Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Lind wrote:

As posted earlier in this topic, in 1998, Eberhard Spengler (or perhaps Fengler) sold it to Dick Christensen. In 2012, Dick sold it to Gene Langan, and last week in 2020, Gene sold it to me. I would love to fill in the gap in the ownership history. I have been searching for info on Vasek Polak shipping buses over, and I have not found anything yet. After I get the bus delivered, I'll post something on the 356 registry to see if they have any info.

From what I remember is that it was owned by a guy in Hermosa Beach name Ebenezer (maybe it was Eberhard and I remember it as Ebenezer) who wanted $5k for it back in the 80s. It was a lot of cash back then, but Jeff ended up stepping up and that is who Jeff bought it from. It also had a homemade wood shelf in the back.

Granted this is all from memory from 30+ years ago.

I hope this helps.
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

I don’t know of Jeff ever owning the bus? Dick bought the bus from Eberhard in ‘98. Eberhard’s shop was in Hermosa Beach and from what I understand, the bus was there in plain view for quite a while. I believe that’s where the older pic is from, I think Jeff took it.

I went with Dick to pick up the bus and transported it back here in ‘98. We picked it up at WCM in Harbor City. From what I remember, Lorn at WCM had a relationship with Eberhard and helped facilitate the deal. When we picked it up it had already been moved to WCM.

Good to hear it’s getting some mechanical attention. We just did the minimum to get it to Octo. I think there were plans to go further if it stuck around. I don’t remember it driving so well... Not that a ‘50 panel makes a good driver. I don’t know that I’d drive that thing across town, let alone across the country. Very Happy
VWmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Lind. Contact Loren Pearson At WCM. He used to work for Vlasic and can probably give you more info than Dave and I already have. It was
Spengler who sold it to me. Doubt Vlasic ever registered the bus as he just used them as transport vehicles. Dick
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

The man's name was Eberhard Fengler with an "F". My mom dated him, back in the day & rode around in Sudfunk quite a bit. He was a good friend of my dad's as well. We are trying to contact him through some of there old friends to get the story straight from the source. My mom & dad would love to see this bus again someday.

Conrad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
The man's name was Eberhard Fengler with an "F". My mom dated him, back in the day & rode around in Sudfunk quite a bit. He was a good friend of my dad's as well. We are trying to contact him through some of there old friends to get the story straight from the source. My mom & dad would love to see this bus again someday.

Conrad

I will drive the bus over after I get it and get it going. I look forward to hearing their memories of it firsthand.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Hey Lind is this your first Barndoor or have you had/have one in the past? So excited to hear much more about it and learn more about the earliest of all buses.

Lind wrote:
srfndoc wrote:
It definitely found the right owner. Are there any pics of this bus as found in the dealership?

I have only seen one old pic of the bus. I don't know where it was taken. There are other VWs in the background. I have never seen a VW dealership that had junk cars like that sitting around, so I assume that pic was not taken at a dealership. I emailed Jeff to ask if he had any info on the bus, but I have not heard back from him. If anyone has any info or history on the bus, I would appreciate it.

What I have heard was that Vasek Polak bought it in Stuttgart, filled it with Porsche parts and shipped it to California. I believe that he did this multiple times with buses. I would assume that he sold the bus off at some point.

As posted earlier in this topic, in 1998, Eberhard Spengler (or perhaps Fengler) sold it to Dick Christensen. In 2012, Dick sold it to Gene Langan, and last week in 2020, Gene sold it to me. I would love to fill in the gap in the ownership history. I have been searching for info on Vasek Polak shipping buses over, and I have not found anything yet. After I get the bus delivered, I'll post something on the 356 registry to see if they have any info.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Hey Lind is this your first Barndoor or have you had/have one in the past? So excited to hear much more about it and learn more about the earliest of all buses.

This is my fourth barndoor panel. I had a '55 that I found the very first time I went parts hunting. I bought that one for $300. I also owned a '54 briefly, and a '55 walkthrough panel.

There are two other '50s that I have hunted but not bought. One I had the opportunity to buy fifteen years ago, and foolishly passed on buying, and one that I was strongly considering buying when this one came up. There are not many '50s out there, and many of them are total garbage. I am unwilling to replace large amounts of metal on my cars, so the potential pool is very limited.

The focus of my collection is post barndoor buses, but I have always like barndoor panels. They have a simple look. This is where it all began. I have been toying around with contrasting this bus in my collection with a late model bus, either a 21 window or a '75 Brazilian bus, to show how much changed over the production run.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

VWmeister wrote:
Lind. Contact Loren Pearson At WCM. He used to work for Vlasic and can probably give you more info than Dave and I already have. It was
Spengler who sold it to me. Doubt Vlasic ever registered the bus as he just used them as transport vehicles. Dick

I will get ahold of him. I have been reaching out to anyone I can find who has history on this bus. I have all the owners over the last ~50 years nailed down.
Fengler - Christensen - Langan - Bjornsen.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Lind I like your thought process and always eager to learn more. Is that contrasting 75 Brazilian the last of the Split Bus line? I love all the small changes in hardware design, does the Brazilian bus have similar latches in the cargo door to the Barndoor or am I not clear on the images I have studied? I wish there was a good museum here in the states that we can physically see these subtle changes in the design. I love the blend paint/repair on Sudfunk to keep as much integrity to original as possible. Will you do any more yourself?

Lind wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

This is my fourth barndoor panel. I had a '55 that I found the very first time I went parts hunting. I bought that one for $300. I also owned a '54 briefly, and a '55 walkthrough panel.

There are two other '50s that I have hunted but not bought. One I had the opportunity to buy fifteen years ago, and foolishly passed on buying, and one that I was strongly considering buying when this one came up. There are not many '50s out there, and many of them are total garbage. I am unwilling to replace large amounts of metal on my cars, so the potential pool is very limited.

The focus of my collection is post barndoor buses, but I have always like barndoor panels. They have a simple look. This is where it all began. I have been toying around with contrasting this bus in my collection with a late model bus, either a 21 window or a '75 Brazilian bus, to show how much changed over the production run.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Lind I like your thought process and always eager to learn more. Is that contrasting 75 Brazilian the last of the Split Bus line? I love all the small changes in hardware design, does the Brazilian bus have similar latches in the cargo door to the Barndoor or am I not clear on the images I have studied? I wish there was a good museum here in the states that we can physically see these subtle changes in the design. I love the blend paint/repair on Sudfunk to keep as much integrity to original as possible. Will you do any more yourself?

The contrast that I am thinking of is more with shape and overall design. So similar yet so different. '75 was the last year for split production worldwide, '67 was the last year for German split production. The Brazilian bus is closer to a barndoor than a '67 German bus, with the cargo doors being the most barndoorlike thing on a Brazilian. I like the Brazilian buses. Different branches of the same family tree.

There is no museum that I know about that has any good bus content. There are several private collections that have a good selection of split buses. Overall, buses are a very deep topic. There were a few generations of buses inside the split era, and there were eight normal models and countless special models. I listed over 100 models and special uses in my latest column in HotVWs. A comprehensive collection is simply not possible. The best selection that you can see is by going to an OCTO show.

As for sudfunk, there is little or nothing I can do to improve the outward appearance. The inside will get some paint stripping done to remove the repaint.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

nice catch
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Congrats Lind, aweeeesssomeeeeeeee!!!!
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Yes, Lind I saw the similarity in the cargo doors to the Brazilian bus just recently. The latches are they identical? As you mention the Barndoor body being similar in shape to the Brazilian more than the 67 German bus is interesting and I'll take note of that now. I do need to get to an OCTO show although in NY/NJ area that won't be easy but I think it is time to make my bi-annual pilgrimage to my family in CA during the show times. I'll assign myself some homework now.

Lind wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

The contrast that I am thinking of is more with shape and overall design. So similar yet so different. '75 was the last year for split production worldwide, '67 was the last year for German split production. The Brazilian bus is closer to a barndoor than a '67 German bus, with the cargo doors being the most barndoorlike thing on a Brazilian. I like the Brazilian buses. Different branches of the same family tree.

There is no museum that I know about that has any good bus content. There are several private collections that have a good selection of split buses. Overall, buses are a very deep topic. There were a few generations of buses inside the split era, and there were eight normal models and countless special models. I listed over 100 models and special uses in my latest column in HotVWs. A comprehensive collection is simply not possible. The best selection that you can see is by going to an OCTO show.

As for sudfunk, there is little or nothing I can do to improve the outward appearance. The inside will get some paint stripping done to remove the repaint.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
I have wanted sudfunk since last century, and I am fortunate to be the new caretaker of it.

Lind, thanks for letting me take the tractor/Sudfunk 50, for a spin last night.

Such a cool bus, even if it is a panel. Wink
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Lind wrote:
I have wanted sudfunk since last century, and I am fortunate to be the new caretaker of it.

Anytime. It was a good fun time.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Lind wrote:

I would have driven out if I'd known there was a get together last night, I gotta get outta here
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
Lind wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Lind wrote:

I would have driven out if I'd known there was a get together last night, I gotta get outta here
It was a pretty small impromptu thing. You certainly would have beat me for the distance award, which as far as I can tell was a can of PBR.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Mr. OGPaint wrote:
Lind wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Lind wrote:

It was a pretty small impromptu thing. You certainly would have beat me for the distance award, which as far as I can tell was a can of PBR.

Or a nice photo shoot with a strange middle seat.
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

Here you go:

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Arizona 1950 Panel, Sudfunk Reply with quote

And as always, The Lind teaching class Smile

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: