Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle A Pillar
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Beetle A Pillar Reply with quote

My a pillar skin was totally shot so I removed it and the inner pillar looks a bit nasty but still seems solid. My question is does the hinge part go to the heater channel and if not would you replace this piece or just leave it, treat it and move on?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Traveling in a fried-out Kombi
On a hippie trail head full of zombie"
-Men at Work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle A Pillar Reply with quote

No, your hinge plate is just a piece of flat steel with a "U" groove in it and four threaded holes. It floats in that area, mostly left to right, for door alignment. You can probably reach up behind the opening on the bottom and feel the edge of it.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle A Pillar Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
No, your hinge plate is just a piece of flat steel with a "U" groove in it and four threaded holes. It floats in that area, mostly left to right, for door alignment. You can probably reach up behind the opening on the bottom and feel the edge of it.

Sorry, I should’ve been more clear. I know about the hinge plate. I’m asking about the inner a pillar. Does it go to the heater channel? I took the A pillar skin off (Picture) and it exposed the inner a pillar. See the gap at the bottom? Is that intentional or does it go to the heater channel? Thanks and hopefully this makes sense...? I’m trying my best to be descriptive as I’m terrible at it lol

-Men at Work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle A Pillar Reply with quote

Hard to tell because the front layer is gone. I replaced that piece on my drivers side, but honestly can't remember. Here's a replacement panel, but it looks like it's only for the part you already removed.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/111805352EC.html?utm...anels.html

If it was me, I'd weld it solid to the rocker channel because the "A" pillar is a major structural component of the body.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle A Pillar Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
Hard to tell because the front layer is gone. I replaced that piece on my drivers side, but honestly can't remember. Here's a replacement panel, but it looks like it's only for the part you already removed.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/111805352EC.html?utm...anels.html

If it was me, I'd weld it solid to the rocker channel because the "A" pillar is a major structural component of the body.

Yeah, I got that piece already. I was really just wondering about the inner part. I’ll just clean it up and leave it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-Men at Work
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle A Pillar Reply with quote

Inner piece does not go all the way to the heater channel.
Marion, Iowa
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: