Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scratched #4 main journal
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Scratched #4 main journal Reply with quote

While fighting the snap ring I accidentally placed some scratches in the small #4 journal on my 84mm crank with the snap ring pliers. Any suggestions how to fix?

I did contact CB and all they told me was to use some Emory cloth. I see a roll of 400 grit emory cloth on Amazon and will use that if there isn't a quicker/better means of removing the scratch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Scratched #4 main journal Reply with quote

Looks minor..

400-600 grit is fine..
Local auto parts stores have it.
Use some oil with it. WD40 makes a great lube for wet-sanding.

Just a few seconds should be fine.
Nightshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Scratched #4 main journal Reply with quote

Buy the correct polishing paper from Goodson Tools or take to a local shop. If I caught any of my guys using Emory Cloth on a crank, It was their last day on the job.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Scratched #4 main journal Reply with quote

Thanks guys!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Scratched #4 main journal Reply with quote

Yo do know that the bearing itself will not contact the crankshaft, it rides on a tiny film of engine oil.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Scratched #4 main journal Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Yo do know that the bearing itself will not contact the crankshaft, it rides on a tiny film of engine oil.

Lol yes this is true. So long as the metal displaced from the scratches is not high enough to make contact with the bearing despite the oil film I should be good.

Just wanted to be safe and ask everyone in advance since this is my first stroker build and sorta pricey Very Happy

Thanks Cusser
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Scratched #4 main journal Reply with quote

Nightshift wrote:
Buy the correct polishing paper from Goodson Tools or take to a local shop. If I caught any of my guys using Emory Cloth on a crank, It was their last day on the job.

^^^^^
This

Use Crocus cloth
https://www.mcmaster.com/crocus-cloth/

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Scratched #4 main journal Reply with quote

thanks Glenn.

I see this one and will happily scoop it up if it will work:

https://www.mcmaster.com/8238A54
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Scratched #4 main journal Reply with quote

Yeah, don't lose sleep over it, that's extremely minor. You'll never know the difference or have any different outcome whether you use some 600 grit from the big box store or that roll of crocus from McMaster. In fact, at 1500-2000 grit that you linked, you might as well rub it with newspaper.

What's more, it looks like the worst of it is near the shoulder, followed by the end of the journal near the snout. The bearing isn't positioned near either of those areas...have you seen how skinny that bearing is? Just saying.

Last edited by Busstom on Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Scratched #4 main journal Reply with quote

Good points you made Tom
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Scratched #4 main journal Reply with quote

Well, it sounds like a couple folks recommended 600, or at least said it was passable. The Goodson or McMaster abrasives are an option, but slower to get and a few more dollars than a pack of O'Reilly 600 grit, so I'm leaning towards the 600 with just a quick pass over the journal with WD-40 to wet it down.

There are also a couple good points made about the fact that the oil film and narrow bearing won't really allow much contact with the scratch anyway.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Scratched #4 main journal Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2385452
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Scratched #4 main journal Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:

AWESOME Very Happy
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Scratched #4 main journal Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:

Thank you sir! Smile Just responded to the classified ad.

Ted
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: