Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solex pdsit on 1.6 type 1
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Solex pdsit on 1.6 type 1 Reply with quote

Hi, I have a pair of solex 34 pdsit carbs from a 2.0 CU type 4 engine and I'm looking to fit them on my 1.6 beetle.

Do they work well with the stock jetting? The 1.6 has stock cam and CR, but al lightened and balanced rotating assembly, polished heads and a 4-2 exhaust.

Will ict/epc manifolds fit those carbs? What linkage should I use? I prefer the centermount style for its look.

Thank you guys

Visit my workshop site and leave a like:

https://www.facebook.com/talleresalacreu/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex pdsit on 1.6 type 1 Reply with quote

You would be better of working with the manifolds and PDSIT carbs from a Type 3. It is a much more basic system that is relatively forgiving to advance curves and manifold vacuum signature. The ones used in the busses, worked pretty well when set up right, but they are more sensitive to the manifold vacuum around idle and the distributor advance curve. Being a more sophisticated design in comparison developed specifically for the bus engines, it isn’t very adaptable to other engines without a good deal of difficulty.

The PDSIT was used in other Type 4 engines though, and were basically a larger version of the Type 3 PDSIT carbs. Unfortunately, they were mostly used in European cars like the 412. That 1800 was fitted with 40mm PDSIT carbs with 30mm vents and made 85HP. There was also a 40mm with 28 vents that ran about 75hp with lower compression. The 1968 only type 4 had 34mm carbs, also basically an larger version of the style on the Type 3...but again, hardly any, if any at all, ever made it to the USA.

Honestly, I would pass on the PDSIT all together on an upright T1. Not worth the effort as there are much better options that are cheaper and more plug and play.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex pdsit on 1.6 type 1 Reply with quote

-edit- I was composing this response while vanapple posted his reply. I think his comments as to suitability are sensible.

What size are your 1600's intake valves? I thnk the 34 PDSITs could work reasonably well. Have you checked the venturi size on them? You can usually see the 2-digit number cast into the top of the venturi. You "ideally" want to have the venturi 3 to 5 mm smaller than the diameter of your intake valve.

I've never had an original 34 PDSIT in my hand. But I had a spare set of Type 3 32 PDSIT carbs which I modified for Type 1 use. Nearly all aftermarket dual carbs don't have an electric choke mechanism. For my spare 32's I removed the choke plate in the carb throat and sawed off the choke mechanism. One reason I bought those carbs cheaply was that the choke housing had a large chunk broken off, and the choke heating element was missing. Then I filled the holes for the choke shaft with gas tank epoxy.

Manifolds: Several years ago measured a few intake manifolds I had for single-port engines. This photo shows the bolt patterns. (left to right) Solex 32PDSIT (Type 3), Dell'Orto 34FRD (Type 1), Kadron (Solex/Brosol 40EIS).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The dimensions are-
Carburetor stud/hole spacing, approx. center to center:
PDSIT 2 3/8" (60 mm)
34FRD 2 11/16" (68 mm)
Kadron 2 7/8" (73 mm)

Carb flange hole diameter:
PDSIT 1 3/8" (35 mm)
34FRD 1 1/2" (38 mm)
Kadron 1 9/16" (40 mm)

In the past 3 years I also bought Weber 34 ICT manifolds (swap meet) and Solex 35 manifolds (CB Performance). I should revise my photo to include those, but here are the corresponding dimensions:
Carburetor stud/hole spacing, approx. center to center:
ICT: 62 mm
CB Solex: 60 mm

Carb flange hole diameter:
Both the ICT and the CB Solex have 38 mm.

Although I never got past the mock-up stage with the 32 PDSIT's, my linkage of choice would be the Gene Berg setup that uses the "down rods". A Scat center mount universal linkage could also work. If the 34 PDSITs have the same "mirror image" throttle lever movement like the 32's do, then you need to find a Type1-based center mount linkage that achieves that movement. Also need to make sure that the linkage rods will clear the top of the cylinder head tins, and be under the fan shroud fresh air outlets. That clearance is mostly dependant on the height of the intake manifold.

Do you have a set of used 34 PDSIT manifolds from a Type 2? If so, you could carefully cut off the carb mounting flanges, and weld them onto aftermarket Type 1 manifolds.
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex pdsit on 1.6 type 1 Reply with quote

My heads have 35'5x32 valves. I think the 34 pdsit have 27 or 28mm venturis. They were fitted to a 39x33 head (2.0 type 4)

The stock manifolds are made of steel, I can't weld them to an aftermarket manifold. Maybe the 34's have a slighty larger bolt spaci g than the 32's, I will measure it.

I think they could work well on my engine, budget dual carbs that will add a couple of hp.

I'm going to change the cam, install ported heads and dual drla's in the future, but now I want to try this

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Solex pdsit on 1.6 type 1 Reply with quote

Stock for a bus, and the 1968 411 was 26mm. If it’s a 27 or 28, it has been messed with. Look down the throat. The size is cast into the venturi.

FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Solex pdsit on 1.6 type 1 Reply with quote

32s and 34s have the same bolt pattern, it's the same carb body with different throttle sections.

Stock venturis for 1600 cc were 24mm.
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Solex pdsit on 1.6 type 1 Reply with quote

The carbs have 26mm venturis. I've seen thst cb sells 28mm venturis for solex carbs. Would they fit on the pdsit's? If they fit I should put 145 mains or so

The bolt spacing is 60mm and the holes are 9mm.

Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Solex pdsit on 1.6 type 1 Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Solex pdsit on 1.6 type 1 Reply with quote

The vents are unique to PDSIT carbs, so if they are advertised as such, they will swap in.

Your pictures do indeed show they are the bus specific version. Although they ran good on the low compression detuned version of the T4 in busses, I’m going to warn you and say you will have a heck of a time getting those set up correctly for anything other than a stock application. They can still run ok in the bus T4 with a bit more compression, and slightly more duration/lift (still a pretty mild cam), but beyond that, they fail to work as designed. A 1600 will be a royal pain. It will run, but not nearly as well is it could otherwise run.

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Solex pdsit on 1.6 type 1 Reply with quote

I agree. Don´t bother. If it was the earlier version - pre 75 (I think) they would have been reasonably easy to get to run right.
Also, the CB Solex venturi does not fit in the PDSIT The venturi from the 34 PDSIT is easily adaptable to fit in a type 3 32 mm Solex. Apart from a rejet and the carb getting a little more sensetive to a set of stacks that can actually work very well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Solex pdsit on 1.6 type 1 Reply with quote

So what do you think about these ones? Will suit better my application? I've seen them for sale for 125€

Would the 28mm cb venturis fit these carbs?

As Alstrup said, I will run them with tall velocity stacks

Thanks

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Solex pdsit on 1.6 type 1 Reply with quote

Yes, that is the model to use.
They like a 60-80 mm stack.

Something like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Flared-En...0753514687 and then enlarge it a little so that it slides down over the carb. One way to do it at least
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Solex pdsit on 1.6 type 1 Reply with quote

Yes, that set is much more adaptable than the factory carb. Should be able to make that one work well.

Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Solex pdsit on 1.6 type 1 Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'll get them

Where can I buy a set of manifolds and linkage for these carbs in Europe? And also the 28mm venturis

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Solex pdsit on 1.6 type 1 Reply with quote

I think I have what you need.
PM me if interested
Ohh, you most likely do not want 28 mm venturis on a 1600. Most of the time 26 works better.
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Solex pdsit on 1.6 type 1 Reply with quote

Just received manifolds and linkage, next will be carb rebuild/tune up

Thanks Alstrup for the parts and help!

Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Solex pdsit on 1.6 type 1 Reply with quote

Alstrup is a good dude and wont steer you wrong, enjoy that CSP linkage, it's no-nonsense, quality stuff Cool

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: