Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VWs preserving history
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

It’s gonna be harder to tear down Stone Mountain outside Atlanta. We used to go there drink beer on Friday nights and watch laser light show. Took decades to build.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Mountain
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Here’s the rest of the pics of the Robert E Lee monument...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And a block or so away, also on Monument Avenue, the JEB Stuart monument.

The Thomas Jefferson monument was toppled by rioters just days before, I did not search for it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

What a shame, those are fantastic works of art regardless of the subject matter, it's unfortunate that some think they can stick their fingers in their ears, close their eyes and just la la la away a big part of history only because it clashes with the current trend.
Thanks for capturing them for posterity while you could, I love this thread, your part of the country looks incredibly interesting and beautiful.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

My view is that they should be placed in some sort of outdoor museum together, not in the town square, so there is no implication that the ideas behind them are represented by the current government.

They should used as a teaching opportunity. I agree that the present government should not glorify them. It is intimidating to many in a way most of us cannot fathom.

But to erase history is to prevent learning from it, and invite repetition.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Confederate Powder Works chimney - work began on in it in 1862 to produce gunpowder. When completed, the powder works lined the banks of the Augusta Canal for two miles. Durning its lifetime, it produced up to 7000 pounds per day. The federal government confiscated the powder works and sold it between 1868 and 1871. By 1872 most of the buildings were deemed useless and demolished. The smokestack was the only thing left standing as a memorial.

A group of business men bought the site and built the Sibley Mill between 1880 and 1882. It became of the largest and most successful cotton mills until 2006. Although no longer used for textile production, the mill's water driven turbines generate electricity which is sold to Georgia Power.

Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Sweet! Great pics.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Built in 1797 by a prominent tobacco merchant, this house is an outstanding example of late 18th-century architecture. It was originally part of Harrisburg, a town that competed with Augusta for the trade of area tobacco planters.Said to be "... the finest eighteenth-century house surviving in Georgia..." by The Smithsonian Guide to Historic America
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Rock House, built 1785, is the oldest stone residence in Georgia. With ties to former President Jimmy Carter (ancestor), and several ghost sightings.

Thomas Ansley (1737-1809) was born in New Jersey, and later migrated to the Quaker Community of Wrightsboro. The Rock House and a cemetery down the road are all that remain of this Quaker Settlement.

Ansley received land grants of 2,400 acres after the Revolutionary War, and set about building Rock House in 1785. The fieldstone walls are 2 feet thick. The house was continuously occupied until around 1950. Once the house was abandoned, vandals did a lot of damage to the house. A Quaker Foundation was formed in the 1960s and set about repairing and restoring the house. A fence was added around the property to help deter vandals (though there are still problems with vandals to this day).
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Sept 18, 1957 - the Three Faces of Eve premiered at the Miller Theater here in Augusta, Ga. The only thing missing were the main stars - Joanna Woodward, Lee J. Cobb and David Wayne.

The location began as the King Building - a funeral home and furniture store in 1869. In 1938 architect Roy Benjamin was hired to design the Miller theater. Opening in 1940, it was the second largest theater in Georgia. It closed in 1984, falling into disrepair and was renovated for preservation in 2005. In 2011, Symphony Orchestra Augusta accepts it as a gift and fundraising efforts began for renovation. 2016 renovation construction began. It reopened in 2018.

Since it's reopening we have had all sorts of events including George Thorogood, Kansas, Three Dog Night, Moscow Ballet's Nutcracker, Ron White, Bing Crosby Christmas and alot of other musicals, plays, acts, etc.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Nice! Thanks Bigdog.

No info on it but here’s another old abandoned 1920s-ish gas station that I found.

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Nice! Thanks Bigdog.

No info on it but here’s another old abandoned 1920s-ish gas station that I found.

That is a fantastic photo! I could easily see Ghia fans paying up a few bucks for a poster of that to hang up in the ol workshop.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Cool photo!

As an aside, I I never saw the movie The Three Faces of Eve and I was wondering if any of you Old-Timers on here saw it?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

A fine photo, TDC!
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Construction began on the Engine Company No. 7 building in 1913 and work was completed in 1914 at a cost of $12,599 and placed in commission May 1, 1915. Old Engine Company No. 7 was the first fire station in Augusta to house motorized fire trucks, including a Seagrave Motor triple pump and a Seagrave Motor combination hook and ladder truck, as reported in the 1914 City of Augusta yearbook. The crew of Engine Company No. 7 moved out in 2003 after a 70 year occupation and the building has been largely vacant since, with occasional usage for firefighter training and storage.

Property is vacant and no permanent use has been determined. Funding for ongoing maintenance is not guaranteed.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Built in 1835, the Medical College of Georgia is the third oldest medical college in the Southeast. In 1913, the school moved to another location. Since then, it has held classes for a high school, has been used by civic and social organizations, housed a USO canteen during WWII and has been preserved and used by the Augusta Council of Garden Clubs.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Sacred Heart Culture Center, formally known as Sacred Heart Catholic Church.
It was built by Jesuit priests and its first service was on December 2, 1900. The church had been in Augusta for 70 years, until it closed in 1971 due to modern suburban advancements. While the building was vacant, it endured much vandalism and was near destruction.

In 1987, the Knox Foundation renovated the building and opened as a vibrant center of the city for cultural events.

Events
The Sacred Heart Cultural Center hosts special events such as wine festivals, choral concerts, Christmas events, and an annual garden festival. Artwork is exhibited on a regular basis in the Art Gallery.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

This was my Grandmothers house, where my Mom grew up, Totowa Boro N.J., the house was built in 1706, and used as quaters for a officer in the Revolutioary War.
I remember sitting on those steps with my Grandfather in 1963-'64.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

The Academy of Richmond County (where I graduated high school from) formerly known as Richmond County Military Academy. It was chartered in 1783 making it the 5th oldest existing high school in the United States. George Washington delivered the commencement address at the graduation ceremonies in 1791. Initially as an all male private school, it became coeducational in the 1950s and admitted female students. It became desegregated in 1964.

The original structure was wooden and is long gone. The school moved to this building in 1857.

The school moved once again to its present location in 1926.

The football stadium was built in 1930 and there is talk of tearing it down.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Here is Riley Hill school, a "coloreds only" school that was built using contributions from the Rosenwald fund, in Wendell NC built in 1928 & closed in 1970. I have watched this building degrade over the past ten years due to vandalism & lack of maintenance. It has been condemned as of August 2017.

This historic school was destroyed by fire yesterday.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 20

Jump to: