Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's this Ghia part and Where does it go?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

My 70 came with A/C. I held onto it while trying to find a few replacement parts to make it look presentable. Never found any so I ended up tossing it. If it were me, I’d offer it in the classifieds for a while and see if anyone has a need.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Not a part but holes.

What are these 2 holes near the latch for?
71 Ghia.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

NoDents wrote:
Not a part but holes.

What are these 2 holes near the latch for?
71 Ghia.

I don't know what the holes are for, but my 71 Ghia has the same holes as well. So it's not anything done after the car left the factory.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Can a screwdriver go through the holes to access the grub screw for the pull wire? Two different holes covers LHD & RHD variants

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I have these holes as well in my LHD 71. I thought at least one was a drain hole. The only screwdriver that would fit would be a very slim style. Never could figure out what these were, so left them alone.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something during reassemble.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I know what this part is, but unsure of the year, and didn't want to start a new thread.

I got this and another door, in another color, with a bunch of stuff I bought at an airfield warehouse. The guy had no idea exactly what kind of car they went on, even though there was a deck lick with a KG badge on it, as well as a hood, so I took the whole lot.

Question is, can anyone advise by looking at the door handles and door panel what year range this would be? The other door unfortunately doesn't have the door panel, otherwise I could help someone with a set, only have for the right door. I've heard the chrome strips on the door panels are kind of hard to come by, but these are not in very good condition, unless they can be polished up.

Any info would be helpful,
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Inside door handle suggest pre 65. There is a door difference thread in ghia forum that will get you even closer.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Noted, thanks Darrel.
Jeff

Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

You can also pull a door latch and there will be a date stamp on that. There is also a date stamp on the arm of the window regulator. Assuming these parts are original to the door you can get a more accurate date of manufacture.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thank you Loren, I will check those spots, everything appears to be original.

Jeff

mooopers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Any ideas what these are? 1960 Ghia
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I was going to say they look like the chrome strips that sit on the outer top side of the door on top of the window rubber/scraper, but not sure if that was on a 60 Ghia. Plus they look like aluminum as opposed to the heavier metal strips I have on my 71. Waiting to see what they are.
Jeff

mooopers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

They are aluminium. Not curved at all
Rsellen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Jeff, the paint color appears to be pampas green which was only available 60-62. I only know that because its the same color as my ghia. If you think its original paint. I’d love to see some good photos of the door card. Looking for ideas for color combinations for my interior.

rbsurfguy wrote:
I know what this part is, but unsure of the year, and didn't want to start a new thread.

I got this and another door, in another color, with a bunch of stuff I bought at an airfield warehouse. The guy had no idea exactly what kind of car they went on, even though there was a deck lick with a KG badge on it, as well as a hood, so I took the whole lot.

Question is, can anyone advise by looking at the door handles and door panel what year range this would be? The other door unfortunately doesn't have the door panel, otherwise I could help someone with a set, only have for the right door. I've heard the chrome strips on the door panels are kind of hard to come by, but these are not in very good condition, unless they can be polished up.

Any info would be helpful,
Jeff

Rsellen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I know where it goes, but don’t know what it is or if I need it. Working in the engine compartment of my 74 ghia. I’ve seen photos of other engine compartments with some sort of electrical device mounted to the fire wall. (See photos) I was wondering what that device is? Is it the external voltage regulator? My current motor has a generator, but looking to put in an alternator. Do I need this thing in order to do it?

(Thanks to Redlabel 6 for letting me borrow this photo.
92 Passat
87 GTI
86 GTI
78 Rabbit
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

It's a diagnostic port for the dealership.

An early attempt at OBD connection.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
Rsellen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

That’s funny Laughing I guess I don’t need it then. Thanks....
NoDents wrote:
It's a diagnostic port for the dealership.

An early attempt at OBD connection.

92 Passat
87 GTI
86 GTI
78 Rabbit
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

When you remove it make sure no bare wire ends will cross or get grounded.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
Rsellen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

No worries, It was never there. No loose wires (that I know of). Who knows what the PO did with them.
92 Passat
87 GTI
86 GTI
78 Rabbit
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 37

Jump to: