Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anti-freeze/coolant recommendations
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeinleinTrooper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-freeze/coolant recommendations Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
I always use Rowe coolant. My supplier has it for $16 a gallon. G11 rated.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/2106640803.htm?pn=21066-408-03-INT

My Vanagon shop/mentor mechanic uses Rowe coolant in Vanagons, too.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-freeze/coolant recommendations Reply with quote

I currently use Zerex G-05, but will be switching to G-48 on the next maintenance cycle. Valvoline is the supplier to Mercedes, so I just use their coolant products in all my engines.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti-freeze/coolant recommendations Reply with quote

I did not used to believe it but I now seen enough evidence that G48 Valvoline is the same as MBZ blue, VW G11 and BMW blue. I get it in Rowe or Valvoline. It is interesting that VW specs a two year drain interval, BMW lifetime and MBZ said 10 years last I looked.

But for VAG products I am with tjet. I use G13 in mine. I think that VW uses a different G system for coolant ID than the rest of the world. Or else 11=48.

Honda specs borate free. There are a lot of theories out there about coolant chemistry. Just don't use silcate formulas unless you are scrupulous about drain intervals. The silicates are designed to drop out of solution to fill eroded areas.

It is difficult and time consuming to purge all traces of old coolant out of anything but even more so on Vanagons. Please use distilled or demineralized water. And disregard old wives tails about hungry electrons in distilled water.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti-freeze/coolant recommendations Reply with quote

Somewhere I have a technical bulletin from MB stating very plainly that Valvoline is the supplier of the coolant they sell at the dealer for astronomic prices. It was G-05 and now is G-48. VAG and MB both share nearly all the same parts suppliers, so I feel comfortable using the specs from one on the other's engines. Plus, I can run to the local parts store and pick up Zerex.

y u rune klassik?
syncroAustralia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti-freeze/coolant recommendations Reply with quote

hardway wrote:
It is interesting that VW specs a two year drain interval, BMW lifetime and MBZ said 10 years last I looked..

G11 is lifetime. Check owners manual. G12+ G13 etc requires replacement.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~pjlander/volkswagen_syncro.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-freeze/coolant recommendations Reply with quote

No automotive fluid is lifetime.

y u rune klassik?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-freeze/coolant recommendations Reply with quote

Lifetime* of the fluid.

* probably the lifetime of a hamster.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-freeze/coolant recommendations Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I currently use Zerex G-05, but will be switching to G-48 on the next maintenance cycle. Valvoline is the supplier to Mercedes, so I just use their coolant products in all my engines.
i use Zerex as well. No issues so far. Land Rover did use G-48 with the BMW sourced V-8 when they had it for the 3 years it was in the older Range Rover, but all other engines since the early '00s have been DexCool for them , same for Jaguar.
Not much in the way of steel fittings or pipes like on our Vanagons, but plenty of Aluminum, and lots of plastic piping and manifolds.
I used Dex-Cool on 80's BMWs before BMW even switched fully out of the older Green Coolant and over to the Blue Coolant in the later 90s.
All of the later Coolants are so much better at not dropping out the Silicates, due to not having them in the first place, which would adhere to many places in an engine , clogging things up eventually like with the old Coolants.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: