Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 535, 536, 537 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally solved the bike rack problem by piecing together our FRANKENFIAMMA. Bought this rack used from a Samba member but needed a third rail and a way to attach small kids' bikes. I wanted to avoid buying Fiamma's overpriced extra rail and bike block-4, which we would have needed to reach a kid's 14-inch bike in the third position (and we weren't completely sure it would reach and certain outlets that sell Fiamma don't make returns easy, so anyway...).

I tried to find an alternative to the rail at the hardware store, even tried a $3 fencepost but it didn't work. So I ended up buying a cheap cartop bike rack just for the rail (yes, the whole rack cost less than Fiamma's extra rail) and who knows, the cartop rack could come in handy some day. Then I found this multi-use bike arm on Amazon, which turned out to be perfect to reach the 14-inch bike in the third position. So it's the original bike-block 1 for the adult bike in the first position, original bike-block 3 for the child's 16-inch bike in the second position, and the bar from Amazon to reach the 14-inch kids' bike in the third position. Finally, I was looking around for some very thin rubber to glue to the clamps to protect the van's paint, when we had a bicycle tube that needed changing, and voila, the rubber from the old bike tube was just what the doctor ordered for this purpose. Altogether not quite as cheap as I had hoped but saved a lot compared to ordering Fiamma parts.

Cheap cartop rack we bought just for the wheel tray: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SL1AEG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Multi-purpose bike arm:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KW5GWN4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

This one is embarrassing. After several years of ownership I finally investigated my suspiciously short accelerator pedal travel. Found it was only going about 40% of the way open. BOOM! Instant HP upgrade. It was always stronger than the wbx vans I’ve driven but now it kinda hauls, sweet!
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I think that's something everyone should check. Get a helper to push the pedal down and verify you hear two clicks at the throttle body. One after opening the closed throttle and one at wide open throttle.
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Well, yesterday.

The Westy was due an alignment. After replacing the two front tires, one punctured pulling out of a ditch outside Jerome, AZ, the other from grinding the opposite tire down to the steel belts after 600 miles on the 1" smaller rim spare, I thought I might teach myself how. Then, while I got the new tires mounted and balanced, I talked to the Service guy at my local Pep Boys. He said their machine had my '88 Westy's specs already loaded, cost for the 4-wheel 3-year alignment was $134. I had a 15%-off coupon; pulled the trigger.

Talked to the Service guy afterward; sounded like he had his head around it. Took a 50-mile test drive after. Total satisfaction. Whew!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Added additional tail lights to the back of the bike rack as the bike wheels block the tail lights when loaded. I use a Kuat NV bike rack and paired it with the 1UP optional accessory license plate holder, which swivels 90 degrees to accommodate and up or down position. The light bar swivels to keep the tail lights pointed rearwards when the rack is either loaded or unloaded.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wyomingresident
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Put in a new fuel pressure regulator.

I thpugh it would solve the hesitation I get after driving 30 or so minutes.... It did not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RadarPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I had the driver's side power window regulator goof up, so I had ordered two so they would both be new. Installed and working.

Got 2 new ABS door panels from GW. Cut the holes for new window switches.

The driver's side power window switch was literally held on with baling wire and tape. I ordered a new set of universal switches on ebay.

My front fan wouldn't work, so after some research I figured it was either seized bearings or bad resistor. I figured if I was getting in there and taking the dash out, I would get new of both just in case. Installed both. After getting everything put back together I tested the fan before the dash went back on. No go. I confirmed voltage. I then popped off the switch and checked continuity. Nothing.
I put the + lead to each individual lead on the socket. It runs like a charm. I then decided to test the old. Oops. It runs fine. All that because I didn't check a $8 switch. But on the bright side, I do have a spare now.

Installed the power door lock/keyless entry from the FAQ. It works great. I even have the lights blink and the LED flash on my instrument cluster when locked.

Next task is converting the AC. I may just take it to a shop for that.

Last edited by RadarPDX on Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got my headlight relays done, put in 80/100 bulbs (and new fuses), replaced failing ignition switch. Then spent 3 hours on a window. Still a long way to go, and I want it in before Saturday morning! Time to CAMP!!!!!

-bobby
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Three words: water pump; sonofabitch.

Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Drove it for the first time!!!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

ProspectiveOwnergon wrote:
Drove it for the first time!!!

Now get back to work.
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

New battery...T5 Everstart Maxx. Fits great and gives me a little bit more room in the battery compartment.

1969 Bucky the Bug Convertible...red, rusted, work in progress....LOTS of work.
175grams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

1. FINALLY found the right clips to work with my new 1/8" plywood sliding door panel. Got it installed and everything stays in place.

Question: My rear handle on the sliding door was vertical when I took it off but I feel like I remember seeing on the samba that the handle should be horizontal. Anyone have the definitive answer on that?

2. Finished painting the 2 front grills and got the installed.

3. Put on my new Westfalia decals, front and back.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

175grams wrote:
Question: My rear handle on the sliding door was vertical when I took it off but I feel like I remember seeing on the samba that the handle should be horizontal. Anyone have the definitive answer on that?

Having the Slider handle mounted vertically allows you to use the kinetic force from unlatching the door most efficiently in sliding it.

At least, I think so. Therefore, it does. I think.

Dan
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

shadetreemech wrote:
175grams wrote:

Having the Slider handle mounted vertically allows you to use the kinetic force from unlatching the door most efficiently in sliding it.

Dan

I don't get that reasoning.

I have my HORIZONTAL as its easier to grab when the door is more open - like when I'm laying on the bed and want to shut the door w.o getting up.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
shadetreemech wrote:
175grams wrote:

Dan

I don't get that reasoning.

I have my HORIZONTAL as its easier to grab when the door is more open - like when I'm laying on the bed and want to shut the door w.o getting up.

Okay then. Bentley 70.3:
Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Many thanks first of all to Mark with Markswagen first of all for helping to gather the parts, store them, and then get them installed amongst COVID and everything that’s gone on.

Went with the full front suspension overhaul. Chris at T3 supplied most of the parts (Thank you Chris as well and the VERY prompt mailing and shipping of the lugs for the CLKs).

-Powerflex Bushings all around
-T3 Sway bar
-T3 HD endlinks
-Schwenk 2WD Springs
-Bilstein HD shocks
-Ball joints upper and lower
-New rotors & Pads (Soon to have calipers and SS Brake lines)

Before:

During:

After:

Toyo AT III’s 215/70R16 mounted on CLKs.

Wheels before with lift:

And After:

Fitment:

It fits!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Russpauly wrote:
Many thanks first of all to Mark with Markswagen first of all for helping to gather the parts, store them, and then get them installed amongst COVID and everything that’s gone on.

Went with the full front suspension overhaul. Chris at T3 supplied most of the parts (Thank you Chris as well and the VERY prompt mailing and shipping of the lugs for the CLKs).

HA! You're the one he's been telling me about then! Our van needs a new front end overhaul and he was telling me he was working on a guys who got everything done. Mark's knowledge and skill are absolutely stunning!

Your van is stunning and bet it rides so amazing now!!!
Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

ProspectiveOwnergon wrote:
Russpauly wrote:

HA! You're the one he's been telling me about then! Our van needs a new front end overhaul and he was telling me he was working on a guys who got everything done. Mark's knowledge and skill are absolutely stunning!

Your van is stunning and bet it rides so amazing now!!!

Lol. Mark truly is amazing and his skills and knowledge are phenomenal. No regrets at all on any of the components selected. Figured if I’m going to do it, to do it once and try to get it right the first time. Couldn’t be happier with the setup.
RWestW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

The Good: Put a small felt bad on the forward inboard corner of the stove cover and solved (maybe?) the rattle problem.

The Bad: Wiped the front stove panel where the gas knobs are with an alcohol wipe and stained the surface somehow. Any ideas for a solution would be appreciated. It does not wipe clean or come off with standard cleaner.

The Ugly: Nothing here yet, unless I don't find a way to clean up "The Bad"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 535, 536, 537 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 536 of 630

Jump to: