Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slideshow240
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got mine down with my little helper. Empi adjusta strut all the way down minus pulling the clip out.
Stock springs. For now.
One outer spline passenger side and one inner spline drivers side. Sits level now
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Nice height. Mine is a tad too low in the rear. I did an autocross this past weekend and would periodically hit the bumpstops on a hard transition. Course, I've not trimmed the bumpstops, which I will do soon.

H2OSB
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Just a note here... If you run a sump make sure you are not cutting the bump sops down to were the sump will hit the asphalt when driving.. This also means when driving over speed pumps.. Yes, the suspension will deplete that much.

On mine I added like 3/4 inch to the bump stop do to sump plus driving conditions of my roads, but also if I have to take to the side of the asphalt if I have to hit the shoulder do to skinny roads. I run a sump on a stoker.

My bump stops do hit perodilically, but not hard. I run GR-2's which help. RB

By the way, to add, my pump stops are also slightly making up for tire diameter change, which is not much.....
NOV 75 SB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: sway bar for lowered front end Reply with quote

Purchased a pair of adjustable struts from CIP1. adjusted the ring to lower 2 inches. Can I use my stock sway bar. Also noticed that the bolt ends of the sway bar have a slight angle. Should they point upwards or downwards when reinstalling sway bar. Thanks[/s]
cajun_sun_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

FWIW to those with the CIP1/EMPI adjustable struts, read some posts that the struts could be adjusted on the car...I tried and to the best of my knowledge that info is false, you have to pull the strut off to move the c clips, spring compressors will hit most things if you try to do it on the car, did mine today, went down two more spaces (about 2")

YMMV

PS
one tip on strut spring compressors;..always hear horror stories about using a pair of spring/strut compressors, the trick is to use 3 (THREE) compressors (i own 2 sets) so the spring is compressed evenly on three sides, this keeps the compressors from walking, also the compressors with the sliding "lock pin" work best, IMHO.

#cajunhotrodder on insta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slideshow240
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Adjustable struts all the way down with cip1 2" springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cajun_sun_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

slideshow240 wrote:

Very nice, any rubbing issues?
#cajunhotrodder on insta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slideshow240
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

cajun_sun_bug wrote:
slideshow240 wrote:

Very nice, any rubbing issues?

Waiting on disk brake to show up. The lower control arm is pretty close to the steering rack mounts and the factory sway bar is twisting the lower control arm. I am going to try and make some custom LCA's and ditch the sway bar and make tension rods then figure out how to reuse the sway bar
Hopefully. Haha
slideshow240
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

New design roll center adjuster for my 79. Trying to fix all the problems with being low low
Eric71sup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

I have installed the EMPI adjustable struts and Topline sport springs on the front of my 71 super. My issue is that the driver side now sits 3/4in lower than the passenger. They were within 1/4" before lowering. I can put a 4' level across the parking lights and see the difference. I have measured here, there and everywhere and can't find my issue. I haven't touched the rear yet until I get this figured out.
The Vos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Eric71sup wrote:
I have installed the EMPI adjustable struts and Topline sport springs on the front of my 71 super. My issue is that the driver side now sits 3/4in lower than the passenger. They were within 1/4" before lowering. I can put a 4' level across the parking lights and see the difference. I have measured here, there and everywhere and can't find my issue. I haven't touched the rear yet until I get this figured out.

Same situation here but the passenger side is lower! I have the TopLine Lowering Struts with the Sport Springs and have them in the top slot, just to lower a bit to level the front end.
slideshow240
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Anyone running drop spring plates on their super?? Thinking about getting some or making them
Twony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

The Vos wrote:
Eric71sup wrote:

Same situation here but the passenger side is lower! I have the TopLine Lowering Struts with the Sport Springs and have them in the top slot, just to lower a bit to level the front end.

I too just received my TopLine super low kit with sport springs and did the Maxx struts also. I have yet to install it but am considering on doing it now with all of my free time. I purchased from HDWheels in Plantwood Florida machine finish 914 retro 17x7" wheels with 205/40R17 tires. I can't wait to get it in the weeds. I hope to see how yall make out. Once I get this going I will post some photos. Happy wrenching!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Twony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

I just finally started putting some parts on my 71 Super. I bought top line super low coilover kit. I have not installed the sway bar yet but I did get the sway bar in addition. I hung the fender just to see how low it is after I put on my 17x7 914 remakes. I love that there is no wheel gap it sits perfect in the front. I have it at the lowest setting. These are really easy to put together in my garage with just a mounted vice and some hand tools. I've had this car since I was 15. When my dad passed away just after I could never part with it. It is great to see everybody else's projects. I hope to add to the community. As far as the rear, I like a raked look. The front in the weeds and the back sitting up just a little bit.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

I'd like to lower the front of my 74 super about 2-2.5". I realize Top Line is the way to go, but I'm in Canada. With the exchange rate, shipping costs, etc. this puts it substantially more costly than ordering the EMPI adjustable struts and inserts from CIP1 in Canada. Are these really that bad?
Daddy o's 67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Aberg83,

Just build your own adjustable struts. This is a cutdown 79 Super Beetle strut housing to fit VW rabbit inserts (about 1 3/8" - 1 1/2" removed), some off brand spring adjusters i picked up in a junkyard off of a Honda and 12" 140lb springs I purchased from Summit Racing.

boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Daddy o's 67 wrote:
Aberg83,

Just build your own adjustable struts. This is a cutdown 79 Super Beetle strut housing to fit VW rabbit inserts (about 1 3/8" - 1 1/2" removed), some off brand spring adjusters i picked up in a junkyard off of a Honda and 12" 140lb springs I purchased from Summit Racing.

Thanks, but that's about outside of my comfort zone.
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

I bought my 71 SB a year ago and only now realize... it looks like it was lowered already by the previous owner ???

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
offtherailz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

standard height rear on Koni reds and Kerscher’s on the front with uprated anti roll bar.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

offtherailz1 wrote:
standard height rear on Koni reds and Kerscher’s on the front with uprated anti roll bar.

Perfect stance.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 33

Jump to: