Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

K&L beetle beam - BD mods
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Gaudet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: K&L beetle beam - BD mods Reply with quote

Hi there,

So I have a BD with a custom 64-67 narrowed bus beam. I have 356A brake set for both front and rear. I have the rear all sorted out (easy). Now comes the challenge. It will be impossible to fit the 356 brakes to the later bus spindles. So I was thinking of using a stock beetle front beam and modify it to fit the BD chassis. I would then use beetle trailing arms and spindles to get the 356 backing plates and drums to fit.

The mods to the beam would include moving the mounting brackets from the front center to the rear outer. I will be using a later 55-67 steering box so appropriate center pin mount bracket will be fabricated for this setup. I will also install adjusters in the center to provide some adjustment.

My question is this. Can I get away with stock beetle torsion leaves? Has anyone installed a sway bar on this type of setup?

And lastly, does anyone know of a shop that builds a beam like I described above? Maybe it's already available.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: K&L beetle beam - BD mods Reply with quote

I've always wondered about doing this. Why couldn't it work? Maybe the weight rating of the torsion springs? Maybe upgrade the springs to the ones offered for off-road use.. Are beetle trailing arms the correct length to position the wheels correctly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: K&L beetle beam - BD mods Reply with quote

Terry,

I've never seen what you're proposing, but I'd assume the torsion springs would be too soft.

But it's fairly easy to adapt beetle stock height spindles to the BD trailing arms, just need to make a custom LP bushing and a few spacers. This gives you a good drop, and the 356 brakes will bolt on.

As you don't have the BD beam, maybe you can adapt the beetle spindles to later 55-63 arms, not sure if it'll work. Your current 64-67 arms wouldn't work as they have the bigger LP.

Lanner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: K&L beetle beam - BD mods Reply with quote

flat wrote:
Terry,

I've never seen what you're proposing, but I'd assume the torsion springs would be too soft.

But it's fairly easy to adapt beetle stock height spindles to the BD trailing arms, just need to make a custom LP bushing and a few spacers. This gives you a good 3" or so drop, and the 356 brakes will bolt on.

Lanner

He's already contacted me about the bug/barndoor hybrid spindles I offer. He's hung up on have a late bus set up in his BD already and them not working on it.
If it was me I'd make a barndoor beam, side steer as stock and run my spindles.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by mr. warehouse on Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: K&L beetle beam - BD mods Reply with quote

Hey Greg,

Your setup would work if he swapped to 55-63 arms right? Same size LP as BDs if I'm not mistaken.

Lanner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: K&L beetle beam - BD mods Reply with quote

flat wrote:
Hey Greg,

Your setup would work if he swapped to 55-63 arms right? Same size LP as BDs if I'm not mistaken.

Lanner

In the barndoor spindle conversion thread there was a conversation about the distance between the tubes, affecting arm angle, etc. It might work though. Early arms would do the trick.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=370963
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: K&L beetle beam - BD mods Reply with quote

I am currently thinking about exactly that setup. haven't started on the beam. But you should know that the distance between axle tube centers is different between the axles. but of course can be fixed with reworking the shocktower lenghts inbetween the tubes. also the tubing diam is different so you need shims welded to a bug axle to fit the og BD frame cutouts. trailing arm length should be pretty close between bugs and buses. At this point I have no way of confirming if this will work/ride/handle well.

Terry Gaudet wrote:
Hi there,

So I was thinking of using a stock beetle front beam and modify it to fit the BD chassis. I would then use beetle trailing arms and spindles to get the 356 backing plates and drums to fit.

The mods to the beam would include moving the mounting brackets from the front center to the rear outer.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: K&L beetle beam - BD mods Reply with quote

Terry Gaudet wrote:
It will be impossible to fit the 356 brakes to the later bus spindles.

It is not impossible, its been done multiple times before. Adam Bruno did it on his '61 mangobus. David Mayes did it on his '59 doublecab. 10ftDoug put 356 brakes on his barndoor spindles. Doug wrote and article in HotVWs on the conversion.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rusting Hulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: K&L beetle beam - BD mods Reply with quote

flat wrote:
Hey Greg,

Lanner

If you mean putting latter bus arms in a barndoor beam, then they wont fit, because of the shape of the torsion leaves. Barndoor leaves are square.

Terry if you currently have 22mm link pins on your beam, just wondering if you could bush/sleeve the eyes in the arms to take the 20mm links as Greg supplies. I appreciate this would be a thin sleeve, but it could work??
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: K&L beetle beam - BD mods Reply with quote

I think you'd definitely be better off using a bus beam for lots of reasons. The tube diameter, torsion spring rate etc. You can easily fit the 356 brakes as mentioned above. There are no benefits in using a beetle beam

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
flat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: K&L beetle beam - BD mods Reply with quote

Rusting Hulk wrote:
flat wrote:
Hey Greg,

Lanner

If you mean putting latter bus arms in a barndoor beam, then they wont fit, because of the shape of the torsion leaves. Barndoor leaves are square.

Terry if you currently have 22mm link pins on your beam, just wondering if you could bush/sleeve the eyes in the arms to take the 20mm links as Greg supplies. I appreciate this would be a thin sleeve, but it could work??

Understood on BD beam, but he has a late split beam in it. Sleeving the arms is a good idea.
Terry Gaudet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: K&L beetle beam - BD mods Reply with quote

Great feedback on this topic. Thank you all for chiming in.

So from what I understand, someone has adapted 356 front brakes to a late style bus beam (63-67)?

If that is the case, could I please have that person's name so I can contact them and get working on the conversion.

I know it will require some custom sized bearings and maybe some machining to the spindle or the ID of the drums as well as some custom mounting for the backing plates.

Once I get in touch with someone who has already done it, I will be in heaven, because I will be able to keep my late split bus beam that is already on the bus and use the 356 brakes that are patiently waiting on a shelf....lol

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: K&L beetle beam - BD mods Reply with quote

Terry Gaudet wrote:
Great feedback on this topic. Thank you all for chiming in.

So from what I understand, someone has adapted 356 front brakes to a late style bus beam (63-67)?

If that is the case, could I please have that person's name so I can contact them and get working on the conversion.

I know it will require some custom sized bearings and maybe some machining to the spindle or the ID of the drums as well as some custom mounting for the backing plates.

Once I get in touch with someone who has already done it, I will be in heaven, because I will be able to keep my late split bus beam that is already on the bus and use the 356 brakes that are patiently waiting on a shelf....lol

The people who I know who have done it have all put them on earlier bus spindles, but it is still possible to do it with your beam. David Mayes had his spindles machined down to beetle/porsche size. I think this is possible with late split spindles also. Both Adam and Doug used spacers, different wheel bearings and different wheel seals for a full bolt on experience. Doug's was on barndoor spindles. Adam's was on '55-'63 spindles. You can make a set of these spindles work with your beam by having them reworked with '64-'67 link pin carriers, or you can put early model trailing arms in your late beam. Either way, you will need to change spindles, but it does bolt and press together. You need to get friendly with you local machine shop/fabrication shop, or spend some money shipping heavy parts.

David is unavailable for comment on his conversion, since he left this world a decade ago. Doug wrote up his conversion for HotVWs magazine, and he is here on thesamba, and generally helpful with information. Adam runs a shop in Spokane Washington, and he is very well versed in marrying porsche parts to VWs.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=66603
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10614
https://brunoenterprises.org/
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: K&L beetle beam - BD mods Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:
flat wrote:
Terry,

But it's fairly easy to adapt beetle stock height spindles to the BD trailing arms, just need to make a custom LP bushing and a few spacers. This gives you a good 3" or so drop, and the 356 brakes will bolt on.

Lanner

He's already contacted me about the bug/barndoor hybrid spindles I offer. He's hung up on have a late bus set up in his BD already and them not working on it.

The vintage warehouse style swap certainly the easiest/best option to get the 356 brakes on.

You do not need to build a completely new beam because another option would be to convert your existing beam to BD style side steer, because you need the high tierod location for Type1/356 spindles. Then adapt 55-62 bus trailing arms to your 63-67 beam with adapter bushings on the outer bushing surface of each trailing arm. From there you could easily do the Type 1 spindle swap....or you could install Barndoor Spindles onto the 55-62 arms and do a 10 foot Doug/HotVWs brake swap.

I can't imagine any advantage of Beetle torsion bars on a much heavier bus chassis. 55 and later bus torsions seemed to cure issues of breakage and harsh ride that barndoor torsion bars were prone to.
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: K&L beetle beam - BD mods Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
mr. warehouse wrote:
flat wrote:
Terry,

Lanner

The vintage warehouse style swap certainly the easiest/best option to get the 356 brakes on.

You do not need to build a completely new beam because another option would be to convert your existing beam to BD style side steer, because you need the high tierod location for Type1/356 spindles. Then adapt 55-62 bus trailing arms to your 63-67 beam with adapter bushings on the outer bushing surface of each trailing arm. From there you could easily do the Type 1 spindle swap....or you could install Barndoor Spindles onto the 55-62 arms and do a 10 foot Doug/HotVWs brake swap.

I can't imagine any advantage of Beetle torsion bars on a much heavier bus chassis. 55 and later bus torsions seemed to cure issues of breakage and harsh ride that barndoor torsion bars were prone to.

Yup, nock the center collar out and your good to go. Solves the hunt looking for barndoor only torsions Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: