if they lined the inside with EPDM also....which is not ideal for something listed as a vacuum line that has access to oil and fuel vapors...because those will cause swelling and destruction of the EPDM lining if it has one.

The brake fluid test spec....is from the test section of the FMVSS 106VL spec....and that spec covers a wide range of hoses from hydraulic to vacuum to air brake......but all segments to not apply to all hoses. Its a very long spec covering a wide range of issues. You will notice that this spec also covers air brake lines....which have no business in contact with and will not work with....brake fluid. This is why I worry....if they are not directly stating what the tube is lined with.

And that is the issue I have...nowhere in any of their specs linked to that part # for 15/32" ...does Gates say what the inner tube is made of. Only the outer sheath....at least with the part number you guys listed for that size.

However...this hose WILL be good for what you are using it for it also meets and is constructed and tested with FMVSS 106VL spec

https://www.goodyearrubberproducts.com/2012pdfs/Go...ge0039.pdf

It has inner tube and outer sheath of EPDM.

Now...if this is the same as their "light duty" power brake vacuum hose ....here is a catalog page that lists inner and outer as EPDM.....so if thats it you should be great!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: brake line between upper reservoir and lower Reply with quote

just a quick heads up i ordered this line and it wasnt right for my 74 bus. it looks like it was made to come into the back side of the m/c reservoir and mine comes into the side. no one seems to have the correct one. looks like the line from cip1 is for 71-72 buses

You use this style, the correct upper and lower reservoirs. Some of the lower reservoirs have the nipple in the wrong direction. You also need the two new inner rubber grommets. If you want an original ask someone like Ken Madsen at TheBusco to find you one - or Avery's Air Cooled in Washington. I use Ken.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: brake line between upper reservoir and lower Reply with quote

Can you post a picture of your master cylinder lower reservoir? I just unpacked the white hose, and both new reservoirs. The white hose is flexible enough to make the required bends for my '69 project, but it does need an 8-10 inch radius to avoid kinking.

It measures 33" long, and fits both reservoirs REALLY well with a little Super Lube on the nipples. (If anyone gets a new reservoir, gently remove the flashing leftover from the mold. VW would have taken it off, but now you get the opportunity. Isn't capitalism great?

If you show me what your current reservoir looks like, I can tell you if the clear hose might work or not.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: brake line between upper reservoir and lower Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Can you post a picture of your master cylinder lower reservoir? I just unpacked the white hose, and both new reservoirs. The white hose is flexible enough to make the required bends for my '69 project, but it does need an 8-10 inch radius to avoid kinking.

It measures 33" long, and fits both reservoirs REALLY well with a little Super Lube on the nipples. (If anyone gets a new reservoir, gently remove the flashing leftover from the mold. VW would have taken it off, but now you get the opportunity. Isn't capitalism great?

If you show me what your current reservoir looks like, I can tell you if the clear hose might work or not.

Robbie

there are different style lower reservoirs on latter bays. They commonly get listed and shipped as the same part number. I've been thru it, and the hard plastic hose this thread was about only works with one of them and not the others. To change that hard hose would require heating and bending it. That might not even work. I understand what he ran into it. The spacing on the nipples is also different between early and late bays.

zlee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: brake line between upper reservoir and lower Reply with quote

Sorry if this belongs in the stupid question thread, or has been answered elsewhere, but I was curious what people recommend to attach the hose to the upper and lower reservoirs? I have the rubber grommet(s) and the clear plastic hose, however, to the best of my limited knowledge, there originally were plastic clips that held it in place, that I can't seem to track down anywhere. I'm concerned that a metal clamp is going to damage the plastic hose. Any advice would be appreciated. And, it's in my signature, but this is for a 1969 single cab. Thanks in advance.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: brake line between upper reservoir and lower Reply with quote

yes, it was a plastic split clamp

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7404122#7404122

you can use a fuel injection style clamp if you can't find the OE ones. just don't use the worm drive style here

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
zlee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: brake line between upper reservoir and lower Reply with quote

^^^^

That helps/answers my question - much appreciated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: