Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV Boot warning, check your metal ear clamp & avoid boot failure
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: CV Boot warning, check your metal ear clamp & avoid boot failure Reply with quote

Hey everyone, just a heads up to check your CV boots before installing them (ours were Rockford boots but others might have the same issue) and be careful or you might poke a hole in the rubber.
The pinch part of the metal ear clamp that holds the boot to the ring was lined up with one of the CV bolt holes. It made it very hard to slide the bolt through and I ended up poking a hole in the boot itself by pinching the rubber between the CV bolt head and the raised part of the metal ear clamp.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I only noticed when I went back under the van to double check the torques and there was some fresh grease all over.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by T3TRIS on Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockford CV Boot warning! Reply with quote

i've had 2 that have had the clamp in a bad spot, out of a dozen sets now.
with care the clamp can be slid around, out of the way, it's not difficult.

619 201 0310
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockford CV Boot warning! Reply with quote

The threads of your bolt look a little worn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockford CV Boot warning! Reply with quote

Thanks for the Tip! I have new CVs and Rockford boots waiting for install and that's good to know. I likely would not have noticed either. Would've been some serious gluteal chapping going on...
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockford CV Boot warning! Reply with quote

It's a simple adjustment any competent mechanic could/should address during install. I don't think it's a Rockford-specific problem, but likely just an oversight that got through QA. Do we really need to call out a warning on a specific brand?
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockford CV Boot warning! Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
It's a simple adjustment any competent mechanic could/should address during install. I don't think it's a Rockford-specific problem, but likely just an oversight that got through QA. Do we really need to call out a warning on a specific brand?

Good point! I changed the title to make a little less specific.
As far as being a simple adjustment, I wouldn’t necessarily agree.
I’ve never been mechanically inclined but since we’ve owned the Vanagon, I’ve dropped a couple engines (the one in the van and one in my Subaru -unrelated), removed our transaxle and front diff and sent it out to get rebuilt, I’ve revamped the entire engine bay, learned how to fix rust and even weld a little (though it’s ugly), I’ve rebuilt our Syncro gas tank and replaced all fuel lines, I’ve reinstalled the whole darn thing back together adding gauges, redoing harnesses, cleaning things up, troubleshooting and fixing dozens of weird issues, I’ve replaced some bushings, a variety of boots, brakes, etc etc. I wouldn’t consider myself an accomplished mechanic but I think I’m probably more competent at this point than the average Vanagon owner. And it seems that the CV boot/joint deal is a right of passage in Vanagon ownership, something that much less experienced owners might tackle.
With that said, I completely missed that little metal ear clamp pinching potential! I won’t in the future, but I missed it nonetheless and it made a mess that could’ve been worse of course. I also COULDN’T twist that boot on the ring without tinkering with the clamp, and I tried. It was tight.
Also, that boot WAS installed by someone I’d consider a competent mechanic. Before I tinkered with all this, we had our rear joints replaced with 944 and I asked the mechanic to use the Rockford boots. He didn’t think twice and installed them without an issue. Maybe that’s where he was competent and I wasn’t.
I love the Rockford boot, I replaced ours with another Rockford boot! I’m also going to give them a call at some point to let them know. Maybe it’s not something they check for.
Anyhow, I hope this post can help others avoid that issue that I believe is easily missed.
- Transaxle rebuild, Mexico paint job, Front end rebuild, 320Ah LiFePO4 Battery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockford CV Boot warning! Reply with quote

old_man wrote:

Thanks for the note, these were new but I used another set regardless!
- Transaxle rebuild, Mexico paint job, Front end rebuild, 320Ah LiFePO4 Battery
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rockford CV Boot warning! Reply with quote

T3TRIS wrote:
old_man wrote:

Thanks for the note, these were new but I used another set regardless!

I could be wrong of the picture could be showing something that is not there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: CV Boot warning, check your metal ear clamp & avoid boot failure Reply with quote

Interesting find!

So many little things one never gives a second thought about.

I never did fir sure.

In my book this is a light bulb "who woulda thunk" moment!

Thanks!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: