Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Misfire: Air in fuel line?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmlb929
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Misfire: Air in fuel line? Reply with quote

1977 Type 1. Replaced plugs and wires. Double checked gap and wires. Created a leak in fuel line going to injector. Cut off the part that had leak. Reattached. Broke wire going to head temp sensor. Spliced as best as I could. Would air in fuel line caused by my repair or the crappy splice job I did cause misfire? Thanks
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Misfire: Air in fuel line? Reply with quote

bmlb929 wrote:
1977 Type 1. Replaced plugs and wires. Double checked gap and wires. Created a leak in fuel line going to injector. Cut off the part that had leak. Reattached. Broke wire going to head temp sensor. Spliced as best as I could. Would air in fuel line caused by my repair or the crappy splice job I did cause misfire? Thanks
the head temp wouldn’t make it misfire , But gas starvation (air in pressure gas line ) probably would but it would go away as soon as it passes ,check the sparkplug wires for correct order maybe one is crossed.
bmlb929
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Misfire: Air in fuel line? Reply with quote

Thanks. I bought this for a hobby but it is beginning to drive me nuts.
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Misfire: Air in fuel line? Reply with quote

You learn as you go along.
Buy a couple of manuals. You will need them.
If you want reliability, keep things as stick as possible and try to use high quality Bosch parts for ignition circuit, generator, starter or alternator and voltage regulator.
Be sure to replace old fuel lines with new ones that can handle today's crappy ethanol mix gasoline.
Misfire can be electrical, dirty gasoline, incorrect timing, rust causing a hole in the exhaust, plug wires incorrect, bad rotor also check your spark plugs condition. They tell you what is happening inside your engine.
NGK are all the rage but I prefer Bosch. No platinum ones.
I would put a new fuel filter on, rust in the fuel tank happens all the time pita.
Make sure your battery is in good condition, clean connectors and good condition earth strap helps too.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Misfire: Air in fuel line? Reply with quote

bmlb929 wrote:
Thanks. I bought this for a hobby but it is beginning to drive me nuts.
Haha ,yeah they tend to do that once in a while ,fuel injection is a different animal but none the less a mechanical engine ,do research here lots to go around and systematically focus on one thing at a time make it fun like a hobby is supposed to be .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: