Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas smell...still!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell...still! Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
72VWSB wrote:
Well, I disconnected the plastic hose that connects to the long plastic tube under the cowling and blew air through it so I could locate it under the rear of the car somewhere. Had the wife man the air while I searched for the vent line. Well, I can hear something back there but I'll be damned if I can find it! Had an open metal line in front of the transmission which I thought was the right tube but no air coming out of it. Anyone know where this vent line goes under the car??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(pic found in this thread)

At the bottom of the car, it crosses to the right side and then runs rearward under the edge of the pan, where the body bolts are (silver tube in the pic above). In the right rear wheel-well, it curves up and follows the fender attach bolts about 2/3 of the way around the fender. That's where the carbon canister goes.

Thank you sir! Found it! it doesn't have any line anymore from where the steel tube dead ends near the right rear fender but I can see remnants of the old cloth rubber hose tattered on the end! Thanks again!
Blue69Baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell...still! Reply with quote

That is some good info where that tube goes...

Thanks KPF for the picture and write up!

Jim
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell...still! Reply with quote

Ok, seeing as I have eliminated my heater boxes, installed dual carbs and put a 36hp shroud on my 1915 engine, (without the little 1/2" blower pipe sticking out of the top right of shroud), is there any other way to hook up the Charcoal canister on my 72 SB? Or, am I just spitting in the wind here!?
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell...still! Reply with quote

Ok, seeing as I have eliminated my heater boxes, installed dual carbs and put a 36hp shroud on my 1915 engine, (without the little 1/2" blower pipe sticking out of the top right of shroud), is there any other way to hook up the Charcoal canister on my 72 SB? Or, am I just spitting in the wind here!?
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell...still! Reply with quote

Get a 90deg. barb x IPS fitting, drill appropriate size hole and mount it to the top of your air cleaner cover. You have to get a little creative. I can't remember what size fitting I used. Just measure the ID of the hose you are using. Run that hose to your canister along with the fan shroud hose. Hook up according to inlet (fan hose) and outlet to carb. It does work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell...still! Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
Get a 90deg. barb x IPS fitting, drill appropriate size hole and mount it to the top of your air cleaner cover. You have to get a little creative. I can't remember what size fitting I used. Just measure the ID of the hose you are using. Run that hose to your canister along with the fan shroud hose. Hook up according to inlet (fan hose) and outlet to carb. It does work

So, you do not have the fan barb at all but you hook up both hoses to a 90 on top of the air cleaner?
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell...still! Reply with quote

So, you do not have the fan barb at all but you hook up both hoses to a 90 on top of the air cleaner?[/quote]

No, assuming you have the correct canister, fan shroud hose goes to top of canister. This flows air through the canister while there is slight neg. pressure from carb. Carb hose goes to the bottom of canister. Fuel vapor line connects to obvious port on canister. Smallest port faces down when mounted to fender well. Sorry I don't have a pic, but they are out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell...still! Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
So, you do not have the fan barb at all but you hook up both hoses to a 90 on top of the air cleaner?

No, assuming you have the correct canister, fan shroud hose goes to top of canister. This flows air through the canister while there is slight neg. pressure from carb. Carb hose goes to the bottom of canister. Fuel vapor line connects to obvious port on canister. Smallest port faces down when mounted to fender well. Sorry I don't have a pic, but they are out there.[/quote]

Ok, this is what I do not have, is the Shroud hose fitting on the shroud anymore. They apparently do not make the 36hp shrouds with the top hose connection..
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell...still! Reply with quote

That explains it. Basically you need a source of positive pressure at the canister. Someone else may have some ideas. I have only messed around with the doghouse type. Maybe you could tap into your shroud with a 1/2" fitting?
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell...still! Reply with quote

That's right: 36hp shrouds don't have the right connection because in those years the cars didn't use carbon canisters (the tank was simply vented to the atmosphere).

To connect your canister, you'll have to add a fitting coming out of the shroud to supply air to the canister (or change the shroud to a late model). You'll also have to add a fitting to your air cleaner where the fumes from the canister will be pulled into the intake.

The fittings on the canister should be 13mm outside diameter, and they use a 12mm hose. You'll want to use the same size for your new fittings on the shroud and air cleaner.
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell...still! Reply with quote

72VWSB wrote:

You can probably get somewhere from here but your sure going the long way. Im not trying to discourage you but 2 charcoal canisters, a chopped up fan shroud and 4 pages of encouragement later when your done getting this canister thing lined out your still going to have a gas smell. The canister will not fix it. Find the source fix that and sale the canister. You wont miss it. Just trying to ease your headache.
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell...still! Reply with quote

db69 wrote:
72VWSB wrote:

You can probably get somewhere from here but your sure going the long way. Im not trying to discourage you but 2 charcoal canisters, a chopped up fan shroud and 4 pages of encouragement later when your done getting this canister thing lined out your still going to have a gas smell. The canister will not fix it. Find the source fix that and sale the canister. You wont miss it. Just trying to ease your headache.

Not using two charcoal canisters, just one...
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell...still! Reply with quote

72VWSB wrote:
db69 wrote:
72VWSB wrote:

You bought the wrong one first remember. Just advice.
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell...still! Reply with quote

db69 wrote:
72VWSB wrote:
db69 wrote:
72VWSB wrote:

You bought the wrong one first remember. Just advice.

Yes, you are correct...the expansion chamber! But I have nothing but time and I do love chatting with other VW owners who struggle with their individual troubles. I usually go in circles when I have a project...I try many different things till I'm happy with a result. I suppose this is no different but I do appreciate your feedback...
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell...still! Reply with quote

I am pleased to report that the charcoal canister that I rebuilt with fresh charcoal appears to work great! Now, I did install a 36hp shroud which I had to drill a hole in the upper right just about where the stock blower pipe was. I used a nylon 90deg on the shroud and a 90deg on my right air cleaner cover. Got all the hoses hooked up and I'm quite pleased how it turned out!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell...still! Reply with quote

It looks great, I'm sure it sounds great and I'm inspired by your successful charcoal canister restoration.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell...still! Reply with quote

That is fantastic. Congratulations!
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell...still! Reply with quote

db69 wrote:
72VWSB wrote:

I hate to say it, but this is correct. It's great that you want to have that system working perfectly, but the canister's presence or absence is not the source of the smell.

H2OSB
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell...still! Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
db69 wrote:
72VWSB wrote:

I hate to say it, but this is correct. It's great that you want to have that system working perfectly, but the canister's presence or absence is not the source of the smell.

H2OSB

Well, I took the car for a nice long ride...no smell anymore so I think I've fixed the problem...
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell...still! Reply with quote

72VWSB wrote:
H2OSB wrote:
db69 wrote:
72VWSB wrote:

H2OSB

Well, I took the car for a nice long ride...no smell anymore so I think I've fixed the problem...

Excellent. Always feels good to fix an issue.

In had a strong gas smell in my '73 Super, even though all of the vent tubes on the tank were tightly capped. To fix it I basically recreated the evap tubing in the front but without the plastic evap tank(which was missing from the car when I bought it). I just used another piece of tubing with T fittings on either end. I then reconnected to the tube that passes under the tank to the passenger side, and subsequently to the tube that carries the vapors to the back of the car. From there it vents to the outside air right at the front inner edge of the right rear fender. I would have reattached to the charcoal canister, but the P.O. had removed discarded it. Yes, I know it's not environmentally friendly, but it was doing the same thing before, but now the smell doesn't enter the cabin. Eventually, I'll replace all the rear bits...eventually. it's been working, as is, for 2+ years.

The point is, not having the canister didn't stop me from removing the smell.

Anyway, nice work getting that sorted.
H2OSB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: