Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odyssey Starting Battery
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Odyssey Starting Battery Reply with quote

I did a lot of searching but could only find information on using Odyssey batteries for auxiliary purposes. Has anybody used one as a starting battery?

Here is the link to the model they recommend for the Vanagon https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/96r-600

Quote:
ODYSSEY Performance Series battery Model 96R-600 with SAE posts

Designed to handle the increased use of onboard accessories in today's vehicles, ODYSSEY Performance Series batteries combine long service life, high reliability and deep cycle capabilities. The ODYSSEY Performance series batteries provide all the reliability of the ODYSSEY Extreme Series batteries but without the high cold cranking amps (CCA) or reserve capacity (RC) that many people may not require.

Pulse Hot Cranking Amps (PHCA): 1100
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 600
20Hr Nominal Capacity (Ah): 52
Reserve Capacity Minutes: 90
Dimensions L x W x H (in): 9.50 x 6.88 x 6.88
Weight (lbs): 40.1

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Odyssey Starting Battery Reply with quote

I have the 65-PC1750 under the passenger seat. It fits well on it's side, terminals pointing forward,
with some minor trimming of the battery box.

I love it.. it is a MEAN one..very high quality and loads of power, 950 CCA to start my TDI even in the coldest weather.

Not cheap though but well worth it imho..
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Odyssey Starting Battery Reply with quote

They finally released it. Odyssey has been teasing this for a while when you search for Vanagon fitment. The specs look pretty good compared to the Interstate MT-41. I guess I'm sinking more money into the Syncro… My current battery is 5 years old anyway!

Thanks for passing along the link!

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Odyssey Starting Battery Reply with quote

USD$ 257.49

Wow. What is the benefit of this battery that costs +2x an ordinary starting battery? 10+ years lifespan?

I've heard a lot about Odyssey batteries on BMW moto forums and elsewhere but I don't understand the benefit for a Group 41 starting battery when typical batteries serve the function pretty well.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Odyssey Starting Battery Reply with quote

Since I don't have an auxiliary battery setup, I want the beefiest starting battery I can find. I occasionally will camp for 5 days in a row, using LED lights, charging cell phones, etc. It's extra insurance that when it is time to go we won't have any issues starting and need to call for a jump start.

Long been a fan of the AGM batteries, the similar Optimas which are much more cheaply manufactured than in the past are now $200. https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/redtop-starting-battery/7525
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Odyssey Starting Battery Reply with quote

^^^Check.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Odyssey Starting Battery Reply with quote

At 52 amp hours it holds less than a Group 41. Top 41 is about 70 amp hours.

Mark
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Odyssey Starting Battery Reply with quote

I'm a battery newbie, just now starting to learn about deep cycle and solar charging. I am finding a lot of conflicting information on which is better, Reserve Capacity or Amp Hours, but my understanding is these are very different tests and cannot simply be converted from one to another mathematically.

Two very popular starting battery brands don't even list Amp Hours in the specs (I think they are both made by Johnson Controls), my understanding is that means they haven't been tested for deep cycle use?

O'Reilly
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/premium-4988/...rm/4742372

AutoZone
https://www.autozone.com/ignition-tune-up-and-rout...6208_25698

Is there a general consensus on the forum for which rating is more important for this type of usage?

Where can I find Group 41 batteries with high Amp Hour ratings?
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Odyssey Starting Battery Reply with quote

While my experience with a Red Top Optima is out of date and not the same as what you're looking at, I didn't get any longer life out of my Glass Mat Optima than a regular battery, and I sure paid a lot more to buy it new.
I DID however, have ZERO issue with corrosion and acid leakage, so for our Vanagons alone, in that antique battery box below the seat, that might outweigh cost issues compared to not having to do body work from acid attacking steel... Rolling Eyes

Once more thing to consider... Razz Razz
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
offthewallace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Odyssey Starting Battery Reply with quote

I've been a fan of AGM batteries. If charged correctly they seem to last a bit longer. Due to the lack of corrosion problems, especially with the stock battery location in the Van inside the passenger compartment has me interested in the Odyssey option.

I was about to order:

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mt-41

The Odyssey #96R-600 looks like it will fit and the terminals look to be on the correct side.

Specs listed on the websites -

Interstate MT 41 = 11.5 x 6 7/8 x 6 5/8 (L x W x H)
- - which converts to: 11.5 x 6.88 x 6.63

Odyssey = 9.50 x 6.88 x 6.88 (L x W x H)

CCA is lower but close.

It is a bit more money - still worth considering...

1989 Wolfsburg
2212 WBX - Manual
nocreditnodebt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Odyssey Starting Battery Reply with quote

I'm on my Second Northstar AGM, which is quite similar to Odyssey in their thin plate pure lead design.

I got very impressive life out of the group 27, over 1200 deep cycles and blowing well past 50% state of charge when it suited my electrical needs. Could easily start my 5.2 liter v8 engine depleted 65 of its 90AH capacity

When it degraded to the point engine starting was iffy even fully charged right at the 6 year mark, I got a group 31 to replace it and it lasted 6 more months being cycled lighter, but has really taken a dump in the last few weeks and is likely down to about 15 amp hours capacity, or less.

These TPPL AGMS, when deeply cycled LOVE, a high amp recharge.

My new group 31 depleted 62 of its 103 amp hours, 134 amps of plug in charging sources was not enough to instantly bring it to 14.7v. It was climbing up there when teh circuit feeding the charging sources tripped, and I restarted it at 94 amps and it took about 10 minutes before voltaeg reached 14.7v and amps began to taper.

If I rely only on Solar, to hold mine at 14.7v until amps taper to 0.5( considered fully charged) it seems to get a bit lazier in the voltage retention department and the violently fast engine starting ability is also dimmed a bit. The cure is a deep discharge and instantly applying high amperage and then charging to full. I've never had any battery reach full charge as fast.

The CCA test is 30 seconds long, which is why both Odyssey and Northstar tout a Pulse cranking amp figure of 5 seconds. My group 27 930CCA northstar could crank my engine faster than 3 group 27 marine batteries at 650 CCA each, in parallel, could.

If one plans on deep cycling either of these TPPL AGMS, I would recommend a charger that can supply at least 40 amps per 100 amp hours of capacity. Perhaps not 40 amps every deep cycle, but at least 1 per 10 deep cycles.

Nosthstar AGMs are sold as X2 power by batteries +, and I think they add another year to the warranty, 5 yearsfree replacement instead of 4, or 4 instead of 3, but don't quote me on that. I have no expectations of requiring the warranty after it proves itself capable the first few cycles.

I think a lot of people who want the extra safety of being able to start the engine when the battery is well depleted, are better off carrying a jumper pack, unless they really want a TPPL high$$ AGM AND can meet the 40% charge rate on occassion.

These TPPL agms can easily overwhelm/overheat a well wired alternator seeking 14.2v or higher. My group 31 easily maxes out my 120 amp alternator when depleted, and can max it out for log enough to push it well over 220F, unless at highway speeds. Idling, forget it, driving slow at low rpm and it climbs right upto 220f, but 65 mph hard to get the casing above 145f. No idea about a Vanagon's alternator but expect these AGMS when new healthy and depleted to demand 1/3 to 1/2 more amperage at the same state of charge at the same voltage, for longer.
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Odyssey Starting Battery Reply with quote

I installed my new 96R-600 last Friday. Initial impressions were good, it fit easily in the battery box, the handle on top was much appreciated compared to the Interstate batteries I've used in the past, and the posts work with the stock battery cables. Cold and hot start performance when new seem good. I went this route so that my PC1200 under the drivers seat and the primary battery have similar charging needs when connected by the Yandina.

I'll try to remember to post impressions in a couple of months, particularly once it gets cold. The Syncro is my daily driver and I never use a charger so it will be interesting to see how the AGM primary battery does in day-to-day service. I don't have a volt meter though so impressions will be just that.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the_last1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Odyssey Starting Battery Reply with quote

would any of these be good for an AUX battery under the drivers seat with minimal use of a weekender?
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Odyssey Starting Battery Reply with quote

Decided to go ahead and replace the battery since I wasn't sure how old the current one is. I either replaced it in 2014 when I got the vehicle or it is still the PO's battery. The date sticker wasn't marked.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fit is good, handle is nice, and it cranks the starter noticeably faster than the old O'Reilly battery. Will report back if I have any issues.

Previous Buses: 59 Westy, 60 Westy, 74 Bus, 82 Westy, 85 Westy, 87 Syncro
Checkout my Syncro Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JSWhLS7jLY
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Odyssey Starting Battery Reply with quote

I’ve been using my Vanagon’s 7 year old auxiliary battery Odyssey PC1200 as a starter battery in my diesel rabbit for 2 years without a prob. I had to get the optional terminal adapters for it though.

There’s a way of determining the manufacture date from the serial number. Pasting here from the PDF:

For ODYSSEY® branded batteries, 14-digit, alpha-numeric serial number is located below the handle of the battery and for some batteries is pin stamped on the edge of the cover. All digits are numbers.
Serial Number
The date code label is on a label located on either the top of the battery or the back side of the battery. The code on the top is 12 digits with the last 4 representing the month and year. In the example below 0220 means February 2020.
The code on the back is one letter, followed by one number. The letter is code for the month. The number is the last digit of the year of production. Example: K0 means November 2020.
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Odyssey Starting Battery Reply with quote

I figured a three year update would be useful for my 96R-600 battery. Still starting strong, I've been happy with it hot and cold year round. I've left the van for several months sitting while I rebuilt things without a trickle charger and it always starts first time with strong cranking. Overall I'm happy. Hopefully I'm posting in another three years with a similar report.

Paul
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: