Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1993 Eurovan MV ECU core needed?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KJPAuto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: 1993 Eurovan MV ECU core needed? Reply with quote

The shop has "lost" the core to my Eurovan. Trying to find one online and seem to only find resources to repair/restore. Any insight?
Part # (I believe) is 5WP405C
VIN# wv2md0701ph001845
Any help appreciated!
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan MV ECU core needed? Reply with quote

Oh no! really?

The part number you need to reference should like 023 906 022(J)...with that last letter being the important revision number.

Was this a spare that you wanted to have rebuilt and you have one running in your van? If so, take a closer look at that one and get the part number that looks like above...if you can confirm that part number you should be able to find more online.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KJPAuto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan MV ECU core needed? Reply with quote

I have no core in the van. I sent it out and they "lost" it. Telling me they can't find another. The only number they gave me was: 5WP405C, can't find anything of that like online.
KJPAuto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan MV ECU core needed? Reply with quote

any suggestion on where to order one would be great. Calling the dreaded dealer now.
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan MV ECU core needed? Reply with quote

Oh man, I am sorry to hear.
I guess the first path would be to see if you are able to track down all of the correct part numbers via the VIN...I have not found yet a breakdown of build dates and ECU revisions.

For example...my part number ends and J and when I had an issue, and A revision would make the van run, but not well...even backfiring. We had to find another J to get it right.

Is your van a manual or auto....that would at least help narrow down a little, because the ECUs are different between the two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KJPAuto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan MV ECU core needed? Reply with quote

Thanks for the PM, (can't reply via message as I'm a newbie!) Going to call them now.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan MV ECU core needed? Reply with quote

KJPAuto wrote:
any suggestion on where to order one would be great. Calling the dreaded dealer now.

Have the dealer invoice the garage directly

Laughing
KJPAuto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan MV ECU core needed? Reply with quote

My local dealer informed me they cannot locate the part number due to the vintage of the vehicle. Spoke to the folks at ePartsLand. Told me the same thing. Nobody seems to be able to search the part number from vin. I'm at a loss. Open to any suggestions!
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan MV ECU core needed? Reply with quote

Welp shoot. Let's try to narrow some things down - maybe some others can chime in too.

1. Automatic or Manual
2. Federal or California...(likely Federal emissions since you are in MA...unless the van came from CA somehow in its life....possible)..just to be sure
3. The build date should be on a sticker inside the driver's door jam...that will help too

This might be enough to get some more traction on it.
BatesEV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan MV ECU core needed? Reply with quote

Here is some numbers that can help you track one down

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KJPAuto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan MV ECU core needed? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! It's an automatic, with a Washington state title, (I'm in MA but it came from the Northwest so assuming federal.) I'm not with the van right now, I'll check the build sticker later. Looking through the replies, appreciate the help!
KJPAuto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan MV ECU core needed? Reply with quote

Checked the sticker, build date: 5/92 Definitely Federal emissions.
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan MV ECU core needed? Reply with quote

So I suppose at this point we could likely narrow it down to:

023906022E
023906022G

Based on the image above from BatesEV? > Would you agree?

I suppose at this point you could try to source an E or G and try it?
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan MV ECU core needed? Reply with quote

Row 52 might be able to track one down
wannabecamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan MV ECU core needed? Reply with quote

Just found this on craigslist. See if he is willing to part out the ECU.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/parts-or-whole-1993-volkswagen-eurovan/7128205734.html
KJPAuto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan MV ECU core needed? Reply with quote

Just called and they've already parted out and sold the ECU Sad
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan MV ECU core needed? Reply with quote

Might have a lead on one. Sent you a PM.
KJPAuto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan MV ECU core needed? Reply with quote

Thanks Gang!
Ordered the part which allegedly came out of a running van that threw a rod. Fingers crossed it's the right one and it's plug and play.
Appreciate all the help! I'm sure there will be more pictures to come as I get this one rolling again.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan MV ECU core needed? Reply with quote

Well here's what I've learned bout these contraptions..They changed the Ecu about the end of the year.and they are not interchangable due to some change in intake manifold sender or something.so you need one from a van built before Jan/93 also there is a difference between auto and standard trannys..+ the California emissions. I know of a shop in Burlington VT that has a couple but I don't know the details..I got a part from them and they charged me for labor to remove it ..I'm in Puerto Rico but headed North soon.plus John's car corner in Westminster Vt may be able to head u in the right direction.. I have a spare but I don't know anything about it.Is yours s stick or auto? Good luck with it.. Bill in Puerto Rico till the crisis is over
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: