Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

pechaaa wrote:
I'm also woundering:

If I can leave conrod on piston and just rotate it (but piston backwards)?
I assume there are no diference on conrod position (one side or another- until one is attached to crank and other side to piston.

Might still change pistons- but this came up in my mind.

You are correct, there is no need to take the pistons off the rods. Just unbolt the rods, modify the pistons, and bolt them back on backwards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pechaaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Another wondering- can we modify oil pump inside?
I mean- to leave chain driven part as it is....

As I might go 300+hp, my only concern are rods and oil pump...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nealglobalauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Andrew this is amazing, still cant believe you did this. How does the engine react to mods, aftermarket tunes etc?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

nealglobalauto wrote:
Andrew this is amazing, still cant believe you did this. How does the engine react to mods, aftermarket tunes etc?

Thanks Neal- Seems to respond the same way it would if the engine turns the normal direction. I have run them with tunes in excess of 15lbs. You do lose some driveability with a tune like that, it kinda makes the gas pedal too sensitive where a small accidental tap of the gas pedal makes the thing jump. The stock tunes give the best feel but less power. The mild tunes still maintain a pretty good feel with a nice increase in power.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raxon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Thank you Andrey for the full information provided on the alteration of the engine rotation in the opposite direction, honor and praise to you for such an act, I myself am from Russia, and even thought that you, too, come from our country too, because the ability to think so unconventionally resembles our compatriots, we have there are few such machines, so no one is moving in this direction, but still there are those who dream of doing it, I will try to start the engine in the opposite direction, and then I will share it just like you with people from Russia, and I will definitely tell them what you came up with
ruudjeeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

hi, how did you make it with the shift rods so that the pattern stays the same ? I haven't been able to figure that out yet.
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing, I've been in a similar conundrum that led you to do this. I will be building one next week out of an aeb I have.

What I would really like to do however is reverse the 07K 2.5 20v found in 2006+ Jetta/Golf etc. It seems the same procedures would work, and may be easier since they use a water pump driven from the serpentine belt. I have 5 of them sitting, they are a dime a dozen, produce 180HP NA, and are stupid reliable. They use a chain drive timing system, so that may be the only big pitfall.

Any thoughts?

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rallyedude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

So , I can't believe I only find out about this thread today. I've read the original thread but never this cleaned up concise explanation on the 06A block 1.8t. I had the great pleasure of meeting Andrew some years ago on my way to check out Smyth ute's at the original Wareham location. ( Subsequently bought and built and sold 😭 both ) .

So, all this to say in no way do I doubt that it works . Andrew's thinking out of the box way is fascinating. Though I am wondering how those idlers ( oil pump , 2 timing belt ) are holding up. And how many kms on them . Or miles ?

In this day and age I'd think a run of slip over press on gears would be possible in a small run . I do understand that cost is the issue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vagmax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

The starter revers engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

xoo00oox wrote:
how to correct the starter......

The stater is pretty easy to do, you basically just need to swap the aluminum mounting housing from one starter to another. You will need the housing from the stock 1.8t Passat/Audi A4 starter, manual and automatic use the same starter part number SR0497. You will need the motor from a MK3 VW with an ABA 2.0 number SR0402.

here's the two starters...

you need to take this ring and collar off and get rid of them..

Here is what it looks like when you're done...

You will need to space it away from the flywheel .200", just use two washers as a spacer on each mounting bolt.

Vagmax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: