Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Invader GT5
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My Invader GT5 Reply with quote

The front end and tail end are sexy as hell and I really like what you've done with the interior. It's just that rear cover that gets me. It just looks so bulky in black. Cool car though and your doing it great justice.

brad
Bambergvr6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My Invader GT5 Reply with quote

So i've logged about 500 miles on this new engine, and it runs great, but ive been having some oil come out from the crank pulley, especially when i really have given it a good workout/ run down the highway. I've come to the conculsion that my cranlcase wasnt breathing well enough, as i was using an aluminum oil fill cap with a 1/2 barb fitting, but the inside diameter was probably 3/8. This engine is a 2110cc 82 × 90.5 stroker and I guess a heavy breather. So i've started a campaign to fix it. With a little help from Vintage Speed, i have some useful goodies to get the machine where it need to be. Here are some photos.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bambergvr6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My Invader GT5 Reply with quote

completed the upgrade, just a few small things left, but i will tell you, so far, no oil pushing out from the crank pulley, seems to have cured it, breathing so much better. This Vintage Speed low profile IDF linkage is awesome, like it so much better that the CB Performance Hex Bar linkage.

i love the new look and function of the new Vintage Speed parts , from the black mesh air cleaners, the 356 style oil filler and The breather tube.

Last edited by Bambergvr6 on Fri May 29, 2020 7:49 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: My Invader GT5 Reply with quote

To be honest I always thought the Invader was one of the ugliest kits ever produced...but your execution in your build has made what I think is an ugly car really damn impressive.

WELL DONE!
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: My Invader GT5 Reply with quote

I'm with jspbtown - that has got to be one of the slickest Invaders ever built. Nice attention to detail, wheels, stance, everything. Of all the wacky kits that came out in the 70's, the Invader was pretty far out there - definitely unique. Nice! Jeff
Bambergvr6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My Invader GT5 Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the props. I took the Invader out again today, logged in about 30 miles, most of it highway. Runs really well, very smooth, fast, good top end, and best of all, no oil pushing out. Another improvement I noticed today, are the oil temperature and #3 cylinder head temperature are lower than the previous setup. One big change was the removal of the old oil cooler from in front of the air intake of the fan shroud. The previous owner (original owner) had it setup like that, along with the remote oil filter, but this was obviously injecting hot air into the air cooling system, not good. So now I have a breather tube in front of the fan shroud. It's a new product from Vintage Speed, it takes the crankcase, and valve covers and filters it all back thru the air cleaners, uses 8AN fittings, and I used German oil breather cloth braided hose. Plus the added breather thru the dip tube on the oil filler neck. I also found a restriction at the oil filter at the 45 degree brass fitting, the inside diameter may have been 1/4", plus it was using 3/8 " oil lines. I've upgraded to all AN8 aluminum fittings and 1/2 inside diameter nylon/ stainless steel line. I am running Valvoline 20W-50 VR-1 zinc oil, I have the oil flow routed as follows: From oil pump to oil filter, using Fram HP1 Racing HD filter, out to oil cooler, 180 degree temperature switch located on output of cooler, then going straight back to engine oil galley. Not running a fan shroud oil cooler, the shroud is from Scat, it uses the larger width (doghouse type) fan. Today I also added a intake screen to keep anything from getting pulled int the fan cage.

Again, I am super happy with the results. Central Texas temperature today around 87 degrees, clear and sunny, I cruised at 70 mph n the highway, with a few short sprints to near 90 mph, while monitoring oil temp, psi and cylinder head temp. My oil did not rise above 190 and my cylinder head temp stayed constant at 320-330. Before I saw oil temps above 220, and cylinder temps above 340. Only time will tell if today was an anomaly or be my new normal operating temperatures. Oil PSI at high speeds was up around 50 about 3500-4000 RPMs.

Now 100% completed engine, just received my 8AN line seperators for the oil lines coming up and over the engine.

Bambergvr6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My Invader GT5 Reply with quote

Hey team, well I spent the entire day on the Invader. I got inspired last night after viewing some photos of a Porsche 904 GTS Carrera. So this morning I started to change the look of the car. I first painted the headlight pods, and edged the covers with black vinyl tape. I then moved to the wheels, I masked and painted the centers black with some rubber paint, I am not real happy with the finish, but I achieved the desired results. I then made an auxillery light bar, attached it to the nerf bar, using P-Clamps. I had some 6 1/2 inch Hellas, installed three on the bar. Finally, i installed the Karmann Ghia windshield molding/ rubber seal. I am just in love with the new look. Coupled with the new engine modifications, it's getting there. I am planning now to take it out to its first event gathering in Austin, Texas. There is a VW rally (gimmick) race called the June Bug Rally. It should be fun. Enjoy the new pictures:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: