Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trevor's Fasty Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Trevor's Fasty Build Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:

anyway. progress is progress. I have been working on an alternator conversion since my generator is toast. I have a 55 amp nippon denso alternator from a Tercel that I am trying... just have to bed it correctly so It wont move around under high rpm. If it works out that will put off buying the CB kit for a few more years. so things are working out.

If you want a CB kit let me know, I'm going T4 in my Squareback so I'd part with my used CB alt kit for cheap-ish if you want it. It's a bit oily from a bad oil cooler seal, but I'll clean it up nice before sending it out (or hand delivery depending on where in nor-cal you are?) PM me if you're interested.

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68FA$TY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Trevor's Fasty Build Reply with quote

BTW...U shud post a copy of ur Parts needed list...Maybe some of our Brothers might have them just laying around and will be willing to donate or sell at a wholesale/jobber price. U never know...!!...and Mr. Milo is doing well thank God for pet insurance...so his complete Vet bill didn't impact my right front or right rear pocket...the next day he was out in the yard chasing birds and squirrels ..that's a Staffy for ya...but hey...post that list!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Trevor's Fasty Build Reply with quote

good idea. unfortunately that list is very small now. that alternator didn't work out... best I could get out of it was 12.85 volts battery was putting out 12.54 so back to square one on the charging system.

badwithusernames may have what im looking for when it comes to the charging system. hopefully some money can pop up so i can get it from him.

everything else is cheap enough i can pick up here and there , like oil pressure switch and such. the main things i have to save up for are the window seals, door seals, and the felt for the headliner so i can seal it back up.

just gotta scratch the money together to get this done for a target of next march so i can have march to june to work out the issues before heading to the invasion

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Trevor's Fasty Build Reply with quote

so ive been dinking around again, messing with the motor. I was having throttle issues, and well, still am, after pulling the carbs apart and cleaning them out and blowing out the passages. I even pulled apart the 009 that's in him and cleaned it up and lubricated everything. still having a throttle response problem though. and its been so long since ive messed with these Im not really sure what the problem is. these were running on a type1 as recent as 5 years ago, and were running pretty good, then they went into the cabinet of doom after pulling them off. carburetors in question 34ICT webers. these were on him when he was taken out of service

here is the problem, and it might be a combination of factors. I just need some advice on where to look first. engine starts , holds idle well but has a mean flat spot where it almost cuts out when the throttle is given moderate application. you floor it and feather it up and little bit and it revs up and seems to run pretty well in higher rpms. but light to moderate throttle its like it cuts out until it "catches up" and then will hold that rpm.
I checked the accelerator pump diaphragms and as far as I can tell they are not cracked or leaking. I will likely order some replacements anyway.

while it is running better than it was when first fired off, its still not there yet. and it is likely carburetion or ignition that is the problem.

on a slighty dorky note , the car moved forward about 15 feet and backwards under its own power yesterday. first time in 14 years.

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Trevor's Fasty Build Reply with quote

Now I will preface this with saying I don't have a ton of carb experience but it sounds like it may be leaning out when you hit the throttle? The squirters working okay?

-Derek
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Trevor's Fasty Build Reply with quote

other than accelerator pumps , jet/passages clogged, or distributor not advancing.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Trevor's Fasty Build Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
other than accelerator pumps , jet/passages clogged, or distributor not advancing.

that's kinda what I was thinkin. thank you sir.

68FA$TY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Trevor's Fasty Build Reply with quote

One other thing I found if all Ur carb adjustments and 009 adj are correct....is check the Gap in ur plugs...if they are too large...it will have a flat spot/water'd down feel when accelerating...gap'em btwn 25 to 28 and that seems to be the optimum spot for the engine to kick butt...I was having the same problem with my 1641 with a set of 40 webers...at the top end...Woooohh Doggie when I got there...But was a FAT PIG in knee deep mud on the start...kinda like bogging out...also what is the Max Advance U have Ur 009 set at...???
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Trevor's Fasty Build Reply with quote

good news, it was the carb... somehow I overlooked the accelerator pump sprayer. it was dang near clogged shut on the passanger side. cleared it out, and for the most part its running good now free revving (as off throttle free revving a 009 can be).

things are going well, might have a big development brewing , and if it pans out i'll let you guys know. pertains to the car Wink obviously.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Trevor's Fasty Build Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
good news, it was the carb... somehow I overlooked the accelerator pump sprayer. it was dang near clogged shut on the passanger side.
on a slighty dorky note , the car moved forward about 15 feet and backwards under its own power yesterday. first time in 14 years.

Well being parked for 14 years, carbs have a tendency to attract dust and dirt where they shouldn't.
It might seem slightly dorky, but moving under it's own power after 14 years IS a big deal. And that's how I felt with the T-34 after I finally got it up and running for the 1st time since it was parked in 1968. It's a BIG DEAL.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Trevor's Fasty Build Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
VWporscheGT3 wrote:
good news, it was the carb... somehow I overlooked the accelerator pump sprayer. it was dang near clogged shut on the passanger side.

Well being parked for 14 years, carbs have a tendency to attract dust and dirt where they shouldn't.
It might seem slightly dorky, but moving under it's own power after 14 years IS a big deal. And that's how I felt with the T-34 after I finally got it up and running for the 1st time since it was parked in 1968. It's a BIG DEAL.

I agree , very big deal. using the emergency brake I actually turned the car around today so I can work on some other things on the car easier. car made it out to the street turned left back up right and back into the garage.. car starts and runs easy now. so stoked.

VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Trevor's Fasty Build Reply with quote

Random question , couldn't find what I was looking for but that obviously means more digging. 165 R15's are not going to achieve the look and tread width im looking for, for just a little more road sticking ability In the twistys.

Im currently running god awful Riviera's, and may also run some other rims I have that share a similar offset and dimension.

in the front im looking to lose a little sidewall and gain maybe and inch /inch and a half more width, and in the back maybe 2 more overall maybe lose a little sidewall but not necessary , in the advice of those who have experience in such things , what tires would you recommend?

W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Trevor's Fasty Build Reply with quote

I have 185/65R15 front, 195/65R15 on my 65, on 6" wide rims, that have lots of traction with my 1904cc.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Trevor's Fasty Build Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
I have 185/65R15 front, 195/65R15 on my 65, on 6" wide rims, that have lots of traction with my 1904cc.

Danke Wiki

oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Trevor's Fasty Build Reply with quote

I've got 175/55-15 up front and 185/65-15 rear on cosmic wheels. I changed over from rivieras and the offset was SOOOO much better. But i'm also slammed on the ground. The 185s get almost a good 1" extra on footprint and 1" shorter overall compared to a 165/80-15.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Trevor's Fasty Build Reply with quote

Rivieras would look good polished!
The offset on my 5.5x15 2.0 liter Fuchs is good for lowered cars.
I have 185x60 & 205x70 lowered 2 & 1 inner splines.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Trevor's Fasty Build Reply with quote

Keep in mind some sizes are larger than you think they would be. I've got a pair of 195-60-15's that are taller than a pair of 205-55-15's. You'd think they would be closer in size, but are a full 1/2" shorter. And my 195-55-15's are almost 1 inch shorter than the 195-60-15's.
On my own car (with IRS), I'm running 205-65-15's on the rear (to keep the rear gearing close to stock), and 195-60-15's on the front. Only problem with the fronts, is they're close to aging out if they haven't already.

You basically have a choice in what sizes you want to run, and not every one is running the same (as everyone above me has posted something different.
If your offsets are not too bad, you might be able to go with 185-65-15's and be semi close in tire size.

Keep in mind if you plan to lower the car suspension wise, that you'll have to take rim offset into play even more so. The wrong offset ()like 8 spokes for example) will require a shorter side wall height tire more than anything.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Trevor's Fasty Build Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.
Bob as always your advice is valuable. being stuck with the Rivies right now is definitely going to be the hang up , and if I remember right they have the same offset as the 8 spokes I remember with 165's and lowered 2 splines it would rub like crazy anything more than one turn either way.

everyone else, your input is just as helpful. everyone has more experience with this than I have.

and in good news like I had hinted at before. I was able to sell a SBC block and parts and finally got the money to make my last big orders. got a big order going in to ISP west tonight, buying a new generator and Voltage regulator from another source as well as the brake line I needed. the headliner bows from boo koo z. so the only things left to get the car ready for regular driving is tires and a battery.

on another note. what glue is recommended for the headliner? I know im going to have to go buy a metric ton of the black paper binders. I just need to know what glue and where to get it . and how long to let it sit before installing the windows?

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Trevor's Fasty Build Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
Thanks everyone.
Bob as always your advice is valuable. being stuck with the Rivies right now is definitely going to be the hang up , and if I remember right they have the same offset as the 8 spokes I remember with 165's and lowered 2 splines it would rub like crazy anything more than one turn either way.

everyone else, your input is just as helpful. everyone has more experience with this than I have.

and in good news like I had hinted at before. I was able to sell a SBC block and parts and finally got the money to make my last big orders. got a big order going in to ISP west tonight, buying a new generator and Voltage regulator from another source as well as the brake line I needed. the headliner bows from boo koo z. so the only things left to get the car ready for regular driving is tires and a battery.

on another note. what glue is recommended for the headliner? I know im going to have to go buy a metric ton of the black paper binders. I just need to know what glue and where to get it . and how long to let it sit before installing the windows?

Just so you know, stock sized tires will rub like crazy when dropped 2 splines. Even with the stock rims it'll do that. BTDT, and it's worse if you're even lower. Wink

So, the Rivies are +25 offset, which means you'll need low profile tires for the front, especially if your lowered. My son's car is 3 splines down in front, and running 195-50-15's on 8 spokes. Things are tight, but everything clears. Like I said, short side wall height makes this work, even though the offsets are wrong. Just something to think about.

Good news. Now the project can continue. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Trevor's Fasty Build Reply with quote

if interested, you can check out my long posting about getting my 69 fastback running. Ray was a great help. He pushed me to do a complete review of all components. "
Fastback fuel injection project"
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 18

Jump to: