Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon & Westy Measurements/Dimensions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon & Westy Measurements/Dimensions Reply with quote

travis740 wrote:
Does anyone happen to know the height of a 1984 Camper? Wanting to know if it'll fit in my garage.

I can't seem to find an owner's manual online. Brand new at trying to figure this out. Thank you

If you have the van, just get a trusty spotter in position and get the van close so you can test. Van heights can vary by year, with early ones generally having taller springs and a taller overall height. But yours might not have a roof vent, thereby giving you a little extra space. What is the height of your garage door opening? Here's my stock-height '87 going under an 84" (7'0") header. Good luck!

Keep in mind that some alterations to the van (taller tires, different springs, etc.) might alter the van's height from stock, so any book measurement you find might not apply.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

travis740
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon & Westy Measurements/Dimensions Reply with quote

Thank you very much. I'm hoping to buy it tomorrow depending upon the weather. Feels like X-Mas eve for me. I have a 7 ft garage height and hoping I can keep it indoors. Hopefully, I'll find out tomorrow.

Thank you again very much.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon & Westy Measurements/Dimensions Reply with quote

travis740 wrote:
Thank you very much. I'm hoping to buy it tomorrow depending upon the weather. Feels like X-Mas eve for me. I have a 7 ft garage height and hoping I can keep it indoors. Hopefully, I'll find out tomorrow.

Take a wood yard stick (or something similar) and tape measure: Yard stick on the vent out to the van's side; keep it level and run the tape measure up to the bottom of yard stick. That's how I verified my '90 would fit, with room to spare. Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon & Westy Measurements/Dimensions Reply with quote

travis740 wrote:
I'm hoping to buy it tomorrow depending upon the weather. Feels like X-Mas eve for me. Hopefully, I'll find out tomorrow.

Come back with photos!!
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon & Westy Measurements/Dimensions Reply with quote

Yes! Photos! I got mine at thanksgiving and I got it a storage unit as I couldn't bear to let foot after foot of snow get on top of it all winter. Some pics of your height and fit with the garage would be great too.
Blupi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon & Westy Measurements/Dimensions Reply with quote

Hello! opening up an older thread which is very helpful!

I do have a question, i recently got an 81 vanagon full camper and the whole rear kick panel needs replacing. I have found the panel itself however i'm missing the sides. See my attached image, does anyone have the dims for this (or a part number so i can buy some)

any help is appreciated!
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon & Westy Measurements/Dimensions Reply with quote

Let's keep this thread going....

Does anyone have the dimensions for the FULL Weekender and/or Carat rear, fold down bed lengths?

Certain beds have different lengths depending on whether or not you are using the Carat or Weekender plastic side panels. For those switching out interiors this is very important information as Tintops with standard cardboard side panels have longer (wider) beds than Carats etc.

Here is a photo of some of the useful lengths that would help:

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon & Westy Measurements/Dimensions Reply with quote

From Go Westy on the Full Camper Zbed:
http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=24

1980-1991 Vanagon full camper
DOWNSTAIRS: 45” X 6’ 2”
UPSTAIRS: 47” X 6’ 0”

I can confirm that the Vanagon Weekender bed that fits between two plastic panels is 60":

rest of the full (weekender) bed dimensions are as follows:
Bottom seat 19.6 x 60
Seat back 17.25 x 60

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon & Westy Measurements/Dimensions Reply with quote

I have an on-going Syncro Tintop project that I am installing a Westy Weekender package in, researching the correct bed lengths I need to fit a functioning bed between the plastic panels...

My TT Syncro has a Rock N Roll bed in it, but is well over 60", so far sourcing an actual weekender bed has been difficult, I have however been able to find this bench seat which I am told is from an 84 wolfsburg edition; note the extended bench bottom here, with the narrow bed, did a Wolfsburg have fixed arm rests?

The picture above shows a stock weekender bed come in at 60" long, my new Wolfsburg comes in at 59"

I did not have someone to hold the tape for me, but it is close onto 59".

Other measurements:

I can confirm the bottom cushion at 19"+.....

Top Cushion height:

What's interesting about this bench seat is the lower Westy built bench seat box, clearly built for the cardboard side panels, lengths:

And bottom edge:

I'm going to see if I can build a lower bench seat with the stock Westy plastic panel, I think I need the sheet metal sides....otherwise the option is to cut this Wolfsburg bottom, I am reluctant to do that, I would rather keep it stock or pass it on to another.

FaceHook:
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon & Westy Measurements/Dimensions Reply with quote

The 1 year model tintop 84 Wolfy Weekender that seat is from had armrests mounted to the side panels at both ends. These were very similar to the right side full Westy rear armrest. That is a great seat for people wanting to add a bed as it has a lot of storage room under it.

Not sure what you wish it for but modifying it some to work for you isn't a crime. That one is hardly in pristine shape at this point.

Mark
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon & Westy Measurements/Dimensions Reply with quote

Does anybody happen to have the interior dimensions of the D pillar (tin top Vanagon) handy? I'm researching something and I don't have my van nearby to check a measurement.

Thanks in advance!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ironjenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon & Westy Measurements/Dimensions Reply with quote

I'm hoping to make a tool organizer similar to the Westy Bravo - the snap-on one with the pockets that goes on the back of the rear cabinets- and need dimensions. Our van is currently in the shop having some work done. Does anyone have the dimensions of that back panel? I can only find the actual storage cabinet dimensions here, and the width of the back panel. I need dimensions illustrated in the photo attached - if anyone can help would be greatly appreciated!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon & Westy Measurements/Dimensions Reply with quote

I walked out and measured on my 1980 camper.

9in wide at the top
13 1/4in wide at the crease
the crease is 17 3/4in from the bottom and 18 3/4in from the top.

9 1/4in wide to the little cut out
the cut out is 5.5in wide by 3.5in tall
the cabinet has an overall height of 36 3/4in following the face

measurements are approximates.. to the 1/4 in.

Ironjenn wrote:
I'm hoping to make a tool organizer similar to the Westy Bravo - the snap-on one with the pockets that goes on the back of the rear cabinets- and need dimensions. Our van is currently in the shop having some work done. Does anyone have the dimensions of that back panel? I can only find the actual storage cabinet dimensions here, and the width of the back panel. I need dimensions illustrated in the photo attached - if anyone can help would be greatly appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ironjenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon & Westy Measurements/Dimensions Reply with quote

Wow, thank you!!!!!!!! This is so helpful!!
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon & Westy Measurements/Dimensions Reply with quote

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon & Westy Measurements/Dimensions Reply with quote

how about adding a link to Curtain (westy & Weekender) dimensions thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=519259
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon & Westy Measurements/Dimensions Reply with quote

Anyone have the measurement from this location to the rear door lip? Trying to gauge where to start building that cabinet in reference to the rear door (or to the drivers seat box or something)

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon & Westy Measurements/Dimensions Reply with quote

Tin top seatback to front seat box is 67 inches.
Full Westfalia measure the same.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon & Westy Measurements/Dimensions Reply with quote

so i am trying to get a distance from the edge of the larger cabinet to another surface.. say, the cabinet to the drivers box or the back of the vehicle. Im attempting to find that centerpoint

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon & Westy Measurements/Dimensions Reply with quote

charleslabri wrote:
so i am trying to get a distance from the edge of the larger cabinet to another surface.. say, the cabinet to the drivers box or the back of the vehicle. Im attempting to find that centerpoint

This is the size of the kitchen unit. It butts right up against the drivers seat box.

Does that help?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: