Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

‘75 La Grande sunroof inner tray design
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: ‘75 La Grande sunroof inner tray design Reply with quote

Discovered water leak in my sunroof tray after removing the headliner. My drain tubes were all draining well but found if a bit too much water is introduced it will leak out the sides above the rear windows. Not good and can ruin your headliner. Is the sunroof tray supposed to be completely sealed to the inner roof? I also noticed that on both sides of the tray there are soft gray seals that seem to be squeezing out. Are these water seals? Is this supposed to be a water tight tray?
Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘75 La Grande sunroof inner tray design Reply with quote

Have you tried blowing out the drain tubes with air?
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: ‘75 La Grande sunroof inner tray design Reply with quote

There is a good thread by VW Jimbo on the later model sunroofs here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘75 La Grande sunroof inner tray design Reply with quote

Thanks Volcrew. I can now see that this tray” is designed to handle only so much water. If overwhelmed with water it will spill over into the headliner and down the sides and eventually to the floor. Not good. It is of the utmost importance to keep the 4 drain tubes clear. This sunroof tray is not welded to the roof skin so there is a gap. There is a soft round gray seal forced into the gap to help prevent water spilling out of the tray. It can do only so much though. I am learning a whole lot as I go through the steps involved to restore this La Grande Super.
Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘75 La Grande sunroof inner tray design Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
There is a soft round gray seal forced into the gap to help prevent water spilling out of the tray.

Likely more for preventing wind whistles and drafts, if the drains are clear and the felt is intact the tide should never get that high. If it's a downpour so furious it overwhelms the drains the car is likely floating away too.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: