Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thingaru
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Thingaru Reply with quote

obus wrote:
I'm enjoying your updates. Thanks and continued luck

Thanks obus.

Got some more testing done today after adding in hoses from the radiator bleed screw ports to the expansion tank.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This made it a little better overall but is terrible at idle after its completely warmed up. After a 'spirited' pull from a stop light the temp would skyrocket quickly if I coasted 'clutch in' to the next stop light. As I was driving I theorized that the bleed hoses may be allowing too much coolant to bypass the radiators and go straight to the expansion tank to be sucked back in to the water pump. Thinking it may be a pressure differential issue between the coolant in the tank and the coolant flowing through the radiators I held the idle around 1500-2000 while stopped at the next light. The temp spiked as I stopped without engine braking but holding the idle a little high caused the temp to go down pretty quickly. I ordered some check valves to keep the coolant from back flowing from the expansion tank to the radiators.

My next step will most likely be removing the louvers like on a 74. The aluminum scoops were just an experiment and they definitely work but I'm going to make some carbon ones like in Larry Greens article on modified wader boxes[url].
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Thingaru Reply with quote

Alright, I'm all in now. Broke down and cut out the louvers. It's nice now to have direct access to the outboard tanks on the radiators. I was able to do a better job at using speed tape to seal off the openings around the radiators.

This definitely helped some more but still not quite there. I took up the mountains to do some canyon carving and its still getting too hot. I experimented a bit with hose pinching pliers and pinched off one and/or the other of the bleed hoses I talked about in the last post. Can't say I could tell a difference, pinched or not pinched. I'll just wait for the check valves and give them a try.

A small oil leak from the aluminum oil pan has been bothering me for a while now so I took it off for some weld repairs. Not sure how this one passed QC.

This Ultra Grey RTV works really well. It took a lot of effort to remove the pan with a pry bar.

Tried doing some repairs on the gas gauge. The cardboard that holds the terminals bit the dust. I snipped off a piece of a PC board from from when the CNC router used to be a CNC plasma cutter. I had to solder the itty bitty wires back onto the studs and attach them to the PCB. Some research on the fuel gauge vibrator made me decide that the whole setup was going to be too janky so I just ordered a standalone VDO gauge. Here's a pic of the back of he gauge.
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Thingaru Reply with quote

Got that weld fixed on the oil pan today. I also moved the drain plug to the front side of the pan instead of sticking out the bottom. Afraid it protruded too much and was going to get damaged by road FOD. Its back on and doesn't seep oil anymore.

After I fixed the pan I drove it some more to see if that helped the cooling issue. Twisted Evil It didn't, so I got an 'Oreilly special' thermostat. I was blown away when they rang me up. Only $7.99 for the thermostat and another $1.99 for seal. Subaru wants around $50. People on NASIOC say the autoparts store thermostats are crap and to just buy the OEM. I'll give this one a try for $10. I'll try thermostat first but I think my next step will be to make the scoops bigger. Maybe make them a little taller vs wider.

The CV's have been cackling in corners since I put in the Subbie tranny. Stock 181 axles are 16.25". I measured 16-5/8" with the stub axle level with the tranny flange. Dude at Pacific Customs says it should be fine as long as the axle floats at full droop and doesn't bind. Neither were an issue so I've been driving it with stock axles since. The noise seems to be coming from the right axle so I removed it, cleaned the CV's and inspected. No issues noted with either CV joint but they did seem a little low on grease. Nothing makes any noise when its on jacks so I'm not sure where I'm going to look next. Only thing I noticed was one CV is a GKN and the other an original VW. Not sure if mix-n-match CV's would cause any cackling.

av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Thingaru Reply with quote

The $7.99 thermostat just about fixed the cooling. Drove it up the mountain again and still overheats under light load going up hill. It seems to cool well enough at highway speeds now and stays around 200. Another small problem that I have been forgetting to address is the intercooler. The fan is attached but I haven't wired it yet and I haven't devised another vent for it.

That being said, I think the scoops need to be a little bigger. This is the rendering from Fusion360. I'm going to make foam plugs and then fiberglass molds. The scoops will be carbon fiber (been waiting to use it for a long time).

Here is the progress so far for machining the foam. Still another hour or so to finish cutting.

av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Thingaru Reply with quote

Replaced the water pump this weekend. It was the least I could do since I've had the pump for a little while now. Didn't expect it to make a difference, and I don't think it did. Still not sure if the cast impeller is better or worse than the stamped impeller.

Finally made a tool to hold the crank so I could properly torque the crank pulley afterward.

95ft/lbs??! *CLICK* done..

Nut inserts on the left AND the right cam belt shrouds spun in the shroud. Had to rip off the left shroud. Guess I'll go without the shrouds now.

The right cams sit at the tippy top of the lobes when everything is set to Zero for removing the belt. Its incredibly difficult to get them to stay in place. Learned my lesson and made a cam holder this time.

I have a bunch jets from the DCOE on the turbo 1600 so I used some 160 Air Correction Jets to restrict the flow back to the expansion tank.

Since I had access with the pump off, I was able to properly weld up the unused ports and weld in the -8AN fitting.
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Thingaru Reply with quote

Thought I'd break up the posts a little. Got a couple of the carbon fiber scoops made. I thought the first design was a little too much for a Thing.

Drew them to look a little more like '74 vents.

Got this squeegy tip from work doing composite repairs. Need to figure out where to store the guest comforter and pillows now.

Some more layup stuff.

Came out OK. Mold didn't survive though.

Double sided 'carpet tape', that I sometimes use on the CNC, and 1/8" pop rivets hold the scoop on.

This carbon fiber stuff is fun. I think the radiator shrouds in the engine compartments may be carbon fiber in the future.
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Thingaru Reply with quote

Well I think I finally got the cooling issue hammered out. It looks like the high pressure air under the car was fighting tooth and nail with the air coming in through the scoops. I put lightning holes behind the license plate about a week ago but that didn't seem to help. I think I could have spaced the plate further off of the holes.

Today I took a run up the mountain without the deck lid installed. Voilą!!

If I run it hard and/or lug it, it will get hot but it takes a bit of effort to get it there.

I need to put a splitter in the right shroud to direct a little more air toward the intercooler. Intake temps keep climbing on the fwy.
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Thingaru Reply with quote

Turns out 80% of my cooling problem was my Ignition Map. I managed to find a screen shot of a user on Nasioc with the same engine as mine. I copied his ignition map and loaded it on my ECU. Ignition was too retarded by as much as 10° or more in many areas.

Amazingly, coolant temps are a little too low now. I may need to put the original thermostat back in. I already adjusted the fans to come on at 190° and they rarely come on now. This means I will need to separate the intercooler fan to come on by itself. Probably control it with the ECU and put the rad fans on thermostat switches.
Ark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Thingaru Reply with quote

Excellent work! That is great news to hear the map solved most of the issues.

Given the updated map, do you think you could have managed effective cooling without the scoops, the pressure relief holes in the decklid and without cutting the louvers?

I would like to swap a Subaru engine into my Thing but I'd like to keep it as stock looking as possible. I don't mind removing some sheet metal inside the engine compartment and trying to duct the radiator exhaust down under the engine compartment but I'd like to avoid exterior mods if at all possible.
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Thingaru Reply with quote

My thought is that the 74 vent change to muufs was not in vain. It has been explained to me that as the body is angled back at the scoops a negative pressure develops at about 60 mph. The intake on 74's is not affected tht way so they stay cooler.
In defence I have a 73 with a 2054cc miotor with a high performance cam and twin webers, probably gets over 100 HP. I do have an extermal full flow oil coiler, but I have been cruising at 80-85 for a long time on US101 and don't dee my oil temp go over 230. I have been told that ius just fine by the Brad Penn techs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Thingaru Reply with quote

I finally got it running perfectly. I had a misfire that would show up once the engine hot and heat soaked. Been troubleshooting for the oddest month or so. Spent a bunch of time and money in parts to finally fix it. In the end I used an oscilloscope to find that I hadn't grounded the#1 and #3 coils (both on the left, as viewed installed in the Thing). They were grounded to a convenient bolt hole in the valve cover. Mother f*ing valve cover is completely electrically nsulated from the engine! Not sure why it would only show up when the engine was fully heat soaked. I feel like an idiot for not realizing that when I was seeing everything up. On the other hand I'm proud of myself for figuring it out. Here is a picture of a properly working coil current waveform. The picture with my hand blocking the top half of the spike is what a bad current waveform looks like (imagine the line going straight across where my hand is blocking). The ECU sends voltage to the coil as shown by the ramp but since the secondary coil is essentially not connected, there is no back EMF to cause the current to continue to rise until the field is collapsed.

ARK - I'm pretty sure I could have gotten away without removing thr louvers. Maybe even without the lightening holes in the deck lid. Addy some point I'll try out without thr scoops but since thr louvers are gone, I need something to cover the holes.

I wouldn't hesitate to do the Subaru again.

There were allot of variables for engine placement and I had to guess at most of it. If I do it again I'd go straight removing the arched portion of the fwd firewall and the whole bottom shroud just like I did for this one.
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Thingaru Reply with quote

sam_w wrote:
My thought is that the 74 vent change to muufs was not in vain. It has been explained to me that as the body is angled back at the scoops a negative pressure develops at about 60 mph. The intake on 74's is not affected tht way so they stay cooler.
In defence I have a 73 with a 2054cc miotor with a high performance cam and twin webers, probably gets over 100 HP. I do have an extermal full flow oil coiler, but I have been cruising at 80-85 for a long time on US101 and don't dee my oil temp go over 230. I have been told that ius just fine by the Brad Penn techs.

Not sure exactly what the air does as it passes the body curve just aft of the door. Air tends to want to stay on the surface though, thats why NACA scoops work. They are recessed but since the air sticks to the surface it follows the surface right into the scoop. Vortex generators are another example. Put them on the roof to disrupt the air so it breaks loose from the surface and prevent the roof curvature from turning into a wing, causing lift on the car.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Thingaru Reply with quote

Love this build. Just stumbled across it , WOW! All custom just like my build. Very cool. Lots of similar stuff as me , well done ! Out of the box for sure.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Thingaru Reply with quote

Couple questions now Smile

What is this machined billet piece on the right of the block ?

And what brand etc of BOV ?

av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Thingaru Reply with quote

panel wrote:
Couple questions now Smile

What is this machined billet piece on the right of the block ?

And what brand etc of BOV ?

First one is the alternator bracket. The alternator is mounted on the other side in a normal Subaru. The alternator in Thingaru is mounted where the A/C compressor would be.

The BOV is Amazon Chinesium but has worked well since I put it in. Has a couple of thousand miles on it. Looks like you can get an 8 Pack now. LOL. Idiots. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078M7552N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Thingaru Reply with quote

Laughing Thanks !
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Thingaru Reply with quote

It's been a little while. I had a short the other day that blew the fuse for the coils. Had to quickly go from the fast lane to the right shoulder. After a couple fuses and jiggling the wires i got it to run and made it home. So now it's time to clean up the engine wiring a little.

Changed up the harness and wired a Deutsch cannon plug in.

Also changing up the fuse box wiring. Used to look like this.

Wiring up the fuse block

Using the convenient hole that the PO cut out for heater boxes to install the plug receptacle.

Piece of 3" tubing cut to match the profile and CNC'ed a piece of 16ga for the mount.

Need to take a carbide burr to clean up the weld.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Thingaru Reply with quote

Just came across this build thread, love it! Nicely done!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Thingaru Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:
Just came across this build thread, love it! Nicely done!

Thanks Ian.
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Thingaru Reply with quote

Fantastic work! I'm impressed with the cooling setup.

-sjhotz

74 Thing
72 Bay Window Westy TinTop
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: