Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64-67 only e brake cable clips??
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 64-67 only e brake cable clips?? Reply with quote

tnc19 wrote:
BarryL wrote:
It sure looks more correct now but you still need the clip Everett posted a picture of.

EverettB wrote:
For general reference, here's the e-brake clip on my '63 1-ton option Bus so they were used on those '63s too
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The clip he posted was welded to his backing plate. Which means if I understand what you are saying that my backing plate is not correct.
?

If you look at the pic I posted of that back side of the plate where the emergency cable enters the plate, his plate and my plate look different.

I have a bulbous housing that the cable slides into and seats into a rubber sleeve/dust sleeve on the cable. His entry from the back side looks different. Two different backing plates.

tnc19 wrote:

It's just that you show them on your white terry cloth towel in that pic.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 64-67 only e brake cable clips?? Reply with quote

I believe BarryL just meant you need to install the little C-shaped clip on the e-brake cable.

It's possible that the bolted-on clip was used before the modification to the backing plate like my Bus has?

My Bus is from July, 1963 so almost the end of 1963 production.
Maybe they made this change where the piece was welded to the backing plate after your Bus and before mine.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 64-67 only e brake cable clips?? Reply with quote

I did some more searching in the Gallery here and here's another M216 (1500cc/1-ton) '63 Bus rear brake assembly.
He has the same welded-on clip:

This doesn't help you but I wanted post more info.

What's the M-code production date of your Truck?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tnc19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 64-67 only e brake cable clips?? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I did some more searching in the Gallery here and here's another M216 (1500cc/1-ton) '63 Bus rear brake assembly.
He has the same welded-on clip:

This doesn't help you but I wanted post more info.

What's the M-code production date of your Truck?

You guys have been more than helpful. Should have taken a picture when I tore it down. Thanks to you guys and some social distancing time and motivation My 1963 DC is back on earth!!!!! After years of being in jacks in the backyard. Ashamed to say how long, but it’s been years!

Also, what you said about welded bracket on later 63s might make sense, my DC was made in January 63’.

ozinbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 64-67 only e brake cable clips?? Reply with quote

no matter how long you have been tinkering with VW's there's always something to learn. I have never seen this spring guide on a bus. Now I see the logic for it with the last pic.
swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: 64-67 only e brake cable clips?? Reply with quote

My 67 big nut rear brakes do not have a tab to hold the spring in place. On the pictures it looks like it is a big improvement for avoiding interference with the brake spring. Am I worried for nothing and this isn't an issue happening? My bus is still in restoration, so I don't have real life experience yet Smile.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 64-67 only e brake cable clips?? Reply with quote

There's nothing in this big nut rear brake photo so I don't think it's an issue:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: