Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

inverted head step ?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: inverted head step ? Reply with quote

has anyone ever machined an " inverted step " into a head so the cylinder can recess into it and decrease the deck height ?
i have a small stroker im working on, using up some parts i have and pistons im using are B's and deck height is a little to much. weeellll, last guy i had turn my cylinders down a little took 6 weeks to get it done and not any others i can find to do it. then i thought, i bet itd be easier to find someone to machine a recess into the head and wouldn't that accomplish the same thing?
for that matter, i could modify the blade on my flycutter to just cut the step...
like to hear why this would or wouldnt work, not about decking the case or running longer rods etc. there's enough threads about that
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: inverted head step ? Reply with quote

yes you could, but I would rather do the cylinder or use a longer rod.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: inverted head step ? Reply with quote

Sure it's possible, tho it isn't better. The heat path is longer. But within reason it would work fine.

I'm not going to say that altering the stroke, or rod length, stroke, or case surface, or cylinder length is no more or less difficult and is better, because you already know that. Oh wait I just did. Wink
Nightshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: inverted head step ? Reply with quote

Hydrocarbons will increase due to the partially burned and or slower burning fuel left in the slight (crevice volume) gap between the head and the cylinder. This is also why we try to run the top rings as high as we do on the pistons. That area is known as crevice volume. We need to make good use of the air/fuel mixture and keep it in the combustion chamber for optimum performance and emission's.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: inverted head step ? Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:

for that matter, i could modify the blade on my flycutter to just cut the step...
like to hear why this would or wouldnt work...

Concentricity. Make the cut wide enough to account for any shift in bore center between the case and heads.

I don't think electrickery works that way
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: