Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how to set the preload on the 091 carrier bearings?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
05gh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:49 am    Post subject: how to set the preload on the 091 carrier bearings? Reply with quote

On post (seel link below) there is a lof of information on preload setting. But how do a measure and what is the right set up? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pushing the gear left en right en turning the adjustingring until there is no play. And using the Rick methode as mentioned in the post a have to turn the adjusting ring 1 -1,25" by doing so I m almost at the same posion as the marks that I have made on the original setting. (the second foto is at zero play)

please some advice
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: how to set the preload on the 091 carrier bearings? Reply with quote

you need a tool to hold the pins together and keep the case from spreading when the bellhousing is off. Then you set the lash and preload by the specs Rick Long gives. Do not follow Bentley or the factory manual because it is deceiving. The torque specs they give don't work unless there are some steps they omitted when writing the manual. Then you back it off, install the bell housing, and put it back to your marks. If you were just replacing seals you should have marked it first, then put it back to the marks when done.

Here is my version of a 381/8 tool that you need for that:

VW tool at top:

05gh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: how to set the preload on the 091 carrier bearings? Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice, just copy en paste Smile I have replace the taperd-roller bearing (SKF) on both sides. Based on what I have understand you could turn the adjusting ring back on factory setting (I have a mark on the case and the adjusting ring see foto 2). Both If a measure zero play and a preload of 1" then I'm still more then a 1" of from factory setting. I guess that the measurement method is more accurate then back to factory setting.

SGKent wrote:
you need a tool to hold the pins together and keep the case from spreading when the bellhousing is off. Then you set the lash and preload by the specs Rick Long gives. Do not follow Bentley or the factory manual because it is deceiving. The torque specs they give don't work unless there are some steps they omitted when writing the manual. Then you back it off, install the bell housing, and put it back to your marks. If you were just replacing seals you should have marked it first, then put it back to the marks when done.

Here is my version of a 381/8 tool that you need for that:

VW tool at top:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: how to set the preload on the 091 carrier bearings? Reply with quote

you cannot set it with a gauge without the tool. The case expands and that will throw your measurement off. The bell housing has holes for the pins to keep the case from expanding. You aren't even supposed to remove the bell housing unless you have already taken pressure off those bearings or the case will deform.
05gh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: how to set the preload on the 091 carrier bearings? Reply with quote

Home made 381/8 tool. The fitting feels like putting on the clutch housing. The difference in reading between with or with-out the tool is approximate 1" by zero play. So in my case with out the tool I had set the preload 1" to tight. Afther this I will install oil seal, mount the clutch housing and then set the preload as calculated 1" - 1,25" inch from zero play (by feel Smile).

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: how to set the preload on the 091 carrier bearings? Reply with quote

the preload is in the Bentley but it is listed by torque which does not work. The BACKLASH is in Bentley too. You have to do the math. Normally when a ring and pinion is taken out the lash is put back exactly where it was or the gear will whine. If you change it back to factory specs go on the wide side and use a marking compound to inspect the gear lash in both directions. SInce you have the ring out be sure to inspect the pinion nut that it is still in the marked position and has not loosened.
05gh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: how to set the preload on the 091 carrier bearings? Reply with quote

I have only replaced the tapered roller bearing on both sides. Set the preload on 1 inch en check the backlash average 0.18mm and finally a pattern check with yellow gear compound. I think this pattern is acceptable?

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: how to set the preload on the 091 carrier bearings? Reply with quote

did you check it in both directions? Ask Sodbuster what he thinks. I'll reserve my opinion until then. What was your backlash before and after the bearings were replaced?

Also did you check the pinion nut to be sure it has not come a little loose? You can look at the peens to do that.
05gh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: how to set the preload on the 091 carrier bearings? Reply with quote

Yes I did a check in both directions and with a load on the drive shaft. I'm learning by doing en reading. Now I know to measure before Wink . But the bearing adjuster are close to original setting. I had marked and measured the depth and there are approximately 1 inch off on both sides. What I have understand is that when pressing in the outer race, small particles will scrape off the aluminium. This will give a off set. (The pignion nut is tight).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: