Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Summer trip? Which borders are open? Where are tests required?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Summer trip? Which borders are open? Where are tests required? Reply with quote

[My hope is that this thread can become a kind of REAL-TIME info-source where people on the ground in countries all around the world can post info pertaining to whatever we need to know with regard to making van trips to and thru different places.]

That time of the year again is approaching fast, - now planning:
1) Summer trip around the Balkans in GEorge
2) Late Summer trip to B.C. to visit my other van "Antonio"

I am sure we all have slightly different opinions regarding What the Henry has happen over the last 3 months - but I'll say right from the start that I strongly prefer not even to have to take a Covid test, so if that means just staying at home all Summer and not even making my annual trip to Canada to visit "Antonio" and my elderly Mom, then so be it.

Here is Czech the lockdown was never so strict but the borders all closed. Now they are re-opening and you can leave the country, but when you return you are REQUIRED TO TAKE A COVID TEST ($150US you must pay). So until this requirement drops I won't be leaving the country.

The good news is that we are now hearing that all the EU will be opening in June and all manditory COVID testing will also be dropped... if this is the case, we will be really happy because we intend to take off in GEorge for at least all of July - head from Czech thru Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, to Albania and maybe Greece/Kosovo etc.

My hope is that this thread can become a kind of REAL-TIME info-source where people on the ground in countries all around the world can post info pertaining to whatever we need to know with regard to making van trips to and thru different places.

For example if you know for a fact that your country is OPEN (and if COVID TEST will or will-not be required), this will be great. And once the Summer progresses people actually travelling can post here describing their experiences getting thru various border crossings.

- - -

Other info that would be very nice to have will be what is happening around the world regarding AIR travel. I personally am very concerned about this - I have 2 homes half way around the world from eachother, vans in both places as well as family and other assets. Again, I strongly prefer not to have to take any COVID tests, and Vaccination (should that become available and required for travel) - so I foresee a potential problematic future with regarding to visiting my elderly mom and van in Canada...

As we know this weird situation is very confusing and changing minute by minute - so when anyone gets updated info and better yet actually realtime experience flying around the globe - can you please post your info here as well.

Thanks a lot!
I hope this post will not be considered "off-topic" because if very much pertains to our ability to travel in our vans, and travel TO our vans around the world... what is the point in having a van if you can't make trips in them or TO them???

Thanks everyone!
Ed
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Summer trip? Which borders are open? Where are tests required? Reply with quote

Looks like Canada would require 14 days of self-isolation if you are asymptomatic. I wouldn't expect that to change this summer/year, personally.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travel-health-notices/221

United States would not let you in right now.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html

And similar guidelines are why I'm not in Scotland right now.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control

Again, I wouldn't expect any of this to change this year, personally.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Summer trip? Which borders are open? Where are tests required? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Looks like Canada would require 14 days of self-isolation if you are asymptomatic. I wouldn't expect that to change this summer/year, personally.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travel-health-notices/221

Believe me, I have already resigned myself to the most likely eventuality of just staying here in Czech until perhaps Summer 2021 (let's not discuss the possibility of a '2nd wave')... but as things ease up I'm keeping my ears open.

I have no problem at all with self-quarantine, but I don't want to have to take any COVID test. The Canadian link there says nothing about testing.

I'm also wondering about what the planes are going to be like? Will they only allow 1/3 of passengers onto the planes?

---

Another question I'll sneak in --- Does anyone know if it is possible to renew BC Drivers licenses from abroad? Mine expires on Aug13 2020!

Thanks!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Summer trip? Which borders are open? Where are tests required? Reply with quote

I'm more optimistic I'd say. Various countries are already loosening up and talking about the pace of further steps to return to more normal travel conditions over the next few months.

I already put my money where my mouth is, rolled the dice, and bought round trip airline tickets to Northern Europe for very late summer. Non-refundable type.

I'm slightly more worried about the airline still being in business than virus restrictions.

Mark
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Summer trip? Which borders are open? Where are tests required? Reply with quote

And similar guidelines are why I'm not in Scotland right now.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control

Again, I wouldn't expect any of this to change this year, personally.[/quote]

And I was to fly into Glasgow via Heathrow on June 8 for 2 weeks. That plan got cancelled and this is a nice reminder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Summer trip? Which borders are open? Where are tests required? Reply with quote

epowell.

I think this might be helpful

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/di...dvice.html

as for BC drivers license, renewals are currently being done over the phone according to this page:

https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/getting-lice...gL-4vD_BwE

I did this recently. A temporary license was mailed to me.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Summer trip? Which borders are open? Where are tests required? Reply with quote

One of the few places in the world with no cases, the Cooke Islands, is currently closed to entry and may be until 2022 - although the announcement I saw was pretty vague about how/when they will decide to reopen.

My fingers are crossed that all is well by 2024 when my wife and I hope to revisit the scene of our honeymoon during our 20-yr anniversary.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Summer trip? Which borders are open? Where are tests required? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I'm more optimistic I'd say. Various countries are already loosening up and talking about the pace of further steps to return to more normal travel conditions over the next few months.

I already put my money where my mouth is, rolled the dice, and bought round trip airline tickets to Northern Europe for very late summer. Non-refundable type.

I'm slightly more worried about the airline still being in business than virus restrictions.

Mark

2nd wave possibility notwithstanding I am sure travel in North Europe by August will certainly be fine - if you have no problems with taking a COVID test. However likely no testing will be required.... let's see and hope.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Summer trip? Which borders are open? Where are tests required? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

as for BC drivers license, renewals are currently being done over the phone according to this page:

Excellent! Thanks for this!
So they are currently sending out temporary BCDLs? Are they all a standard length of validity? How long??
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Summer trip? Which borders are open? Where are tests required? Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
One of the few places in the world with no cases, the Cooke Islands, is currently closed to entry and may be until 2022 - although the announcement I saw was pretty vague about how/when they will decide to reopen.

My fingers are crossed that all is well by 2024 when my wife and I hope to revisit the scene of our honeymoon during our 20-yr anniversary.

Interesting! Thanks
2024? ...I guess by then it could go either way.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer trip? Which borders are open? Where are tests required? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

Excellent! Thanks for this!
So they are currently sending out temporary BCDLs? Are they all a standard length of validity? How long??

edited for clarity.

You're welcome.

Shortly after I renewed my license in late April via phone call, I was issued a 3 month temporary paper license. YMMV, this COVID stuff is changing daily it seems.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN

Last edited by Vanagon Nut on Thu May 28, 2020 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer trip? Which borders are open? Where are tests required? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
SCM wrote:

2024? ...I guess by then it could go either way.

I hope you're not referring to the marriage?!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Summer trip? Which borders are open? Where are tests required? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

Shortly after I renewed my license in late April via phone call, I was issued a 3 month temporary paper license. YMMV, this COVID stuff is changing daily it seems.

It is... hense the need for this thread.
Thanks
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer trip? Which borders are open? Where are tests required? Reply with quote

I think you should all stay home and not come here. Very Happy More fish for me. Oh sorry, you still gotta two week quarantine once you get here.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Summer trip? Which borders are open? Where are tests required? Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
I think you should all stay home and not come here. Very Happy More fish for me. Oh sorry, you still gotta two week quarantine once you get here.

As we know, the situation changes day by day, but according to the current rules I would not be allowed to stay at my Mom's place because she is over 65.

You are right - as long as such rules remain in place I won't be coming home... let's hope this passes by.
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Summer trip? Which borders are open? Where are tests required? Reply with quote

I hope that some folks start chipping in on this thread with reports about restrictions or lack of them for interstate travel in the US.
Currently in Canada, interprovincial travel is discouraged to a variety of degrees - from Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick and Newfoundland Labrador having closed borders, 8 provinces having checkpoints, outright bans into some of the remote Northern areas and all of Canada operating with mandatory quarantine for 14 days for all travel from outside the country.
I'm particularly interested as we have a trailer load of NAHT hightops destined for Colorado, Utah, Oregon and Washington -
Pre pandemic shutdown plans had the shipment ready to roll about Ap. 1 - we slowed down production for anticipated May 1, then again for June 1 - right now our plan is to make a plan when there is some clarity - I think that we'd be crossing about 20 states and 5 provinces to make the trip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Summer trip? Which borders are open? Where are tests required? Reply with quote

We were planning a trip out to Oregon for Descend On Bend, now it’s cancelled. Have reservations at Moraine In RCMP in late August and had planned about three weeks of road trip through CO, ID, WY, OR and CA and back. Not so sure if this will be happening now.

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Summer trip? Which borders are open? Where are tests required? Reply with quote

We were going to Colorado but have cancelled that and will be doing a tour of our home state, specifically the south east side. Luckily for us, Oregon is very diverse and has a lot to offer.
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Summer trip? Which borders are open? Where are tests required? Reply with quote

Our Denver to Yosemite and places between trip has been canceled so we're staying within Colorado this summer; however, everybody is staying in-state this summer so we haven't really figured out how to approach it. I've heard that even the 4-hours-from-Denver sweet spots are getting crowded.

There are mixed messages from mountain communities. Some want travelers to return due to the economic downturn; others don't want dirty city people spreading 'Rona in their towns. As a result I don't know what the hell to do, except kick myself for not having a house with a big backyard for home camping.

At least we're healthy, safe, and working.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Summer trip? Which borders are open? Where are tests required? Reply with quote

We haven’t canceled yet still a couple months off for us

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: