Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vent window swoosh removal
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:06 am    Post subject: Vent window swoosh removal Reply with quote

I need this swoosh for my other vent window, how do I remove it easily? Do I need to take the glass out of the frame?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window swoosh removal Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Do I need to take the glass out of the frame?

Yes.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window swoosh removal Reply with quote

Hi Linda,

You'll almost certainly need to remove the glass from the vent window frame first. The "swoosh" isn't welded in, I think it is just set into place, perhaps with a little lite film of adhesive before you crush the glass and new seal back into place. Once the glass is out it should pop off easily.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window swoosh removal Reply with quote

Here is a pretty involved description of the vent window (and "swoosh" install) and cab door window assembly from my build thread on my '59 DC.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=680

This will be a good job to get behind you soon! Just take your time, no rushing. Don't scratch up your paint.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window swoosh removal Reply with quote

Thanks Bill although I have scratched the frames up already over the winter vent seal install (but feels great to install the seals) and after this experience I will never paint again, my other 3 classics are patina car/trucks and I have learned my lesson well. I don't know how you live with any new paint restoration and enjoy it without scratching although I appreciate what you have done. I'll need to build a jig/fixture for my vent window repair and do it right. Glad I have 4 frames/vent windows to experiment on.

What are the 2 holes on your swoosh for?

BulliBill wrote:
Here is a pretty involved description of the vent window (and "swoosh" install) and cab door window assembly from my build thread on my '59 DC.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=680

This will be a good job to get behind you soon! Just take your time, no rushing. Don't scratch up your paint.

Bill

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window swoosh removal Reply with quote

Those two hole serve no apparent function in terms of attachment. They might be used in production to place and hold while being stamped?

I simply used a very thin smear of 3M clear seam sealer only applied with my finger onto the surface of the "swoosh" that touched the inner surface of the "U" channel of the vent frame to temporarily hold it in place while I used the wooden press to crush the window glass with rubber seal into place, which then held it all together.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: