Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 store single thrust cam bearing
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Type 4 store single thrust cam bearing Reply with quote

I bought all my engine stuff in December. Just now assembling. It is Saturday I suppose I can call them Monday....

But the thrust bearing has a tang and the case saddle does not have a notch.

I could file the tang down.... Or I could file a notch in the saddle????

This happened to anyone before?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 store single thrust cam bearing Reply with quote

Hold your horses..... Looking closer and comparing this shell to the others.... The tang is a bit different, not as pronounced. So I am now wondering if this, smaller protrusion, is designed to crush in when the case is bolted up.

Ya think?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 store single thrust cam bearing Reply with quote

Malcom - one side of the case has a tang, The other does not. On a single flange bearing, like I use, that one with the thrust only goes in the one side of the case with a notch. If you go to a double thrust flange, like some people do, you are getting two sets of single thrust flange bearings because that is what the factory used, so you have to file a notch in the other half of the case. Basically the vendor sells you two single case sets and tosses out the bearings that won't get used.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 store single thrust cam bearing Reply with quote

What it looks like to me is you might have the 2nd thrust bearing from a double thrust set. The thrust bearing of a single thrust ('normal') set of cam bearings does not have the tang. The opposite bearing, the non-thrust bearing in the journal closest to the cam gear, has the tang.

To make a proper set of double thrust bearings you need a thrust bearing with a tang, that is used in place of the non-thrust bearing. There is a Porsche bearing that does this perfectly, and the bearing in the OP photo looks like that bearing.

So what I think you might have in the photo is a Porsche intermediate shaft bearing that could be used as the 2nd thrust bearing in a double thrust set.

ALSO: no, the tang is never designed to crush. It's designed to fit into a corresponding relief slot in the case journal, to prevent the bearing from rotating.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 store single thrust cam bearing Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
What it looks like to me is you might have the 2nd thrust bearing from a double thrust set. The thrust bearing of a single thrust ('normal') set of cam bearings does not have the tang. The opposite bearing, the non-thrust bearing in the journal closest to the cam gear, has the tang.

To make a proper set of double thrust bearings you need a thrust bearing with a tang, that is used in place of the non-thrust bearing. There is a Porsche bearing that does this perfectly, and the bearing in the OP photo looks like that bearing.

So what I think you might have in the photo is a Porsche intermediate shaft bearing that could be used as the 2nd thrust bearing in a double thrust set.

ALSO: no, the tang is never designed to crush. It's designed to fit into a corresponding relief slot in the case journal, to prevent the bearing from rotating.

^^^^^....THIS.

I have two sets of douhle thrust bearinga from the type 4 store. That's what thry look like. Call them. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 store single thrust cam bearing Reply with quote

I tried the thrust bearing in the right case half. Yes there is a relief notch there, but the tang and the notch don’t line up. 1/2 the tang misses the notch.

Scott, you maybe right. This set appears to have a miss packed bearing. I guess they added the 2nd thrust bearing for the right 1/2 vs the correct bearing for the left half (with no tang).
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 store single thrust cam bearing Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:

Neither of those shells have an oiling hole.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 store single thrust cam bearing Reply with quote

I have found that the bearings in some of these double thrust bearing sets are not even the correct diameter to fit the bore in the case. Lots of bad stuff out there any more. If there is a vendor that dependably supplies the right bearings most of the time, I would sure like to know who it is.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 store single thrust cam bearing Reply with quote

file the tang. that is SOP. always modify the cheapest part. going at your case with an ax wouldn't be a smart move. I've done this on every air-cooled I have built

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 store single thrust cam bearing Reply with quote

Another thought is to use the old cam as an anvil. Thats is: with the old cam on the bench, install the thrust bearing on the old cam. With the tang visible tap the tang with a hammer and brass punch.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 store single thrust cam bearing Reply with quote

you will deform the bearing. just file the tang

it's been done forever that way

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...h_forum=12

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 store single thrust cam bearing Reply with quote

DONE DEAL>>>>>

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 store single thrust cam bearing Reply with quote

I would say that they have NOT always been done that way. I was watching Jake's video.... good close up of his build.... NO TANG mid to late 80's.

This picture is of the bearing that came out and the new one.... NO TANG. 1975

In 2012 I build a 1911 cc TIV with bearings from the type4store..... NO TANG.

I hate it when parts suppliers either just expect everyone to know that their product needs to be modified, or they don't care to put instructions in the box. Thank goodness for all these forums with folks that have broken the seal on all these crappy supplier stories.

Anyway, this problem is solved. Thanks to all that chimed in. I especially like the comment, "modify the cheapest part" !!!

TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 store single thrust cam bearing Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
I would say that they have NOT always been done that way. I was watching Jake's video.... good close up of his build.... NO TANG mid to late 80's.

I hate it when parts suppliers either just expect everyone to know that their product needs to be modified, or they don't care to put instructions in the box. Thank goodness for all these forums with folks that have broken the seal on all these crappy supplier stories.

Anyway, this problem is solved. Thanks to all that chimed in. I especially like the comment, "modify the cheapest part" !!!

Thinking like a business owner on Skills’ part. It’s hundreds of little smart decisions like that during the day that will keep his business thriving.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 store single thrust cam bearing Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
I would say that they have NOT always been done that way.

that may be, but when adding a double thrust cam bearing that is the only way I have known. perhaps at one time you could walk into the dealer and get a non-tanged thrust bearing...that I wouldn't know. when adding a double thrust bearing to a T1, that is what I have done.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 store single thrust cam bearing Reply with quote

I have a set of double thrust set of cam bearings from the Type 4 store that I wasn't going to use because no way am I going to whittle a notch in my case and end up hating my life when it all goes tits up, but filing down the bearing tang. That's doable...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 store single thrust cam bearing Reply with quote

more cam bearing fun

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 store single thrust cam bearing Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
more cam bearing fun

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Yeah...

It’s a great idea and seems so simple. I will be happy enough to set up single thrust bearings correctly. I will have a look at the double thrust set I have. If it’s an ass ache I’m out.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 store single thrust cam bearing Reply with quote

I use single thrust for numerous reasons, that being one.
Bloog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 store single thrust cam bearing Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:

Did you even bother to CALL them and ask? Mistakes happen and it's pretty obvious that they simply forgot to file the tang off before putting it on the shelf. I personally know the manager of The Type 4 Store and know that she would have bent over backwards to help you, so don't get on here bad mouthing them if you don't even have the courtesy of calling them first.
It's not any parts stores job to tell you how to build an engine... Rolling Eyes

chabanais wrote:
Ah... you buy from Sum Ting Wong Distribution Company.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: