Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 534, 535, 536 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
noslencb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I finished putting 4 new CV joints and boots on. My first time doing it and it was not as bad as I thought. Greasy job! but Im glad I did it. I was just going to repack the old ones until I took them apart and found big grooves in the cages. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
g shepherd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
Made my upper control arms young again.

Primed (Who needs a paint booth?)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Painted

Pizza box for the win!
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Haha
"Honey, I've got some work on the van planned for tomorrow. I've ordered some pizza tonight."
Wink
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Ran a tube into the transaxle fill, used the only funnel I had that would fit in the tube. Let the Redline Lube Oil heat up in the sun. While I waited, I popped the top off the Redline, looked through the opening, put my finger on the outside of the container and marked the top of the fluid with a Sharpie: 4 quarts. Measured the distance top to bottom, put a mark halfway: 2 quarts. Half of that: 1 quart. Half of that: half a quart. Poured in 3.5 quarts. Checked the level inside the transaxle with my finger; exactly 9/16ths. Put in the 17mm Allen bolt.

Is it beer-thirty yet?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

interesting, I usually go in in front of the rear tire...and I warm the oil on the stove top in a pot of water...glad tyour tranny has fresh oil!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
covelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

covelo wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:
covelo,

Are you thinking that the lower edge 'bend' in the picture of the valve cover is new and causing your leak? Check the other side. Then look at a few pictures of covers available at the big vendor sites. It is possible that what you are looking at is not new, but perhaps it is how these covers come. It might be that your leak is actually due to something else, and not that 'bent spot' at all. I have seen covers with that same look, I think it is to provide a spot to pry a cover off in case it became glued on from heat (and too little maintenance).

If you are talking about a different spot, let me know so I can look again.

-bobby

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll check. It definitely leaked in that spot but worth making sure.

So I fixed the oil leak from the valve cover. I bent back the dented part, put in a new gasket and turned around the cover. (I had no idea these things had a preferred direction.) The one on the other side was correct with the VW sign upside down. No more leak, although all the accumulated oil on the exhaust still smells.

'72 Bay Window Westfalia (with 2L AVP engine and dual solex carbs) -- sold in 2009
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I did my own version of the reflective tape this morning:

I purchased a 1" x 75' roll off of Amazon so I had plenty to do both of my Vanagons. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQY03NC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think I will also put strips on the edges of each front door and the sides of the hatch.

Really easy and fast to do.

Mark
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I love reflective tape...

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Yep! That's exactly where I was thinking of putting the tape on the driver and passenger doors.

Thanks for showing that!

Mark
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Looking at that photo it seems a horizontal stripe on the doors just above the vent would be a nice addition.

Abscate wrote:

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Technically yesterday, but I wanted to check the coolant on the van and when I reinstalled the brass bleed screw and I snapped it clean in half. I was in a hurry and probably put a whopping 10ftlbs on it. I don't know the torque rating, but I assume from now it's pinky tight.

So not only did I miss mountain biking with friends I have stupid crap to fix. Evil or Very Mad
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Moved the Volvo, my daughters KIA Soul and the Westy out of the driveway to blow things off and do a general cleanup. Hosed down the '84 GL 7-Passenger. Its got a burnt valve on #1 and needs some love but, damn, it still looks pretty good sittin' there under the lemon tree.

Dan
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

shadetreemech wrote:
Hosed down the '84 GL 7-Passenger. Its got a burnt valve on #1 and needs some love but, damn, it still looks pretty good sittin' there under the lemon tree.

Don't want to mention our vans and lemons in the same sentence. Might give 'em ideas.
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed the second Gowesty LED rear side marker. They are a little protuberant and crappy but bright and shiny new.

Honestly I questioned why I didn’t replace my cracked and dim originals with stock until I repriced them and remembered that they are way too expensive, and I’m way more frugal than that. I’ll call it an upgrade.
carls2u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

What does everyone think about floor mats and which do you think is the most practicle. My '86 Country homes camper got the GoWesty rubber mat set but wondering if carpet mats are better for comfort for my '86 Westfalia. Please let me know what you think is best and why. We do standard camping, not living in it. It has the original VW mats right now but they are falling apart.
Thanks for you opinions. Wink
And eternity in an hour.
'86 Westy
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

carls2u wrote:
What does everyone think about floor mats and which do you think is the most practicle. My '86 Country homes camper got the GoWesty rubber mat set but wondering if carpet mats are better for comfort for my '86 Westfalia. Please let me know what you think is best and why. We do standard camping, not living in it. It has the original VW mats right now but they are falling apart.
Thanks for you opinions. Wink

If standard camping includes rolling around on the floor, go with carpet. I prefer non-standard, no floor dressings required. Sometimes I have a beach towel to wipe my feet. There is a size of rug that can be found at big-box that fits pretty much as is, or you can notch one little spot to be exact. No brainer, low coster.

-bobby
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I may have gone over the top with my cheap chinese safety tape...too much? Embarassed

I agree outlining the whole hatch yields a more readable/recognizable shape, but maybe the red/yellow/arrow tape gives
a clearer sense of "warning"...??? (THEORY: Preventing confusion may be the first step in avoiding a mishap... Shocked )

<shrug>

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Ha! You missed a spot (I'll report back when I find it). Very Happy

I especially love the tape on the lower front door.

Abscate wrote:

wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed a fuel pump kill switch. Installed new wiper and turn signal switches. The switches caused my horn to beep when I turned the ignition key on. Checked the required distance of 51 mm on the column and noticed a high area on the aluminum ring of the new switch compared to the old one. Bent it down flat like the old one and it worked after that.
koubiak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I am installing a leisure battery and a TF49. While looking behind the cabinets I found some rust The dreaded floor problem! Sad Sad Sad

I cleaned as good as I could and used POR15. I have a small hole in the back now. No structural problem as far as I can tell. I am not removing the cabinetry now to redo the floor. This will be for another time.

I will keep monitoring to see if it comes back quickly which would be a call for faster action.

I am sad to have found it but happy I did something about it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 534, 535, 536 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 535 of 630

Jump to: