Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

I never had any problems following Libby's advice.

So here is what I ordered (for now). Can't beat the price - this includes shipping to CZ. (in 30-50 days).

36 psc of the red ones, and 36 psc of, I hope, the fiber reinforced ones. (?)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

The Dremel is hands down my most favorite tool. Just finished using it an hour ago to cut down some SST bolts to shorter length. That was using the red disks too mainly just to use them up. The fiber disks are by far better, but I've had good luck with the "red". They do wear out fast. If you can support your wrist to cut an even line without moving side to side you can have luck without breaking a disk. It helps to not try to cut by pushing into one side, but rather to cut the line you
I've had such good luck that I've never bought any of the Diamond blades because I just have brain fart against proprietary things your forced to buy if you have the only tool that uses them.

The small rotary ball head file works really well to flatten down a broken bolt you want to drill out to try an "Easy-Out" on.
I also use it to create a dimple in the center of the bolt so the drill bit starts without walking off center.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
I never had any problems following Libby's advice.

So here is what I ordered (for now). Can't beat the price - this includes shipping to CZ. (in 30-50 days).

36 psc of the red ones, and 36 psc of, I hope, the fiber reinforced ones. (?)

I am not sure that the bottom ones are fiber-reinforced. There are black ones that are not fiber reinforced and are much weaker. They are stronger than the red but still quite brittle.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:
0cean wrote:

2nd on this tool... the screw-on disks will spin and loose cutting ability.

If that happens it is simply due to operator error. Never happens to me.

You are probably counted among the few.
If it was not a problem, the new design would still be on the drawing board and not in the stores.

Dave

djkeev, I'm not sure that logic is sound. It seems to me the 'new design' is simply a quick change gimmick to increase the profits and make individuals rely on the proprietary design as opposed to purchasing consumables that are 1/30th of the cost.

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I have never experienced the discs spinning on the screw either.

There is no need to be aggressive in tightening the screw on the discs. The rotation of the tool and the direction of the screw threads are oriented so that the resistance of the disc as it is cutting, tightens the screw.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

I suspect the spinning issue is with cheap knock-off arbors, and not a quality Dremel product.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I have never experienced the discs spinning on the screw either.

There is no need to be aggressive in tightening the screw on the discs. The rotation of the tool and the direction of the screw threads are oriented so that the resistance of the disc as it is cutting, tightens the screw.[/quote]

From my experiance, the scew hold is not enough when cutting steal and the extra hold of the metal reinforcment is needed. The cutting wheel stop s as the shaft spins. Neither is a good long lasting tool, yet one is worth the extra cost.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

As with many areas of life, do what is best for you.

I like the uber super duper proprietary lock on disc,
you like the generic thread on type.

You're not wrong and neither am I.

I won't criticize your choice, you don't criticize mine.... deal?

We're offering options and sharing experiences with each other.
Amazingly the Sun will still come up tomorrow.

Considering the subject matter, as amazing as it seems, I've already cleaned this thread up once.
I have no desire to do it again over something as inane as a fiber cut off disc.

EDIT: 2nd edit done by another moderator! Who knew Dremel was so controversial!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

I have been using the screw style for more than 20 years on automotive projects. I have used the discs for cutting steel, aluminum, stainless, and multiple types of cast iron. I've used them on exhaust bolts, cutting sheet metal, cutting thicker steel up to 3/8" thick, cleaning up welds, etc, etc...

I cut those louvers using only the screw-type fiber reinforced wheels:

I've used both Dremel brand and aftermarket arbors and discs and having the disc spin on the arbor has not been a problem. The issue that others speak of is a mystery to me. I even purchased and used the EZ-lock as well, but came to the conclusion they were not even close as good of a value back when I was purchasing the Dremel 25 packs of the screw style. When installing the disc I usually don't even use a tool for tightening the screw, I just insert the screw into the disc, start the screw into the arbor and hold the disc with one hand while I rotate the shaft with the other hand to tighten the screw. I'll happily pay myself $150+* per hour for the job of changing fiber discs.

I'm going to move on from this discussion as it is irrelevant to me what discs someone else uses. EPowell asked for opinions and I was happy to share mine but I have better things to do with my time than argue with anyone on the internet about what is a better value, when the only potential benefit is that I might save them a few dollars.

Carry on and good luck to all with their projects.

*I arrived at that figure assuming that the screw type discs require 15 seconds to change and that the EZ-lock can be changed instantaneously (not true but giving the benefit of the doubt). I also assumed that the EZ-lock discs last 4X as long as the generic screw style which I also feel is overly generous on the side of the EZ-lock.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Considering the subject matter, as amazing as it seems, I've already cleaned this thread up once.
I have no desire to do it again over something as inane as a fiber cut off disc.

Dave

I never said that you were wrong in your choice. I offered an educated opinion about what I have found to be a better value because that is what epowell asked for. I couldn't care less what cutoff wheels you or anyone else uses. When someone says something and my experience has shown the opposite, I don't mind voicing my opinion in a clear and respectful manner, as I have done throughout each of my comments in this thread. Everyone can benefit from that type of discussion. That is what these forums are for. If you or anyone else take offense at that, then you might want to adjust your view.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

I never said that you were wrong in your choice. I offered an educated opinion about what I have found to be a better value because that is what epowell asked for. I couldn't care less what cutoff wheels you or anyone else uses. When someone says something and my experience has shown the opposite, I don't mind voicing my opinion in a clear and respectful manner, as I have done throughout each of my comments in this thread. Everyone can benefit from that type of discussion. That is what these forums are for. If you or anyone else take offense at that, then you might want to adjust your view.

Why so defensive? names were never mentioned. 🤷‍♂️

Just a general comment.......

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Is there any other 'you' in this thread that you might be talking to? You didn't name any names, but your post was quite clearly directed at me as I seem to be the main proponent for the 'thread on type'. In being directed at me it seemed remarkably off point.

If you had not intended to direct your comment at me, then you should have used better wording, e.g. "some people like the uper expensive proprietary disc, some people like the thread on... everyone, try to be civil and respectful, etc..."
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

Just goes to prove the validity of what a wise man once told me:
"There isn't a project in the world that can't be screwed up with a Dremel"
Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

All I'm saying is please stopping fighting over dremel abrasive discs.

Posts have been removed that maybe you never saw..... relax.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
0cean wrote:

2nd on this tool... the screw-on disks will spin and loose cutting ability.

If that happens it is simply due to operator error. Never happens to me.

Ditto here (raises hand) ...

Maybe the Dremel is plugged in the wrong way, and it's rotating backwards? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

I would mention one other consideration. Although I have not had an issue with the discs spinning on the arbor, and with proper assembly of arbor/disc and appropriate use of the tool, I'm not sure how that is possible. But if you are doing assembly correctly and operating the tool in a manner that causes the disc to spin on the arbor, then if it did not spin then the rpms would drop significantly and you would burn out the motor very quickly. Although I have not been in that situation, if I was then I would feel better about ruining a $0.10 disc or an arbor rather than paying for the $3 discs in order to ruin the machine.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
I would mention one other consideration. Although I have not had an issue with the discs spinning on the arbor, and with proper assembly of arbor/disc and appropriate use of the tool, I'm not sure how that is possible. But if you are doing assembly correctly and operating the tool in a manner that causes the disc to spin on the arbor, then if it did not spin then the rpms would drop significantly and you would burn out the motor very quickly. Although I have not been in that situation, if I was then I would feel better about ruining a $0.10 disc or an arbor rather than paying for the $3 discs in order to ruin the machine.

There's one other important consideration - size. When I was clearancing my block for the oil return, the much larger EZ-loc disks were the perfect diameter to make a smooth crescent shaped relief. Couldn't have done that with the 24mm discs. And you can cut much deeper. OTOH, you can cut much finer, and thinner lines with the small discs. I use them both all the time, and pick whichever suits my current task the best.

Now, I just wish they'd make a bit larger and more durable wire brush attachment!!
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

Isn't that always a consideration? Wink
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

The red disks caused Covid. They tried to get the new ones in time but Dremel was too late.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

Those are good looking louvers. Patience and skill = good results.

?Waldo? wrote:

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
I have been using the screw style for more than 20 years on automotive projects. I have used the discs for cutting steel, aluminum, stainless, and multiple types of cast iron. I've used them on exhaust bolts, cutting sheet metal, cutting thicker steel up to 3/8" thick, cleaning up welds, etc, etc...

Do you have a build thread? Interesting bus already.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: