Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Light Switches - Sensitivity Sucks
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you worry about your brake light sensitivity?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Brakes? What brakes?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

letsrig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Brake Light Switches - Sensitivity Sucks Reply with quote

I have replaced my brake light switches with those available from GoWesty and Napa. They have either leaked (brand new) or even DECREASED the sensitivity of my brake lights with pedal pressure. Can anyone recommend a pressure switch source to increase the sensitivity of my brake light actuation and create a safer driving experience? I have read many threads on the Samba about pressure switches, but could not find any with my specific issue. The mechanical side of my brakes seem fine but maybe there is something i am missing?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Switches - Sensitivity Sucks Reply with quote

For my TDI ECU to be happy, I had to add a mechanical switch like most cars have. Pretty easy to do. This switch was a little more complex because it opens on circuit at the exact same time it closes the other.

I was worried it couldn't handle the load, but still works to this day. The pressure switches are still there. I found they did not react quickly enough for the ECU like you have noticed.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Switches - Sensitivity Sucks Reply with quote

I am having this problem right now with a new switch.
Is it possible that there is an air bubble problem that occurs when you switch these out even if you did not lose much fluid?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Switches - Sensitivity Sucks Reply with quote

Tobias Duncan wrote:
I am having this problem right now with a new switch.
Is it possible that there is an air bubble problem that occurs when you switch these out even if you did not lose much fluid?

An air bubble would show up as a soft pedal. I personally think going with a mechanical switch is the way to go. Maybe one of the vendors will manufacture and sell a bracket for this purposes.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Switches - Sensitivity Sucks Reply with quote

Lately my LED third brake light has been staying on even after the van is turned off. I assume one of the brake light switches on the MC is weak and is bleeding ground off to the circuit. I really really don't want to deal with this right now.

Please feel free to tell me how lazy and irresponsible I am for not dealing with this in a timely manner. I need a good talking to.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Switches - Sensitivity Sucks Reply with quote

Well I let the switch sit over night and was about to order a new one but went out to do a bit more testing.
Today it works fine with even light pressure.
My theory is that air was in the little cavity in the tip of the sensor but somehow worked its way out.
Could be totally wrong but whatever it was , it seems to have sorted itself.
Will keep a close eye on it for a while
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Switches - Sensitivity Sucks Reply with quote

The van is the last of my vehicles to rely on hydraulic switches to operate the brake lights. On the others I have fitted this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E5DILY?psc=1...PDKIKX0DER

Typical (non-VW) fabrication of a bracket:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not sure what I am waiting for.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: