Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric Washer switch/button question--72 SB
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Electric Washer switch/button question--72 SB Reply with quote

Hey guys, I have a 72 Super Beetle. I purchased an electric washer system, one of the nice ones. Here it is.

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D133%2D989%2D453%2DB

I was told to mount the switch in place of the brake warning light in the dash. Has anyone done this? If so, did you remove the entire wiper assembly to do this?
diamondblue1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Washer switch/button question--72 SB Reply with quote

since you probably have a column mounted wiper switch , apparently it can be modified to operate the pump . search column wiper switch.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=719235&highlight=column+wiper
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Washer switch/button question--72 SB Reply with quote

Yes, but I wanted to use the button that came with the pump and reservoir. I'm trying to figure out if it can be mounted in the dash without taking the wiper assembly out or if that's necessary.
diamondblue1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Washer switch/button question--72 SB Reply with quote

Maybe mount it where the wiper switch on the dash in a 71 is . you should be able to see the spot from behind in the trunk.
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Washer switch/button question--72 SB Reply with quote

Should be easy. Take your dash center panel carefully out. Push the brake light switch out the front. disconnect the wires and warap the ends in electrical tape and then tape them together and leave them loose behind the dash.

Get a step drill bit. Make the hole the correct size for the new switch. Run the hot wire through the hole in the lower left inside the dash. Its easier to enter through the trunk and pull the wire into the dash.

Here's mine, but I put the button in the radio block off plate. I didn't like the red button it came with so I bought a black one. But I like the idea of installing it in the Brake warning light location.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Washer switch/button question--72 SB Reply with quote

On a 72? I have the flat, padded dash. Looking in the front trunk, the brake warning light is actually behind the wiper assembly which complicates things!
Crying or Very sad
SchoolcraftSignal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Washer switch/button question--72 SB Reply with quote

Yes, the brake warning light is behind the wiper motor and the wiper motor will have to be removed for you to access the light. BUT the switch you have will not fit in that location without modification to the dash anyways, the hole is too small so you'd have to drill it out. Also, once installed I don't think you will be able to press the switch due to the thickness of the dash pad. This picture should help (taken from the gallery):

Note the difference in height of the one on the right vs the middle one. The middle is what that switch has while the right is what came from the factory to take up the thickness of the dash pad. It's odd they send the short one since this kit is designed for Super Beetles.

Send a pic of your switch and that should help. If it is long enough to fit through the dash pad my recommendation would be to mount it in top left (empty) or bottom left (#16) as you can see in this picture. The hole should be the right size, all you'll have to do is cut out the dash pad in that area.

Hope this helps!

"Sven" 1965 Sunroof Beetle
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Electric Washer switch/button question--72 SB Reply with quote

SchoolcraftSignal,

Your post was incredibly helpful--thank you!

Here's the switch.

There's a bit of length to that shaft so maybe it'll work?

My car has a non-functioning cigarette lighter in the bottom left of the center panel on the dash pad. I was thinking of adding the switch here. What do you think?

CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Electric Washer switch/button question--72 SB Reply with quote

That is where I placed mine. I even used the brake warning light escutcheon to cover the rough edges of the cut dash pad. And the switch is long enough so it sticks out just enough like the rest of the switches.

But the flat dash brake light hole is also big enough for this switch as well. You do NOT have to remove the wiper mechanism to get to this spot, but you will need to remove the radio. When I had my radio out in my previous bug, I repaired the brake light warning switch and was able to reach around through the radio opening to push back the tabs that hold it in there.
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Electric Washer switch/button question--72 SB Reply with quote

That looks great Carl! Is that in your 69? Did you replace the dash pad too?
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Electric Washer switch/button question--72 SB Reply with quote

I purchased the car two years ago completely redone. Nuts and bolts refurbishment. A decent job. It is my daily driver. So isn't done to show car standards. And not exactly period correct either.
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Washer switch/button question--72 SB Reply with quote

Sounds gorgeous! My super beetle is far from a show car. The previous owners did some pretty horrific stuff to it, but she drives, looks nice and if paid for so who can argue with that?! I’ve redone the interior. I’m supposed to get a new transmission installed in a week (conversion to 4 speed).
eirofarr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Electric Washer switch/button question--72 SB Reply with quote

This is the installation on my car
Washer Tank

Switch, mounted lower left
STEAK_BUG72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Electric Washer switch/button question--72 SB Reply with quote

I mounted a momentary micro toggle switch under the dash near the rear defroster switch. I’m working on mounting a micro switch on the steering column mounted wiper/washer switch. It’s taking the place of the washer fluid valve on the stalk.
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Washer switch/button question--72 SB Reply with quote

[quote="STEAK_BUG72"]

/quote]

I would use the black toggle switch already in place, the one for the long dead rear defroster..
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Washer switch/button question--72 SB Reply with quote

Love your 72, Steak!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Washer switch/button question--72 SB Reply with quote

I drilled a hole under the dash and inserted a toggle switch from the trunk area for my electric washer system.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: