Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing Transaxle - never done this before...
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Installing Transaxle - never done this before... Reply with quote

Have a rebuilt transaxle to install. I was told by the builder it was shipped in 1st gear and to put it in neutral prior to installation. When I asked, I was told it was as simple as pulling the shift rod out with a pair of pliers.

First - does that sound right? I tried and couldn’t move it out. I stopped after a couple attempts so it could be I just need to pull harder but I wanted to ask if that sounded right before continuing.

Second – how will I know when it is in neutral? Right now I cannot turn the input shaft (from the engine) by hand so I suspect it is in gear as the builder described. But turning the axle flanges (probably the wrong name) does not turn the input shaft as I thought it should. Shouldn’t the input shaft turn if it was in first gear?

Also the flanges move in the opposite direction – turn one “forward” and the other side rotates in the opposite direction. Does that sound right?

As you can tell this is the first time I’ve tried to install a transaxle.

Thanks,
Matt
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Transaxle - never done this before... Reply with quote

Matt - I wouldn't worry about getting it into neutral, you should be able to bolt on the shift coupler under the seat anyway. I'd be more concerned to add gear oil before installing, most rebuilds are shipped without gear oil.

Yes, pulling the shaft out with a Vise-Grips pliers should do it, but you have little leverage compared to what you'd have with the gearshift lever.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Transaxle - never done this before... Reply with quote

Quote:
Matt - I wouldn't worry about getting it into neutral, you should be able to bolt on the shift coupler under the seat anyway. I'd be more concerned to add gear oil before installing, most rebuilds are shipped without gear oil.

True. Have the gear oil ready. Its just that since I know nothing, I was following the instructions regarding first gear versus neutral. I wondered why that was necessary since everything from the coupler up to the shifter would sort itself out. Maybe neutral is better when installing axles, allowing free rotation…?

Quote:
Yes, pulling the shaft out with a Vise-Grips pliers should do it, but you have little leverage compared to what you'd have with the gearshift lever.

You are right. I obviously underestimated the force required.

Any thoughts on the flanges moving in opposite direction or the lack of movement in the input shaft from the engine when I turn the axle flanges. How will I know when it is in neutral if I do get it there?

I appreciate your patience.
Thanks.
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Transaxle - never done this before... Reply with quote

Any open differential (your transaxle has one) will turn the opposite axle in the reverse direction of the one you’re turning, completely normal. Only with a limited slip or locking type differential will both axles turn the same direction while manually turning one of them.

Regarding gripping the shift shaft with Vise Grips be sure to wrap a strip of copper sheet around the shaft to prevent marring it with the teeth of the Vise Grips. You might need to tap against the Vise Grips with a hammer to move the shift rod forward and find neutral. Once in neutral you’ll feel the shift shaft rotate freely between the three shifter positions, the 1-2, 3-4 and reverse positions.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Transaxle - never done this before... Reply with quote

Having the trans in gear (any gear) makes it easier to get the clutch disc hub to spline up to the mainshaft. Put gearbox in gear, set the e brake (locks the diff) stab the two lower case studs into the trans holes, grab the alternator pulley and rock back and forth while pushing in the motor and boom, in drops the motor.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Transaxle - never done this before... Reply with quote

Why not leave it in first? Only thing I can think of is.....
the coupler set screw would be too far back and hard to reach?
Not a big deal, I suspect we've ALL managed to do it without any special shifting procedure.

Bit of warning. Try not to shift it more than necessary before the first drive.
When brand new the syncros can sometimes get stuck, I notice a few questions about that every year. This does no real damage but it can be totally confusing.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Transaxle - never done this before... Reply with quote

i was told by someone who is the most knowledgeable trans person i know to NEVER shift the new trans w/o spinning the mainshaft at the same time. reason being that any small chingus you make by shifting is what will become a worn sychro.
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Transaxle - never done this before... Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:
how will I know when it is in neutral?

I found this vidoe to be very helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwrOThNFSRg
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Transaxle - never done this before... Reply with quote

Why not bolt on a shift coupler, then it should shift by hand.
Neutral is when the shifter shaft rotates with no obstruction.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Transaxle - never done this before... Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
Why not bolt on a shift coupler, then it should shift by hand.

That's what I did:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Transaxle - never done this before... Reply with quote

The first time for anything can be exciting and scary at the same time. I remember my 'first time'... Laughing

But..you gotta know where to put it in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: