Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Emergency flasher problem... tried many solutions already
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pianobrooks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Emergency flasher problem... tried many solutions already Reply with quote

When I turn on the emergency flashers in my 1984 Westy, I get a steady green light on the indicator panel and nothing at the bulbs. Turns signals work fine.

I have checked all locations for dead bulbs & loose or corroded connections. Only corrosion was on the side marker lights which I cleaned up nicely.

I have replaced the emergency flasher relay with the correct part from BusDepot.com. I have even replaced the emergency flasher switch itself, but this hasn't helped either.

Any ideas for the source of this maddening problem? I am mostly a beginner at automotive electrical so let me know if I have missed something obvious.

Thanks ~
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*scratching my head* sorry, pianobrooks, i would have said the relay. clearly i'm no good on this one, but i wonder if the smarter folks here would wonder if they worked at one time, and if so, what happened when you realized they weren't working. (i.e. did you turn them on and hear a "pop" to no flashing function, etc.) the bentley is in the garage with our van, but i can fetch it tomorrow if you need a look-up.

fwiw on another one of our vehicles, we'll get solid flashers (just lit, no flash) right before the bulb is about to go out. the bulb will work fine except under the stress of flash. i replace the back bulbs and voila.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you probably know, under normal circumstances the emergency flasher switch lights up when on, not the turn signal indicator on the instrument cluster. So it seems something is up between the power source and the switch?

I don't have my Bentley out - but is there a ground for the switch itself and that might be the problem?

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had problems with my flashers about a year or so back. I tried multiple flasher modules, but still had the same problem until I found a NOS factory relay. I know they are supposed to be interchangeable with a pretty common off the shelf aftermarket flasher module, but mine didn't work.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think the relay is the problem. If I remember my 84's wiring diagram correctly, the relay controls both the turn signals and the hazard lights. The turn signal stalk just connects the relay to either the left side or right while the hazard switch connects it to both.
I would focus your investigation on the wiring, foil on back of the instrument cluster, or possibly the switch itself.
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
ThorAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the switch. I've had variations of that problem on bot the van's I've had. There is a kind of lubricant in the switch that tends to get on the contacts and cause solid lights either on the switch or dash lamp, and sometimes you will get flashers on only one side or something else weird. You can take the switch apart and clean it (10 minute job first time) or just put in a good one. I cleaned mine and know of several others that did the same with good and lasting results.

Ex-vans:
1990 Caravelle coach 1.6TD
1986 Transporter Double cab syncro 2.1 112hp

"I'm wrong so often... It's great!" - Adam Savage
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun, take out all 6 of the bulbs. Put the flasher on and insert them one at a time. You can also look for shorts to ground on the hot leads (center) on all the contacts.

The switch or relay could be it, but on a 25 year old van, I suspect wire. Like the neurons in my brain, the older they get, the less reliable the connections.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lisihowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pianobrooks -- did you find the source of your problem? I'm having the exact same thing happen to my 1990 Vanagon. Turn signals work, hazards don't even though the light (for turn signals) is lit in the dash - though not the hazard button. If anyone else wants to tell me how to take out the switch or which wires to check, that'd be much appreciated. I'm a newbie and need as much instruction as possible. thanks!
DBibeau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having similar problems and think it is time to hunt it down... My flashers stopped working at the same time my transmission ate itself, so I'm not sure if any noise was made at the time of failure (although I can tell you it was pretty darn inconvenient!)... I had a blinker out for a bit, and just changed the bulb hoping it would fix the issue, but no dice.

What I've got: All working lights, left blinker works no problem, right blinker only works when I find the sweet spot (which is not just flip the lever up, it's just below that), and when I try to turn the flashers on I get a click and the light comes on, but no flashing (I don't think any of the exterior lights come on either).

I've tried a replacement flasher relay, but didn't fix the issue and since the blinkers work fine I'm assuming that's not the problem. Anyone got some good ideas of what to track down?
66elwood99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lisihowell wrote:
Pianobrooks -- did you find the source of your problem? I'm having the exact same thing happen to my 1990 Vanagon. Turn signals work, hazards don't even though the light (for turn signals) is lit in the dash - though not the hazard button. If anyone else wants to tell me how to take out the switch or which wires to check, that'd be much appreciated. I'm a newbie and need as much instruction as possible. thanks!

Same here, took out switch and cleaned everything up and no luck then changed relay with smaller one bought from autozone. Plugs lined up but no positive results. Next going to try new switch. We'll see......
VVANDER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThorAlex wrote:
It's the switch. I've had variations of that problem on bot the van's I've had. There is a kind of lubricant in the switch that tends to get on the contacts and cause solid lights either on the switch or dash lamp, and sometimes you will get flashers on only one side or something else weird. You can take the switch apart and clean it (10 minute job first time) or just put in a good one. I cleaned mine and know of several others that did the same with good and lasting results.

I was having the same issue with the hazard switch. Your advice to clean the switch worked perfectly. Thank you!
tbucktruck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher problem... tried many solutions already Reply with quote

BUMP
I'm having the same issue: signals work, but flasher gives me a solid light and no action. Also, when the hazards stopped working, my running lights on the drivers side went out. Oddly, the rear defrost switch, when toggled, will turn the hazard switch light on. Leads me to believe its in the wiring, but I'm going to take the switch out and clean it. Will post results
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher problem... tried many solutions already Reply with quote

tbucktruck wrote:
BUMP
I'm having the same issue: signals work, but flasher gives me a solid light and no action. Also, when the hazards stopped working, my running lights on the drivers side went out. Oddly, the rear defrost switch, when toggled, will turn the hazard switch light on. Leads me to believe its in the wiring, but I'm going to take the switch out and clean it. Will post results

It seems to me that for the Vanagon whenever there is something weird going on electrically, such as what you described, it's usually grounds. Check the grounds behind the fuses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher problem... tried many solutions already Reply with quote

I had this problem too.
It was only a fuse for the flashers. For me it was a simple fix Laughing
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher problem... tried many solutions already Reply with quote

Yes, replace fuse #9 for an 85 van.

Turn signal use a different fuse.
The blinker led on the dash uses no fuse.

Mark
whereiwannabe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThorAlex wrote:

New first-time Westy owner continuing to appreciate all the great advice here! Both my turn signals were working fine, but hazards only showed up on one side. Following advice here I dissembled the switch, hosed it down with contact cleaner, reassembled and voila!

On to the next fix!
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher problem... tried many solutions already Reply with quote

Recent topic Failed turn Signals has a whole bunch on info on flasher v turn signals issues. Mark is the man. He knows.

My flasher just started doing odd things. The green light came on but nothing for a few seconds then it started working. The next time, the relay buzzed and while the green indicator light was on, nothing happened, then it started working. Now it works but the green light doesn't come on with the ignition switch off. Flashing light inside the 4 way switch works and sequences with the exterior lights. With the key on, the exterior lights flash in sequence with the switch light, but the green light flashes out of sequence. In other words, it comes on when the exterior lights are off during the flashing sequence, but is off when both the switch and exterior lights are on. Turn signals are fine and green light works and also flashes out of sequence with the exterior lights. Baffling as the green light supply comes off the relay before the current goes anywhere else. So how can it work on turns, but not on E flasher and have different cycle modes?

Guessing it's the 4 way switch. Will try to disassemble and clean. Hope to get VVANDER's results.

Duncan
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher problem... tried many solutions already Reply with quote

It is NORMAL for the green led to not blink with the 4-way flashers unless the key is on.

Mark

DuncanS wrote:
....... Turn signals are fine and green light works and also flashes out of sequence with the exterior lights. Baffling as the green light supply comes off the relay before the current goes anywhere else. So how can it work on turns, but not on E flasher and have different cycle modes?

Guessing it's the 4 way switch. Will try to disassemble and clean. Hope to get VVANDER's results.

Duncan
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency flasher problem... tried many solutions already Reply with quote

Mark--Thanks. Still wondering about the buzzing relay and delays earlier, but watchful waiting will be the next order of business. When things go screwy, it can be hard to know what is normal.
whereiwannabe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VVANDER wrote:
ThorAlex wrote:

I was having the same issue with the hazard switch. Your advice to clean the switch worked perfectly. Thank you!

This worked for me as well.... !!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: