Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 448, 449, 450 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

bobby jay wrote:
Unplugged voltage regulator. Light stay on. Grrrr.

Ooohh, somebody is touching someone they're not supposed to Shocked

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

On late bay luggage racks there are 4 drain holes, one in each corner. Are these supposed to be open, or is there some type of plug that should be in there?

I feel like the answer is no, but I've always wondered. My gallery search was inconclusive.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

They are drain holes, meant to drain water, leave them open or you will have a mini swimming pool up there.
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Slip356 wrote:
They are drain holes, meant to drain water, leave them open or you will have a mini swimming pool up there.

I'll cancel my plans of a mobile bird bath then Smile
DrKamikazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
DrKamikazi wrote:
I am currently wiring up our new gauges for our new engine, the bus fuse box is full, but someone installed a secondary fuse box at some point. The fuse box has nothing on it and just had a short red wire that went through a hole in the floor to nothing. Ive since removed that wire and am wanting to run a wire from the 50 post on the starter to the secondary fuse box to provide keyed 12v power to all my gauges. Do I have this right or am I missing something?

How many gauges are you talking?? Your idea will require an inline fuse to cover the size wire you plan on running, and the main wire will need a grommet anywhere it passes through sheet metal.

If you don't plan on adding any more accessories, use fuse 11 on a '71 bus instead of aftermarket toys. This is for the wipers only, which don't need a 16-amp fuse. (VW even used an 8-amp fuse for the wipers until '71.) Since fuse 11 is an "X-Terminal" wire, it is hot only when the key is on, and disconnected when the starter motor is cranking. Perfect for accessories like gauges.

I like to use these splitter terminals to add components, so I don't have to hack the factory wiring. (Buy them at your local FLAPS!)

https://www.newark.com/molex/19043-0010/quick-disc...Connectors

If you want to add a 12v socket for phone charging, use fuse 7, as it remains on all the time. Modern 12v USB chargers are available with built-in voltmeters, eliminating the need for an external dash voltmeter gauge if you have lots of accessories like I do.

Remember to disconnect the battery while doing any electrical work, and don't hesitate to ask questions!
Robbie

Another question on this topic. Could I instead of running a wire all the way from the starter up to the secondary fuse box, just run a wire with an inline fuse from the 11 terminal over to the secondary fuse box?
bobby jay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

So, I tried and tried to track down the open circuit that was draining my battery . . . . and it just stopped. Charging fine. No battery light. What the heck?
Salders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Almost everything is back together from my '77 Westfalia engine install and I have some spare parts that look kinda important.

Where did it come from? Where does it go?
Where did it come from? I don't know!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The bottom one in the last pic is your alternator inspection cover. Easily replaceable and easy to access.
nebe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Stupid question. My engine has been sitting for 13 years and the valve cover gaskets were leaking a bit so I just replaced them. I was surprised to find this so clean. It appears to me that no much oil has ever sloshed around in there... what gives?? Engine is a 1600 dual port bus engine with about 4,000 miles on it.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Looks like a fresh engine from here, 4K miles is not enough time to build up any scum.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
nebe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Looks like a fresh engine from here, 4K miles is not enough time to build up any scum.

Ah ok. False alarm I guess. Thanks Bussdaddy
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The "AUTOMATIC" script I have on the 74 is the kind without posts to mount it. It was stuck on with adhesive tape or glue originally.

I have used two-sided tape on it since I put it on in Seattle with great results. But San Diego sun is kicking its ass and I need to go to something better.

I don't want to get the earlier badge with posts - does anyone know of a proper glue or tape that can adhere to the paint and defy the elements?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
The "AUTOMATIC" script I have on the 74 is the kind without posts to mount it. It was stuck on with adhesive tape or glue originally.

I have used two-sided tape on it since I put it on in Seattle with great results. But San Diego sun is kicking its ass and I need to go to something better.

I don't want to get the earlier badge with posts - does anyone know of a proper glue or tape that can adhere to the paint and defy the elements?

3M emblem mounting tape. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
nebe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I just used this with great results. You can find it on amazon

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

nebe wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Ah ok. False alarm I guess. Thanks Bussdaddy

Modern multigrade dino oils shouldn't leave much in the way of varnish inside the engine, and if you choose to run either a straight 30wt in the summer or a synthetic year around you will get very little buildup at all.

This is the head off my Type 4 engine in a bus with close to 250K miles on it. Between using 30wt in the summer or 5w40 year around it has experienced pretty much zero varnish buildup.

In contrast this is Type 4 car engine that had probably mainly seen SD-SG multigrades.

nebe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks wildthings.

I believe Castro GTX is the only oil that has been run through it.
Baybeeblu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My head hurts. First time poster new member etc.

I have several stupid questions to ask if you guys could help. I tried to search for some of these but I keep getting side tracked, have ADHD, and need to go to decaf.

I am fairly mechanical, but haven't touched a vw in 30 years. My first car ever was a 67 Baja with 1776, big valved head, cam, and a stinger. This was in the late 80s when there were tons of old muscle cars that I blew the doors off of (well from 0-40 anyways). I pretty much got out of VWs after high school.

My father in law passed last year and left my wife his 1973 bus. He was the ORIGNAL owner and it has -80K original miles. Virtually no rust. In very good shape (sorry it's not for sale).

Stupid question #1
What is the difference between a Kombi and a transporter? This is not a camper.

SQ #2
A 73 would have a 1700cc engine, correct?

SQ#3
Is there anything major that is particular to 73s? I saw that the smog assembly was unique to this year? Anything else?

Thanks for any help.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

A Kombi is a heavy duty Plain Jane version of a Transporter, verses a Station Wagon.

There are not great differences between the long blocks of the three stock engine sizes that make one strongly preferable over the others. Yes the 1700 was stock for '73 model year.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Welcome!
Sorry to hear about your Father in law.
Baybeeblu wrote:
Stupid question #1
What is the difference between a Kombi and a transporter? This is not a camper.

Kombi, transporter, microbus, type2a are terms that get mashed into many categories. VW called their base model cargo van with windows a Kombi, no upholstery and seats are optional, transporter is often used for trucks but the lines blur there too. In North America the Microbus (fully upholstered and all seats) was called a Station wagon, confused yet?
Quote:
SQ #2
A 73 would have a 1700cc engine, correct?

If it was built for the North American market then yes, but things get swapped so the code on the case and some other clues might narrow it down.
SQ#3
Quote:
Is there anything major that is particular to 73s? I saw that the smog assembly was unique to this year? Anything else?

Not really, newer style nose and front signals, smog pump and EGR (also found on some 74's), signal switch, fuel gauge sender, headrests, engine hatch in cabin and a bunch of tiny things.

Start a build thread and introduce yourself, post lots of pictures too. (hosted in the Samba gallery please)

Слава Україні!
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

To make it even more confusing, some states list Kombi on the title/registration no matter what kind of bus it is.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 448, 449, 450 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 449 of 515

Jump to: